[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Pistoleers

Caveman_Nick

Here's the scenario:

In the land surrounding one of my common vacation caves, there has been a serious uptick in the coyote activity. Disturbingly, these coyotes have started to learn to pack up to hunt for food. This past vacation, a few weeks back, three of the buggers kept coming around our campsite towards the end of the week, and I would not be surprised to see them attack someone when we are up there. For a coyote to be less than 50 yards from a cabin that has 4+ adult humans is pretty brazen. A buddy had to take shots at them to get them to run off this time. Who knows how they will act as they get more bold. Time to get prepared. I'd hate to get jumped by a pack of canines while I was answering nature's call in the middle of the night.

By my choice of location for my every-day cave, I guess you could consider me somewhat of a metro-caveman. You have to be to get by in Massachusetts. While I have always been in favor of people exercising their second ammendment rights, I have been procrastinating on exercising mine for many years. The time has come to take action, however, and I have begun the necessery and arduous process of obtaining an LTC in MA.

For the sake of background, in order to own a handgun in MA, you need an LTC. These licenses are given out as class B for handguns that are not condsidered high capacity and class A for handguns that are considered high capacity. Often a class A will be given out restricted to ownership and not allow the person to carry concealed for all lawful purposes, and with a class B you can not carry concealed at all. That is not the issue here...just a small amount of background on MA gun licensing.

Also in MA, the decisions regarding pistol permits and who they are issued to lies with the chief of police in each individual town. In my town, the chief has a blanket policy that he does not issue class A licenses to first time applicants unless it is for a demonstrable work need or something similar. I have no chance and will get issued a class B license if everything checks out and the chief doesn't decide he hates what I am wearing/my hair color/any old thing that makes him decide not to allow me to exercise my contitutional right. Yes, he can do this.

So, once I get my class B license, I need to make a decision on if I am going to buy a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol. This is where you all come in :D I was hoping to hear about what experienced huddlers thought of the pros and cons of each as a weapon that would be used mainly 1) on a range to practice and 2) for self defense carry as necessary in an unpopulated woods region. This would probably be my only pistol.

I would be interested in what brands people prefer and why. It's important to note that "large capacity" means that the pistol is capable of holding more than ten rounds. Any experience with particular brands would be good to know. Level of maintenance would be good to know about (I'm a low maintenance kind of guy). Caliber isn't really as important to the discussion for me. I have shot many levels of pistol, and if I were purchasing would probably look towards either a revolver that is intended to shoot .357 magnum or 38+p, or a semi-automatic shooting 9mm, or possibly .45 caliber. I have not shot a .40 cal at this time, but should have the chance to try one out before I go purchasing as both of my cop friends prefer have them as standard issue.

Simplicity of operation, accuracy, reliability, and ease of maintenance are my top concerns. Thanks for any input :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Here's my take... I own a revolver (.357 magnum) and a semi-auto (.40 Sigma). For purposes of home defense I really like the convenience of being able to keep a clip loaded but not locked in the pistol. I can very quickly get this weapon loaded and ready to pick bad guys off on the wing. However, when it comes to accuracy, the action of the revolver is much more forgiving than the semi-auto.

If I can take my time and want to be accurate, I would choose the revolver every time. If I want to protect my family in the middle of the night, I would choose the semi-auto every time.

That's why I have both. :D

I'm thinking that a .357 fits the bill.

To begin with, it sounds like its easier to obtain in your neck of the woods. But mostly because simplicity of operation, accuracy, reliability, and ease of maintenance are your top concerns. The revolver tops the pistol in all of those areas except accuracy (I believe that they are about equal in that regard out of the box, but there are many variables such as weight and barrel length.)

The chief advantage to a pistol is higher capacity, but this doesn't appear to be important to you. Although a pistol is more fun at the range since you typically do not have to reload as much.

It the city I'd probably load it with .38 +P loads. But out in the country I'd use full .357 loads. You'll want to practice with both to make sure that you can handle the additional blast and recoil of the .357 round. (If you ain't accurate with it, you ain't going to want to use it.) A coyote isn't going to like either round, but the full .357 rounds will turn it inside out.

If you're not going to carry it, I'd look into a full frame revolver like the S & W 686.

Good luck.

