[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Les Miles

theeohiostate

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look no one is deny LSU lost two games just saying losing in triple OT is not as bad as losing in regulation. Is anyone seriously debating this?

That's would be like debating that losing 45-14 is the same as losing 35-34. :D

Do you think winning in triple overtime is less or more of a win than in regulation?

Do you think winning in triple overtime is less or more of a win than in regulation?

Obviously winning in regulation is more impressive. Look I'm not saying losing a game in OT or even triple OT is as good as a tie, but then again when it comes to ranking teams it sure shouldn't be held against a team as much as one that loses in regulation.

Now don't get me wrong when it comes to determining conference championships or if there were a playoff system then a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

Edited by Rockerbraves

:D Good for Les. This is what I have been saying. LSU has yet to lose a game this season of regulation football, OT football and even a double OT football. At some point maybe they should have just flipped a coin to see which team gets the wins and which team loses. :D

I agree with Miles. The current OT system is decent and that's all we have, so it should count as a loss, but maybe not as much as a regulation loss when it comes to pollsters. In short OT is basically not football the way it's suppose to be played. It takes a 100 yard field and reduces it to 25 yards. Which in turn takes away alot of the normal game strategies and replaces it with another completely different strategies like red zone offense and defense. It's certainly considered a form of football but just not the way the game of football suppose to be played.

If anyone disagrees then they are probably someone who thinks baseball and softball are the same game. :wacko:

Your post is not without merit.

However, let's not discredit OT to the extent that it's merely a skills contest or settling ties with a round of punt, pass, and kick. It does make certain elements of your team worthless (most notably the punting game, BFD). However, what it focuses on are two of the things that all great teams must be good at. Red Zone D and Red Zone O. BTW, the guys calling the LSU game made the point a number of times how bad LSU is at Red Zone D. That's simply not a problem a "great" team should have. Sure, you can win games by controlling the clock even if you end up settling for FGs more often than you'd like. However, if you're settling for FGs and can't keep the other team out of the endzone when they get close, you're typically not going to win many games.

Any coach that implies that these two things, the most important factors in succeeding in OT are not paramount to being a great football team is a fool. Any coach who implies that settling ties based on who is best at these two things somehow cheapens the result is complaining for the sake of complaining. Oh wait, I forgot we're talking about Les Miles. Nevermind, carry on.

Look no one is deny LSU lost two games just saying losing in triple OT is not as bad as losing in regulation. Is anyone seriously debating this?

That's would be like debating that losing 45-14 is the same as losing 35-34. :D

no chit

but for that moron to even to even mention they would be undefeated under the old system, and that they "have not been bested in 60 minutes"

is beyond moronic when they were VERY fortunate to not have 2 LOSES in regulation, especially when the blame fell sqarely on Miles shoulders.

Karma is a b1tch- so they drop 2 OT games when they could have easily had 2L in regulation, it all evens out and who the and then when I wore my first dress cares -

they aren't that good

Your post is not without merit.

However, let's not discredit OT to the extent that it's merely a skills contest or settling ties with a round of punt, pass, and kick. It does make certain elements of your team worthless (most notably the punting game, BFD). However, what it focuses on are two of the things that all great teams must be good at. Red Zone D and Red Zone O. BTW, the guys calling the LSU game made the point a number of times how bad LSU is at Red Zone D. That's simply not a problem a "great" team should have. Sure, you can win games by controlling the clock even if you end up settling for FGs more often than you'd like. However, if you're settling for FGs and can't keep the other team out of the endzone when they get close, you're typically not going to win many games.

Any coach that implies that these two things, the most important factors in succeeding in OT are not paramount to being a great football team is a fool. Any coach who implies that settling ties based on who is best at these two things somehow cheapens the result is complaining for the sake of complaining. Oh wait, I forgot we're talking about Les Miles. Nevermind, carry on.

I respect your opinion, but OT is abit like playing a golf tournament playoff on a par 3 golf course.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Seems like Rocker is just trying to get his Rocks of as no one in their right minds actually feels this way.

Les is out of control, this makes multiple odd statements this season on top of horrbile on the field calls.

Bucks fans are hoping he keeps it together for a few short weeks, so Michigan can sign a deal. If he continues this non-sense there won't be a place for him in DI ball.

LES SHUT THE F' UP !

Come to Michigan, baby !

I respect your opinion, but OT is abit like playing a golf tournament playoff on a par 3 golf course.

Drive for show, put for dough. So in Les' opinion, LSU is not very "money"?

Frankly, if logistics required that to be the case, it would not be a horrible way to decide a golf tourney. Of course, in the case of golf, it simply doesn't make sense. That said, no golfer worth a damn would complain about the format if his short game and putter failed him in such a situation. Like both stopping another team or finishing the job in the red zone, no "great" player is going to be lacking in those areas.

Drive for show, put for dough. So in Les' opinion, LSU is not very "money"?

Frankly, if logistics required that to be the case, it would not be a horrible way to decide a golf tourney. Of course, in the case of golf, it simply doesn't make sense. That said, no golfer worth a damn would complain about the format if his short game and putter failed him in such a situation. Like both stopping another team or finishing the job in the red zone, no "great" player is going to be lacking in those areas.

