[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am such a nerd

AtomicCEO

Maguire attacking big screen in "Robotech"

By Borys Kit Sat Sep 8, 2:51 PM ET

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - After slipping on a mask for Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire might be slipping into a giant robot for "Robotech."

After a lengthy negotiation, Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up feature rights to "Robotech," a 1980s Japanese cartoon series with giant robots known as mechas. Maguire is eyeing the lead role, and will serve as a producer.

"We are very excited to bring 'Robotech' to the big screen," Maguire said. "There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

The $686 million worldwide box office success of "Transformers" has inspired other studios to assemble giant robot movies. Last month, Fox-based Regency picked up 1980s Japanese anime series "Voltron."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

You can have your Star Trek, your Star Wars, your comics, and your Lord of the Rings. I am a certified Robotech nerd. I own all the episodes, the soundtrack, the videogames, and have read all 18 novels. Is there any chance in the world that I won't be disappointed by this movie?

So for clarification... MaGuire's company is producing the film, and Warner Brothers is hoping it will become a franchise, so they are putting money behind it.

I have seen Macross Plus. I also have the 3 pilot episodes of the new American cartoon series they tried to make, but failed. Robotech: The Next Generation, I think it was called.