[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Craphonso Thorpe

URLACHERisGOD

In addition to having a fun name, Thorpe has outperfomed highly touted Gonzalez. Best I can tell, Thorpe is around #7 on Indy's depth chart. This kid was a riot to watch at FSU before his injury. What's the buzz in Indy about this kid? Will he make the team? Will he be a contributor?

Here has what he has done so far this pre-season:

5 for 68, 1 TD vs Lions

2 for 18, 1 TD vs Bears

3 for 25, 0 TD vs Dallas

My dad and I were discussing this today. The Colts depth chart has Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, Moorehead, and Roy Hall. The sixth WR is Standeford, but Thorpe has been better than him. Honestly, Thorpe has been better than Roy Hall as well. I could see him making the team as the sixth WR. The Colts let him return some kicks against the Lions as well.

Edited by CaptainHook

IIRC, he was a 3rd round pick by KC a year or two ago and then cut before camp was over. He was advertised as a big hit-or-miss type draft pick ...

He had had a hugh injury his last year at Florida State, and KC thought he was all healed up ... but, he may have needed another year or two to heal up ... Again, iirc, he was a physical specimen ... and very quick/fast.

My dad and I were discussing this today. The Colts depth chart has Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, Moorehead, and Roy Hall. The sixth WR is Standeford, but Thorpe has been better than him. Honestly, Thorpe has been better than Roy Hall as well. I could see him making the team as the sixth WR. The Colts let him return some kicks against the Lions as well.

Will he be a contributor?

In other words... No.

All I know about Craphonso is that his name makes me think the urban myths about "LeMongelo and Orangelo"(the mom liked lemon Jello and orange jello) and "Nosmo King" (sign seen on the way into the delivery room that the mother thought sounded real good) maybe aren't all that far-fetched.

from today's Indy Star:

Despite playing well on offense and special teams during the Indianapolis Colts' preseason, the first-year receiver and kick returner realizes nothing is guaranteed about a spot on the final 53-player roster.

The first NFL-mandated cut to 75 players must be made by this afternoon. The final cut, to 53, is Saturday.

"I've been in positions before where I thought that I had a pretty good shot of making the team and been cut," Thorpe said after a brief workout Monday evening.

A fourth-round draft pick of Kansas City in 2005, he failed to survive the final cut. The Chiefs also cut him prior to the '06 season. Thorpe spent time on the practice squads in Detroit and Houston the past two seasons, only to be released.

"That's happened a few times so, really, honestly, I don't even give any thought to it," he said. "I just come out and work hard and let the cards fall where they will. At the end of the day, it's the coaches' decision, not mine, so it doesn't really matter what I think."

Thorpe leads the team in receiving (11 catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns) and has been the Colts' most effective returner. He has averaged 31 yards on four kickoffs and 13.8 on four punt returns.

Last season, veteran Terrence Wilkins was the Colts' primary return man. He ranked in the top 10 in the AFC in kickoffs (24.5 yards per return) and punts (9.2). He was a frequent catalyst, and his 82-yard punt return for a touchdown was instrumental in a 21-14 win over Jacksonville.

It's conceivable the Colts will take a more diverse approach this season.

"I'm not really hung up on one guy doing it,'' coach Tony Dungy said.

In the mix with Thorpe are cornerback T.J. Rushing and running back Kenton Keith. Rushing missed Saturday's game against Detroit with a hamstring injury but is expected to handle the return duties in the first half Friday at Cincinnati.

"I think we're going to be fine," Dungy said.

Thorpe hopes that includes him making the final cut.

"I'm trying to take advantage of (the opportunity) because everybody knows this is the NFL and you don't get too many chances," he said.

I predict his contribution will be minimal IF he makes the team. From a FF perspective...he's worthless. IF he makes the team, I'm gonna roll with about 185 yds rec and maybe 0.6 TD for the year.....hope this helps.

Edited by Hitman

Awwww Crap!!! :D

Per KFFL:

Colts | Thorpe waived from team

Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:17:13 -0700

The Indianapolis Colts announced WR Craphonso Thorpe has been waived from the team.

More significantly,RB DeDe Dorsey was cut as well......guess they have other plans for the back up to Addai? :D

KFFL:

Colts | Dorsey waived from team

Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:12:25 -0700

The Indianapolis Colts announced RB DeDe Dorsey has been waived from the team.

Edited by Hitman