[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Plasma TV

Menudo

I was at a pro demo about three weeks ago and saw the exact opposite. I was looking at an LG (which had severe burn in issues) and an NEC. The Pioneer Elite was also there, and let me tell you if you're going to go plasma it won't get better than the 1080p versions of this model. Yes, it pushes 6 grand for the small (50") but even as a 'prosumer' model it whipped 2 other plasmas and 3 LCDs (all 5 were pro models) that all had sales reps in attendence, whereas the Pioneer did not and ran away with the demo which included nearly a dozen test patterns through multiple resolutions.

The 3 LCDs were NEC, Sharp and one other that slips my mind - but wasn't Sony.

Pioneer Elit's are off the charts- nothing compares, but they are definitely alot of dough.

I htnk it depends on the brand. All of my friends who have Panny, Sony or Pioneer have zero burn in - LG, NEC it could be an issue, I guess. The newer technology in quality plasmas - burn in is just not an issue. I was told the reason you see it in demo sets in BB for instance, is bc out of the box they are on "torch" mode, and they set em right up on ESPN and they run 24/7. Any new plasma, it is recommended to turn the settings down, and avoid banners, and borders for the first 100 hours.

I was thinking LCD all the way until I checked out many different brands and sets.

Just personal preference IMO- LCD is crisper, and plasma give you richer colors.

I happened to get a steal on a last years Pioneer model off Amazon , that I couldn't pass up

If you watch ESPN for 10 hours straight it might burn.

DVR's go to screen saver very quickly when paused and you can set up the TV to shut off after a certain amount of inactive use. IE when I fall asleep and don't change the channel. I use 15 minutes, then it throws up a warning and you just hit a remote button. You could set it at longer interavls, if wanted.

Layers of safety features are the key. Features you don't need to remember to set more than once.

RP was the best choice about 3 years ago. DLP had it's day....but it's over (bad viewing angles). Plasma is a contender, still a consideration but only if price is more important than pic quality. LCD has made the most advances (angle of view, color, and black level) and it should be one's first look.

JMHO, but until some new technology comes around, LCD is the current best choice!

I have LCD with high def, and I love to watch the games on it!

RP was the best choice about 3 years ago. DLP had it's day....but it's over (bad viewing angles). Plasma is a contender, still a consideration but only if price is more important than pic quality. LCD has made the most advances (angle of view, color, and black level) and it should be one's first look.

JMHO, but until some new technology comes around, LCD is the current best choice!

if you're going for size, i still think DLP's prices are a great bargain. i bought a 50-inch samsung DLP last year mainly because it was most bang i could get for my buck. my dad just bought a 73-inch mitsubishi DLP for $2700, which i thought was a damn good price for something that big. and supposedly, with some of these DLPs, hiring a professional to calibrate it can result in an incredible picture -- i just don't have the $400-$500 to do it (read: the wife would kill me).

this is pure nonsense.

Good plasma's such as Panny and Pioneer have zero burn in, although it is a good idea to break them in for th first 100 hours or so.

I compared LCD/plasma both pretty extensively - and there are pro's to both no doubt, but to me you can't beat the richness of a good plasma picture, and plasmas are much better for viewing sports-

by the way - nice set Menudo- Panny makes a great plasma :D

I also did tons of research before my purchase, and thought both Plasmas and LCD's do still have advantages in certain areas, the gap in all of those areas have closed. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one at this point. I went with Plasma, because everything I read said they were slightly better with fast-moving action, i.e sports. So far, I continue to be blown away by this picture. The football games are simply breathtaking. It is a thing of beauty. :D

Pioneer Elit's are off the charts- nothing compares, but they are definitely alot of dough.

I htnk it depends on the brand. All of my friends who have Panny, Sony or Pioneer have zero burn in - LG, NEC it could be an issue, I guess. The newer technology in quality plasmas - burn in is just not an issue. I was told the reason you see it in demo sets in BB for instance, is bc out of the box they are on "torch" mode, and they set em right up on ESPN and they run 24/7. Any new plasma, it is recommended to turn the settings down, and avoid banners, and borders for the first 100 hours.

I was thinking LCD all the way until I checked out many different brands and sets.

Just personal preference IMO- LCD is crisper, and plasma give you richer colors.

