[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some interesting insight on Bush

rajncajn

From someone on the Saints board who claims to know him personally. Judging by some of the comments made this does seem like a friend and/or former team mate. Regardless, he does make some very valid points.

Hopefully people at least appreciate the insight....

I'm not a Saints fan per se, but I watch all of your guys games and have made it out to about half of the home games the past two seasons...In any event, this is my assessment.

First, no one since Norm Chow was at USC has anyone known how to use Reggie...in games when he was struggling rushing the ball...He would line him up as the #1 WR and actually use him in the passing game...Have him running 15 yard comebacks, go routes, 12 yard digs, posts, etc....Using just about the complete WR playbook..he would move from the slot to the X to the Z...Hell, even games he was running well he'd still see 4 or 5 plays running quick slants, fades..I haven't been to Saints practices, but my feeling is that #25 is the best WR on the team. He was the best WR at USC when Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith were all there.

Second, is it me or is every pass Reggie catches a 1 or 2 yard play out in the flats? Not only that, but how many times is he going to be left in to chip a DE or LB, then bouncing out as a "dump off" option for Brees if the play breaks down? Sorry that's not productive and it isn't using his talents at all.

Third, ever since the time of the draft people have said, Reggie can't run inside. Excuse me? Someone here can re-check the film if they want...but I have seen every USC game since 1997 and I have been on the sidelines since 2003 (I only say this to give an indication of my perspective...that it's not coming from someone with just a hope and wish)..3/4's of all of Reggie's runs of more than 20 yards came between the tackles. Every single one of his runs of greater than 50 yards (but one) came between the tackles....Now, when he gets passed the LB's he usually heads to the sideline, but the run against Arkansas was a iso-trap through the 1 hole....between the guard and center. His famous cut back run against fresno? behind the right hip of the LT. Countless other examples...The notion that he can't run between the tackles is a myth.

Fourth, it seems to me as though his own coach has bought into the press clippings that you can't run Reggie that much..or you can't run him inside....And this has led to insanely predictable plays and opportunities that no one would have much success with.

Fifth, LT had 21 carries for 67 yards this week also. kind of strange.

Sixth, maybe he could stand to use a little more bulk in his legs...weightroom strength doesn't always translate to field strength. But the kid is pound for pound the strongest RB in the league. He's benching over 450 and squats well over 500 pounds. But again, he might need a little more surface area so to speak so that he has a better chance to run through tackles, rather than either slipping out of them or going down.

...His one weakness as a RB is short yardage and goalline situations...Never been his strength and probably won't ever be...but that's far different than saying he can't run between the tackles..which is just simply false....

I'm sure some of these topics have been discussed and I apologize for clogging up the board..I just felt like as someone who has known him since he was a freshman at USC and has continued to keep in close contact with him, that you all might be interested...

*I'll leave with this....Ultimately, Reggie is far too talented to not be producing...and I'm not going to say it's 100% all on the coaches...but, I thought USC did a poor job with him in his JR year and he set records...so, I think Payton does need to re-evaluate the ways in which he uses him.

Third, ever since the time of the draft people have said, Reggie can't run inside. Excuse me? Someone here can re-check the film if they want...but I have seen every USC game since 1997 and I have been on the sidelines since 2003 (I only say this to give an indication of my perspective...that it's not coming from someone with just a hope and wish)..3/4's of all of Reggie's runs of more than 20 yards came between the tackles. Every single one of his runs of greater than 50 yards (but one) came between the tackles....Now, when he gets passed the LB's he usually heads to the sideline, but the run against Arkansas was a iso-trap through the 1 hole....between the guard and center. His famous cut back run against fresno? behind the right hip of the LT. Countless other examples...The notion that he can't run between the tackles is a myth.

Right, because Division 1 college linebackers and D-linemen are comparable to those that play in the NFL. And it's not like USC's top-notch recruiting, coaching, and offensive system put him at any sort of advantage against teams like Fresno State and Washington State. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Right, because Division 1 college linebackers and D-linemen are comparable to those that play in the NFL. And it's not like USC's top-notch recruiting, coaching, and offensive system put him at any sort of advantage against teams like Fresno State and Washington State. :D

No kidding. What hurts him now is that they can't line him up in the slot because they need a backfield RB without Deuce. He was in the slot plenty last year and it worked because he wasn't needed elsewhere.

Not. Really. New.

I don't think that's what he's saying. Bush is stronger than many people believe and I think he's saying he should get stronger in the legs but doesn't have to be a finesse runner. U think he;s talking about ways for him to improve and ways to use him better.

