[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Planting a fig tree

whomper

My neighbor is getting me a branch from a fig tree to plant. This tree was originally from Sicily and she said everyone they have given a branch to has ended up with a very prolific tree..I know there are certain things you are supposed to do when its first planted. She is going to go over all of that with me..Does anyone have any tips ?

my grandpa had one in nyc. thing grew like mad. i think all he did was wrap it in the winter. my friends dad had one in the detroit area and had to bury it in the ground every winter to keep it from dying. actually bent it down and buried. thats the only thing i know of them. they cant take a harsh winter.

my grandpa had one in nyc. thing grew like mad. i think all he did was wrap it in the winter. my friends dad had one in the detroit area and had to bury it in the ground every winter to keep it from dying. actually bent it down and buried. thats the only thing i know of them. they cant take a harsh winter.

Yep..Good call..They told me it needed to be be wrapped in the winter..They said bury it about 3/4s deep just leaving the top exposed..I couldnt get that deep in my soil so I went a little over 1/2 then I am going to build a little enclosed wood and put soil above surface..I hope this thing takes

Mmmmmm, figs... I just planted one myself this year. It's about 4 1/2 ft tall & I'm hoping for a couple of figs next year.

Not sure if this is enough up North, But down here I've seen a lot of people cover theirs in heavy clear plastic & put a drop light in there with it.

Mmmmmm, figs... I just planted one myself this year. It's about 4 1/2 ft tall & I'm hoping for a couple of figs next year.

Not sure if this is enough up North, But down here I've seen a lot of people cover theirs in heavy clear plastic & put a drop light in there with it.

I am starting to debate whether I should pull it and plant it in a hugh pot..I have been reading that that is possibly the way to go up north..

I am starting to debate whether I should pull it and plant it in a hugh pot..I have been reading that that is possibly the way to go up north..

My parents brough a branch from Greece and they planted in the backyard. That thing grew like wild. Delicious figs!

It died because my pitbull destroyed it a few years back. I dont know much about planting it but I will tell you they did plant it in the winter and did wrap it. unwrapped in the spring. and shortly after i was eating figs.

Keep baby pitbulls away from anything in the yard.

My parents brough a branch from Greece and they planted in the backyard. That thing grew like wild. Delicious figs!

It died because my pitbull destroyed it a few years back. I dont know much about planting it but I will tell you they did plant it in the winter and did wrap it. unwrapped in the spring. and shortly after i was eating figs.

Keep baby pitbulls away from anything in the yard.

Do you remember how they wrapped it ? I heard burlap and I have heard plastic..

I have no experience with fig trees. However, I did know a guy that had one in his backyard. It was huge, and he had to put a tarp over that sucker in the winter.

With regards to plastic or burlap, I would guess that burlap would be better. When you cover plants to avoid frost, plastic will still allow the plants to get "burned" if the plastic is in contact with the plant. I would assume the same would be true with a fig tree. Go with some type of heavy duty canvas maybe?