I happened to get a steal on a last years Pioneer model off Amazon , that I couldn't pass up

Mrs Bass and I had a home built this summer and in August it was time to find a flat screen to go on the wall above the fireplace. I was thinking LCD at first, but after much research, I went with a plasma. One of the main things that swayed me was the advice I received after more than one person asked me "Well, what do you like to watch?" When my reply was sports and action movies, their answer was almost always plasma. Watching the plasma right next to the LCD, the LCD did seem to have a crisper picture, however the color was more vibrant on the plasma and I didnt notice the "trailing effect" on the plasma that I saw on the LCD when there was a fast moving picture.

I ended up going with a 60" Pioneer that I got on sale as I believe Pioneer was coming out with the new version. The picture right out of the box was good and the HD is awesome. I got the retailer (BB) to throw in the calibration for free so they came out and adjusted the settings so the pic is better and it runs "cooler". I have had no problems with it as far as burn in but I dont play any games nor leave it on channels with banners too long. Glare can be noticeable at times, but it does have an anti-reflective coating over the screen that helps. We get a pretty good amount of natural light in the room, but none that shines directly at the screen.

As others have pointed out, the gap has closed between the two technologies (LCD vs plasma) and you probably wont go wrong with either as long as you do a little research and select a good brand.

As others have pointed out, the gap has closed between the two technologies (LCD vs plasma) and you probably wont go wrong with either as long as you do a little research and select a good brand.

True enough! In my (semi-pro) opinion though, you should NOT get anything less than a 1080p unit that has HDMI. If you don't, in one sense you've already bought something obsolete, and you'll be missing out within 2-3 years. In other words, those 720p only models you should look past.

I bought a 73" Mitsubishi DLP about a month ago. I had the room, and it was only 18 inches deep anyway. The HD programing is crisp and clear. I haven't had any problems with rainbows. I absolutely love it. The only draw back on any TV that large is standard definition programing is not crisp or clean, but smudged looking. Luckily I get all games with exception of the Sunday night game on HD. I primarily use it for watching football, boxing, and movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

2 things happened during the move to our new house. We realized that the new 50-inch plasma looked a tad too big in our new living room corner. Then, we realize that our 60-inch rear projection HD-ready TV from my old basement simply wasn't going to be able to be moved to the new basement, as it wouldn't fit down the stairs, and, unlike my old basement, their isn't an outside door for entry. At first, I thought this was bad news, but, after negotiating with the wife, I did the following:

I had to go to Boscovs on Black Friday to get my discount on the 50-inch Plasma, which I purchased for $2,100.00 but, was on sale for $999.99 on Black Friday. I just had to take my receipt back to get the difference. I show up at 5:00AM, when the store opens, and I am already about 25th in line for the electronics department. Everyone was in line for the Panasonic TV Deals. Almost immediately, they came out and said that they had run out of the 50-inch Panasonics, but, had several 42-inchers left, and that you had to take a slip to reserve one. I asked the price, and they were selling them for $799, but, you had to take a slip to reserve them.

So, in the end, after waiting in line for 2.5 hours, I got the price reduction on my Panasonic 50-inch plasma, getting it for $999.00, and then picked up the Panasonic 42-inch plasma for $799.00. My sister is going to buy my rear-projection from me.

The 42-inch looks fantastic in the living room, the 50-inch replaces the rear project in the basement, and I am one happy camper. :wacko::D:D

Also, getting both TV's for $1,800, when the 50-inch retails for $2,300 itself, has me feeling good about my purchases.

The 2.5 hour wait was long, but, man, there were some entertaining moments. People are funny to watch during Black Friday. :D

Edited by Menudo

so essentially you purchased a TV at regular price, came back to get over a thousand back and used that money to get another HD set....

this is the sort of veteran savvy that I can appreciate...

good chit on accomplishing this

:D

Edited by Avernus

• 10 months later...

I have 5 TVs in the house. All are old school, 15 years old is the newest.

I am getting HD through dish network and a HD DVR.

I need two new TVs.

I am leaning toward this one for the living room.

And this for the bedroom.

We have built in cabinets so I am limited on the size of the TVs. I can get the two TVs for about $1350.00

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Edited by Missoula Griz

I have 5 TVs in the house. All are old school, 15 years old is the newest.

I am getting HD through dish network and a HD DVR.

I need two new TVs.

I am leaning toward this one for the living room.

And this for the bedroom.

We have built in cabinets so I am limited on the size of the TVs. I can get the two TVs for about $1350.00

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Forget the cabinets and look at wall mounts. Without even knowing the dimensions of your rooms, 37" and 26" are going to feel far too small.