Thanks. That was a nice read. Reggie probably is a WR in a RB's body.

Not to mention he's running behind the Saints O-line...Still though, it's not like he's not used to running through the tackles. He's talked about at if he's never done it by many NFL pundits. If anyone noticed Deuce was having trouble finding holes as well before he got hurt so that may be playing more of a part in his lack of production there than his actual inability to do so.

Edited by rajncajn

Not to mention he's running behind the Saints O-line...Still though, it's not like he's not used to running through the tackles. He's talked about at if he's never done it by many NFL pundits. If anyone noticed Deuce was having trouble finding holes as well before he got hurt so that may be playing more of a part in his lack of production there than his actual inability to do so.

Deuce wasn't having that many problems finding holes last year, yet Reggie was nowhere near 4 yds/carry.

I'm not saying that Reggie CAN'T run in between the tackles, but this guy's "I know he can run in between the tackles because he did it in college" analysis is severely flawed. Bush played in a wide-open offense at USC that made LenDale White's slow, fat ass look like Eddie George in his prime. How much better do you think USC's players are in comparison to Fresno State's? It's not even close. But the NFL is a completely different game. Even small-market teams like the Titans have studs in their defensive Front 7.

I agree with this guy that Reggie has the potential to be a solid between-the-tackles runner, but he still has a long way to go. And, unfortunately, the Saints' offense is so bad right now that we're not going to know for at least another year or two.

Not to mention when you are lining up as a running back for USC against Fresno St. the offensive lineman are bigger, stronger, faster then the defensive lineman....half the times in those games the first would be tackler was a safety when he ran between the tackles. In the NFL where there is an equal playing field between talent...or in the the Saints case sometimes lesser talent it makes it harder to run between the tackles because the holes are smaller or non existent.... not to mention when they are there they close alot faster in the NFL.

No kidding. What hurts him now is that they can't line him up in the slot because they need a backfield RB without Deuce. He was in the slot plenty last year and it worked because he wasn't needed elsewhere.

Not. Really. New.

eh, think of how the rams used to use marshall faulk. he was the primary back, to say the least...and they'd move him around, have him running downfield routes....and they would absolutely torch teams. that is the playbook the saints coaches need to be studying.

eh, think of how the rams used to use marshall faulk. he was the primary back, to say the least...and they'd move him around, have him running downfield routes....and they would absolutely torch teams. that is the playbook the saints coaches need to be studying.

That would be a good idea, but...

There's something about Bush that differentiates him from Faulk or Westbrook, and it's hard to put my finger on it. Both Faulk and Westbrook have a soft "gliding" kind of pace they use when they're around the LOS looking for a hole. They both have tremendous balance, followed by that darting burst through the gap. Reggie has the burst, but not the gliding, patient body balance.

He's got the amazing stop-and-start ability, sure, but his feet just don't seem quite as quick as Westbrook/Faulk. When Reggie is running the ball, his style always reminds me of a WR running a reverse -- just hovering close to top speed before seeing the hole, then switching into top gear.

I just don't think he's got all the necessary natural tools to be a GREAT all-around RB like Faulk. I'd venture to say Bush reminds me a lot more of Steve Smith.

What's wrong with having a superbly athletic WR who can also line up in the backfield and take handoffs? To me, that would create just as many problems for D-coordinators. Instead, the Saints insist on doing it the other way around. And, like the poster above mentioned, they're grossly underutilizing him on actual WR routes. They're almost exclusively throwing it to him out of the backfield.

:D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

I just don't think he's got all the necessary natural tools to be a GREAT all-around RB like Faulk. I'd venture to say Bush reminds me a lot more of Steve Smith.

What's wrong with having a superbly athletic WR who can also line up in the backfield and take handoffs? To me, that would create just as many problems for D-coordinators. Instead, the Saints insist on doing it the other way around. And, like the poster above mentioned, they're grossly underutilizing him on actual WR routes. They're almost exclusively throwing it to him out of the backfield.

:D

Funny you should say that. This guys said the exact same thing later in the thread, but he did note that Smith is not as strong as Bush.

maybe it was written by bush. seems very knowledgable and has seen all USC and Saints games

That was suggested, but I highly doubt it. We have had former players that posted as well as friends & family members of players. We also have had various local media heads that post & peruse quite a bit and everyone "in the know" says that the Saints FO keeps tabs on the boards and some of the players sometimes browse. But it's supposed to be a huge nono for people on the payroll to post on the boards.