Edited by Furd

Man, first off I am really sure I will never live in MA because it would end up like Ruby Ridge there if they thought I was going to fill out paperwork to own the guns I have. That blows me away. Do the police wear brown shirts and click their heels together?

Anyway, if you cannot have a "high capacity" pistol and your primary purposes would be shooting a coyote or home defense (and you only want to own one gun), then Furd is probably right on. The difference between a revolver and a pistol is that pistols do not kick quite as much since the energy is expended a little in moving the slide back and inserting a new shell. But the higher the caliber, the more it will jump anyway. A revolver is very simple not only to shoot but to clean. One question here is if you have kids in the house. If you do, then a pistol may be better than a revolver since you can keep the pistol empty and just slap in a clip whever the nazi police state bad guys show up. If you have kids and want access to the gun quickly, I would recommend either a 9 mm or a .40 cal semi-auto. There are tons of them and that sort of depends on how much you want to spend. Pretty much all handgun manufacturers make one but I would lean towards the more expensive one that you can buy - there are more moving parts on a pistol than a revolver so quality counts even more. The Sig that was mentioned is a great gun, I love my Glock 17, and Colt, Smith, etc. all make models like that.

Revolvers are very simple to fire, load and clean. I own a .357 Ruger which was one of my first guns and target shooting is cheap with .38 special ammo (it chambers both .38 and .357 - only difference in the two is the length of the cartridge). From what you said, I would recommend a .357 as well but only if you want to keep it readily loaded and do NOT have kids in the house. There is a fair amount of accuracy difference between a 6" and a 4" barrel and so if you want to take pot shots at coyotes, then stick with the 6" barrel. The boom from a .357 alone would send a coyote running. Plus at night it shoots out a decent size flame too. If you ever expect to shoot a .357 inside an enclosed room at home, do not expect to hear very well the next day.

Revolvers tend to cost less than a pistol, are easier to shoot, load and clean and can be accurate with the 6" barrel. Probably your best bet. Smith and Wesson makes great ones, Colts too though they can be pricey. Ruger makes a good one and Taurus are okay.

As a sidenote, my next gun purchase is going to be a Smith & Wesson MP 15. Bet that would freak out your police chief.

Here's my take... I own a revolver (.357 magnum) and a semi-auto (.40 Sigma). For purposes of home defense I really like the convenience of being able to keep a clip loaded but not locked in the pistol. I can very quickly get this weapon loaded and ready to pick bad guys off on the wing. However, when it comes to accuracy, the action of the revolver is much more forgiving than the semi-auto.

If I can take my time and want to be accurate, I would choose the revolver every time. If I want to protect my family in the middle of the night, I would choose the semi-auto every time.

That's why I have both. :D

I have to echo SB here. I also own both. I have a .357 Magnum and two .40 Glocks. The .357 is the gun I always take to the range. They're fun to shoot and pretty accurate as well. If I had to shoot at a target 40-50 yards away, I would use the .357. The .40's I have around the house I use for protection and I use them when I work and have to carry the deposits to the bank. If the need arises, I can get to them pretty quickly and they're great at close range which is what you need in the home.

In your situation, a revolver would probably be the better choice.

Edited by 'canes2004

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I have no kids and am not planning on having any. My nieces and nephew have been to my house only very breifly, and the chances of me entertaining them are really, really low.

I am almost not even worried about home protection for these purposes. Once I have obtained proper licensing, any home protection issues would be remedied with something along the lines of a Remington 870 (I think that's the model...?) shotgun. Mainly the handgun is intended for dealing with potential issues in the wild, and of course practicing at the range.

From the sound of things, I would probably be best off for my purposes with the .357 revolver, which was the direction I was leaning to start with. S&W sells models with 6. 7 and 8 shot capacity, so that sill probably do the trick for me.

@ Furd and DMD...I had also been leaning towards getting a shorter barrel honetly just for convenience of carry. I realize thie is somewhat opposite from having a high accuracy requirement, and truthfully that was lower on my list. Of course if I am shooting at something I want to hit it, which is where the listing of accuracy came in. I also realize that accuracy is much more dependant on the shooter than the gun, considering that the gun is properly maintained. I am not sure I would ever actually shoot a coyote, but if they were near I would be more than happy to scare the crap out of them. The shorter barrel also is part of the reason I was leaning towards keeping with the .38 +P loads. Either way, I will certainly be sure to kee in practice with whatever ammunition I may have need to fire.