Just so you know I wrote an article titled "How to Properly Line Up Your 4th Putt" :D

Last I checked, 2 teams, play under the same rules, and a loss is a loss and a win is a win. OT loss is the same as a loss. Stop whining, your team aint all that, a lot of people drank the kool aid (myself included) but the truth is, they have not been impressive at all this year with the exception of the Va Tech blow out, and a gutty comeback vs Florida. Everything else hasn't been that impressive. Fluke play to beat Auburn in which the coach didn't even really know what he was doing, struggling against horrible teams like Tulane and Ole Miss. Couple that with losing to a 5 loss team and a 4 loss team, both of which, any GREAT team would have won convincingly, and you got yourself a VERY disappointing season, and I think years from now, LSU fans will look back and realize what a waste, really the last 2 years were. You referenced how this years team will have 4 first round draft picks, last years team DID have 4 first round draft picks, yet the result is the same. I really hope for LSU's sake you do win the SEC title, cuz the Sugar Bowl vs Hawaii is what I predict will be the only way LSU wins a bowl game. If they go to the Cotton, Outback, or Capital 1, I predict they lose.

Bottom line LSU cant get out of its own way, and its because of Les Miles they do not have 2 more NC. With this talent, they should be playing for their 2nd NC in a row. Lets just say Saban would have coached this team there. Shame for LSU fans, except you know the one tool who defends this idiot coach.

Obviously winning in regulation is more impressive. Look I'm not saying losing a game in OT or even triple OT is as good as a tie, but then again when it comes to ranking teams it sure shouldn't be held against a team as much as one that loses in regulation.

Now don't get me wrong when it comes to determining conference championships or if there were a playoff system then a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

I almost agree, Rocker. I just hope you're not one of the LSU bozos who tries to discount the 2003 AP crown given to USC then. And I hope you didn't give money to that stupid billboard they put up near USC last year because of it. Because if you are, you'll find your picture right next the word 'hypocrite'. Just sayin...

I almost agree, Rocker. I just hope you're not one of the LSU bozos who tries to discount the 2003 AP crown given to USC then. And I hope you didn't give money to that stupid billboard they put up near USC last year because of it. Because if you are, you'll find your picture right next the word 'hypocrite'. Just sayin...

Trust me I'm not one of those who would have anything to do with a stupid billboard. The truth is as the BCS gains age/maturity it becomes alot less meaningful that USC was voted the AP's #1 team. :D

I would think on most occasions the team that is best conditioned, better coached, toughest mentally, and more physically talented will win in OT. If you are not all 4 of those things the team with the most wins. If LSU is more talented that leaves the other 3. Loosing the game has less to do with the short field as it does with the team that has the less resolve, or les miles.

:If anyone disagrees then they are probably someone who thinks baseball and softball are the same game. :D

Sarge, heard Bob Stoops was on the radio Monday complaining about how horrible the college OT system is.

Nick Saban said college football's current OT system isn't real football. It isn't. There's no clock and putting a team on the other team's 25 is a situational scrimmage.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Sarge, heard Bob Stoops was on the radio Monday complaining about how horrible the college OT system is.

Nick Saban said college football's current OT system isn't real football. It isn't. There's no clock and putting a team on the other team's 25 is a situational scrimmage.

Simple fact is, it's better than a tie, and it's better than what they do in the NFL where it often comes down to coin-flips and the kicking game.

Playing a non-sudden continuation of the game under normal rules could take forever and simply isn't an option.

Nobody is denying that it calls upon a different strategy and skill set than it takes to win a game in 60 minutes. However, that doesn't mean the better team doesn't have a better chance to win more often than not.

Lastly, as a fan of Les Miles coached LSU, why would you be complaining that there's no clock in OT? Wouldn't that be to your benefit?

What's wrong with it being all about a 'red zone drill'? I wish the NFL would institute the college OT system, although they should also force teams to go for 2 after any TD, starting in the 1st OT. And there should at least be a 30-sec. snap clock, with 1 timeout if nec., if only to prevent all-night marathons. There isn't one now in college? I hadn't noticed that...

(Aside: NFL should also adopt the 15 yd. P.I. penalty rule, instead of it being a potential 50 yd play.)

Edit: one more OT idea - force them to go for the TD if inside the 5 on 4th and goal. Just to keep it from being a FG-fest for another 30 minutes.

Edited by Coffeeman

Trust me I'm not one of those who would have anything to do with a stupid billboard. The truth is as the BCS gains age/maturity it becomes alot less meaningful that USC was voted the AP's #1 team. :D

Highly doubt that because the media runs the show, AND, the only people that think LSU was remotely better than USC that year, were LSU fans, and USC haters. The coaches would have even voted for USC if they could.

BTW, do they switch the order of who goes first for each OT in the NCAA, and both teams go at the same end of the field? Another quirk I hadn't paid attention to...

The order of teams is reversed in each OT.

For the side of the field, the first 2 OT's is on the same side, then switches for the 3rd-4th OT, (and if needed switch after each 2 OT period)

Simple fact is, it's better than a tie.

Nobody is denying that it calls upon a different strategy and skill set than it takes to win a game in 60 minutes. However, that doesn't mean the better team doesn't have a better chance to win more often than not.

No one is denying it's better than a tie. Just should be taken into consideration when voting in polls.

I equate it to basketball having a similiar like OT. Both teams getting the ball at half court for one possession each. No pressing, no full court defense, no fast break etc. Princeton basketball would probably vote for that. :D

I would prefer to see an extra quarter of football and if the game ends in a tie after that quarter than the game ends in a tie unless it's the BCS NC game. Then they would have to play another quarter till we get a winner.