[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting from the basement Strategy...

cre8tiff

I really like some of the teams I see listed here, and a couple of them look very familiar to some teams I drafted. See, that wasn't so bad now was it?

The great thing about this strategy is that IF you hit with your RB2 or your RB3, you are probably going to maul the rest of the league, but even if you don't find a gem at RB2, you are probably still going to find yourself in the playoffs. And we all know anything can happen when you get there.

Great work guys! Best of luck to all of you that had faith in my theory. Hopefully we will all be rewarded.

I didn't give you credit before in the title, but Thank you! I drew two bottom rungs this year, and I think I have much stronger teams than I would have otherwise.

:D:clap:

I drafted at 11 and believe I will have a boom or bust type season. My league starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 D. I just can't tell whether or not I did a good job. The draft did go a little different this year...any thoughts are appreciated.

1.11: Rudi Johnson

2.2: Travis Henry

3.11: Antonio Gates

4.2: Clinton Portis

5.11: Deion Branch

6.2: Reggie Brown

7.11: Ladell Betts

8.2: Jerious Norwood

9.11: Panthers D

10.2: Ben Rothlisberger

11.11: Matt Jones

12.2: Patrick Crayton

13.11: Robbie Gould

14.2: Raiders D

15.11: Devin Hester

16.2: Rex Grossman

Now it's obvious that I have a pretty weak QB situation, but they went early as did the first tier of good WR - so I am very heavy RB wise. If I knew now what I didn't know during the draft, I would have probably taken Drew Brees and Travis Henry and been a happier camper. Overall I am not real happy with my team, but I think I can swing a deal if Norwood or the Betts/Portis combo works out. No matter what, I can watch football with joy this year on my new 50" plasma, so life is not that bad :D

I drafted at 11 and believe I will have a boom or bust type season. My league starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 D. I just can't tell whether or not I did a good job. The draft did go a little different this year...any thoughts are appreciated.

1.11: Rudi Johnson

2.2: Travis Henry

3.11: Antonio Gates

4.2: Clinton Portis

5.11: Deion Branch

6.2: Reggie Brown

... I can watch football with joy this year on my new 50" plasma, so life is not that bad :wacko:

This is exactly the way my basement teams used to look in the past before applying Kevin's Basement Strategy. Your two #1 RBs are already "lagging" behind those top RB picks.

Based on this strategy, Gates at 3 was a solid pick but your #2 should have been spent on one of the stud WRs. Your team is so similar to the headaches I have had in the past it is amazing. A solid group of WDIS RBs on a week to week basis (better guess right :D ), and a throw 'em out there and see what happens WR corps (always frustrating with a few good weeks but mostly :D Brown was great value in the 6th).

Look at my team and you will see that Norwood is my #2 RB. A risk, but at least the main guy in an RBBC that may suprise! Betts is my bench guy unless Portis goes down (likely) and my bye week fill-in. My starting WR/TE group of CJ/Evens/Holmes/Gates (Three top 20 WRs and the #1 TE according to The Huddle rankings) is a pretty solid group and I am confident will outscore, as a group, just about anyone elses same group (in my league) on a weekly basis. I have to hope that my RBs hold the line and not kill me, the gamble to this draft strategy. My two solid Ds can be played against the match-ups and I hope to steal some points there as well.

I am not quite as confident about playoffs as Kevin is, but I do like my chances. I do know that this was a fresh approach that has rekindled some of the ho-hum appraoch I have had to FF the last few years. THANX KEVIN!

Good Luck!

I got stuck with the last pick in a 14-team ppr league. It's a work league with a decent amount of noobs, so I wanted to select a QB a little earlier than I normally would so I wouldn't end up with crap. Still, I expected more running backs to fall to me like last year, but it appears they're learning. Starting lineup is QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB, K, TE, D.

1. (14) Chad Johnson WR

2. (15) Travis Henry RB

3. (42) Donovan McNabb QB

4. (43) Andre Johnson WR

5. (70) Ladell Betts RB

6. (71) LaMont Jordan RB

7. (98) Devery Henderson WR

8. (99) Warrick Dunn RB

9. (126) Jerry Porter WR

10. (127) Dominic Rhodes RB

11. (154) Bo Scaife TE

12. (155) Jacksonville DEF

13. (182) Jason Campbell QB

14. (183) Michael Jenkins WR

15. (210) Josh Scobee K

I ended up going RB/WR like the article suggested, passing over backs like Ronnie Brown, Maurice Jones-Drew, McGahee, etc. I was really happy to get Andre Johnson in the 4th as my #2 WR in ppr over backs like McAllister, Carnell Williams and Ahman Green. I'm glad I picked McNabb in the 3rd, because when it got back to me there was nothing there at QB. Then I just starting grabbing running backs to throw against the wall and see what sticks, ended up with Betts, Jordan/Rhodes, Dunn and dropped Jenkins for Chris Brown.