Thanks for the input folks :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

My three in preference : (1) my Dad's Officer issue .45 auto(never jammed in 30+ years) (2) Glock .40 ( light, accurate and means bidness, also not prone to jamming) (3) S&W .357 (the handgun of handguns, heck shooting and missing scares most anything away)

Heck, for 50 yards or less I'd buy a pistol-caliber carbine, or even a pump shotgun. And the pump would work well for home defense. If you aren't going to carry it... Much easier to shoot accurately, especially under the high stress of a home invasion scenario.

If you must have a handgun, the advice above is good, I would suggest a Ruger. It's not that they are fine firearms, they aren't refined, usually don't have the best triggers, and are a little heavy. But they freakin' work. They go bang every time with good ammo and don't EVER break. This is true with either a semi or a revolver. I'd check out a GP-100 revolver with a 4" barrel, or a P-series revolver. Either can be had down in GA for less than $400 generally.

Heck, for 50 yards or less I'd buy a pistol-caliber carbine, or even a pump shotgun. And the pump would work well for home defense. If you aren't going to carry it... Much easier to shoot accurately, especially under the high stress of a home invasion scenario.

If you must have a handgun, the advice above is good, I would suggest a Ruger. It's not that they are fine firearms, they aren't refined, usually don't have the best triggers, and are a little heavy. But they freakin' work. They go bang every time with good ammo and don't EVER break. This is true with either a semi or a revolver. I'd check out a GP-100 revolver with a 4" barrel, or a P-series revolver. Either can be had down in GA for less than $400 generally.

Honestly...it'd not that I "must have a handgun", but I can't see myself hauling a pistol caliber carbine or pump shotgun out with me everytime I have to take a leak after dark :D

It sounds like you might have just skimmed the first post or something....home invasion is not a worry for this case. I will certainly be investing in a shotgun for home defense. This is more about dealing with ornery wildlife when camping

I appreciate the info on the pistols though :D

Honestly...it'd not that I "must have a handgun", but I can't see myself hauling a pistol caliber carbine or pump shotgun out with me everytime I have to take a leak after dark :D

It sounds like you might have just skimmed the first post or something....home invasion is not a worry for this case. I will certainly be investing in a shotgun for home defense. This is more about dealing with ornery wildlife when camping

I appreciate the info on the pistols though :D

You're right, that's exactly what I did. OK, I'd go for a 4" GP100. Take the money you saved over the S&W and have a trigger job done. For the same cost, you then have a gun that will NEVER shoot loose with full-house .357 loads.

Oh, and a 1911 is a GREAT gun, (I carry an officers model with a bunch of work done to it) but not for a beginner. If you intend to put a LOT of range time in with the gun, then by all means, start at the top. If not, well...

You're right, that's exactly what I did. OK, I'd go for a 4" GP100. Take the money you saved over the S&W and have a trigger job done. For the same cost, you then have a gun that will NEVER shoot loose with full-house .357 loads.

Oh, and a 1911 is a GREAT gun, (I carry an officers model with a bunch of work done to it) but not for a beginner. If you intend to put a LOT of range time in with the gun, then by all means, start at the top. If not, well...

Can you elaborate a little? I am a bit of a gun rookie, so whatever thought process is behind this is lost on me.

EDIT: okay, after some time and a chance to look up the pistols you reference, I see what you are saying. when you refer to 'having a trigger job done', I assume you mean take the weapon to a gunsmith and have the trigger replaced? :D

the top concern being the need to use the pistol in a pressure situation without fumbling. And yes....I do plan to practice :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Be a man, buy a sword.

I own many swords, and I train with them. But for the same reason a shotgun is not the right answer, I don't want to have to wrap my obi and stuff a katana and wakazashi or tanto into it to take a pee at 3 AM.

EDIT: Obi == japanese wrapped belt used to hold a sword. Perverts.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I own many swords, and I train with them. But for the same reason a shotgun is not the right answer, I don't want to have to wrap my obi and stuff a katana and wakazashi or tanto into it to take a pee at 3 AM.

EDIT: Obi == japanese wrapped belt used to hold a sword. Perverts.

It's preverts around here. :D