I like the way my team ended up, I usually play in 12-team leagues, so its hard for me to judge the strength of my team. The way I see it, I have more confidence in one of my rbs panning out than the alternative of having a Joey Galloway or Vincent Jackson as my #2 WR instead of Andre Johnson.

Edited by gsmayes

I took the best player available in each round and this is how it turned out, RB's flew off the board...........by 36 they(RB) didn't have the value, so I went with the Value stradegy............The only lame pick was Peterson but you have to have one player to drop to make moves I guess..........

1. (12) Travis Henry

2. (13) Steve Smith

3. (36) Antonio Gates

4. (37) Larry Fitzgerald

5. (60) Chester Taylor

6. (61) Ladell Betts

7. (84) Jerricho Cotchery

8. (85) Devery Henderson

9. (108) Jake Delhomme

10. (109) Eli Manning

11. (132) Dallas

12. (133) Bo Scaife

13. (156) Adrian Peterson

14. (157) Jacoby Jones

15. (180) Josh Scobee

I dropped Adrian Peterson after I re-evaluated my draft and Picked up James Jones, I think he has a huge upside......So I followed the basement stradegy and re-evaluated also and made changes.....we'll see what happens......

Yeah, I think I probably screwed the pooch on this one. I went back and forth on picking up Peterson in the 4th and could have had Driver to round out a solid 3 WR set. I couldn't jump off the cliff for Betts or Jordan as my RB2 and the result (IMHO) is that my WR3 and my RB2 leave a lot to be desired. Unless Peterson or one of my RB2s really hits, I may be stuck in the middle to bottom this year.

Round Pick Player Position

1. (11) Travis Henry RB - Happy he fell to me at 11. Let's knock on wood and hope he stays healthy.

2. (14) Steve Smith WR - like the schedule and the atitude.

3. (35) Adrian Peterson RB - Oh man, this is one I could be kicking myself throughout he year

4. (38) Andre Johnson WR - Let's hope Schaub to Johnson becomes a regular occurrence.

5. (59) Ladell Betts RB - It's a PPR. Maybe he shoulders the load late.

6. (62) Tony Romo QB -Romo was the last of my sleeper picks (Young, 2nd Round!)

7. (83) LaMont Jordan RB - Happy to find him here.

8. (86) Jerry Porter WR - Is this his year?

9. (107) Isaac Bruce WR - He's been saying this is his MVP year. Probably his last.

10. (110) Benjamin Watson TE - ugh.

11. (131) Patrick Crayton WR - Plug in WR3.

12. (134) Carolina DEF

13. (155) Bo Scaife TE - PPR monser? I hate Watson so I hope so.

14. (158) James Jones WR - Jennings already has a tweaked hammy. Someone has to catch in GB.

15. (179) Matt Stover K - Selvin young was nabbed the last pick before me in the 15th.

BTW Jordan went at 7.1, I was hoping he would fall to me at 7.8 :D The guy that took him was the only GM that would have taken him there! The bastage did me twice like this with falling RBs.

yeah I was done like that in my local....

my RB's would be SJax/Henry/ADP/Chester/Jordan...

I would feel very confident about that...not that I'm not already feeling good...

...but still...I am what some might call a RB whooore

also...I drafted in the basement....might as well add my lineup before the 2 trades I made....

I drafted unconventionally because I could say I had my head up my arse when I drafted.....and didn't take Bush and FWP with my scoring that awards PPR, 2 pts per 10 rec yds to RB's and every rec TD for a RB 9-12 pts depending on the distance...

1.10 Henry

2.1 CJ

3.10 MJD

4.1 Boldin

5.10 ADP

6.1 Portis

7.10 Winslow

8.1 Leinart

9.10 Henderson

10.1 Ma. Clayton

11.10 Schaub

12.1 Hackett

13.10 Vikings D/ST

14.1 B Marshall

15.10 Jennings

16.10 Roethlisberger

17.1 Rackers

18.10 Marcedes

of course after that I traded CJ/Portis/Schaub for AJax/S Holmes and then traded MJD/Winslow for Cooley/Chester/Walker....plus I dropped Marcedes for Jacoby Jones....

...and still trying to make moves to build the team I want...and yes I did rip off the SJax owner...but he hit me with the trade.....and I'm not a retard....