[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 60" Hitachi is dead!

theprofessor

My 10 year old 60" Hitachi is about done. It needs $450.00 worth of repairs so I think I'm ready for a new TV.

I am going to make my purchase on Black Sunday and would like to know if any of you have pre-Black Sunday deal information. I also need some education on a few things:

HD vs Plasma? Pro's and Cons of both? Can you get a Plasma with HD?

DLP?

I've also read about 760, 1080, etc. - What is this? Resolution?

Brand reliability.

Has anyone used Fire Dog from Circuit City or the Geek Squad from Best Buy? Share your experiences.

I haven't done much research at this point because I just decided to make this purchase yesterday. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. I'm looking to spend $1,500-$2,500.

Thanks, in advance!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 10 year old 60" Hitachi is about done. It needs $450.00 worth of repairs so I think I'm ready for a new TV.

I am going to make my purchase on Black Sunday and would like to know if any of you have pre-Black Sunday deal information. I also need some education on a few things:

HD vs Plasma? Pro's and Cons of both? Can you get a Plasma with HD?

DLP?

I've also read about 760, 1080, etc. - What is this? Resolution?

Brand reliability.

Has anyone used Fire Dog from Circuit City or the Geek Squad from Best Buy? Share your experiences.

I haven't done much research at this point because I just decided to make this purchase yesterday. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. I'm looking to spend $1,500-$2,500.

Thanks, in advance!

If you have a Boscovs near you, they are selling the Panasonic TH-50PX77U 50-inch 1080i Plamsa for $999.99 on Black Friday and the following Saturday. You can actually do what I did, and go buy it now for $2,100.00. Then, they have a deal where if you find it sold cheaper anywhere else or their store, you get the difference. Simply take your receipt in on Black Friday, and you will get that money back, and have the TV for $999.99. I don't think you find a better deal anywhere. The MSRP is $2,199 and they are selling for $999.99 :D

Here is the review:

:D

Edited by Menudo

there are quite a few threads on LCD vs. Plasma - in a nutshell- LCD is a slightly crisper, sharper pic while a good plasma gives you richer colors and blacks and is better for viewing sports. LCD have a longer life- but the reality is a good plasma will last just fine

Panny makes a great set- Menudo's panel is tough to beat at that price-

At $2600 of Amazon is the Pioneer '50 - at the top of your price range-

Pioneer '50 Plasma

check it out- Panny and Pioneer make the best plasma's IMO.

If you have a Boscovs near you, they are selling the Panasonic TH-50PX77U 50-inch 1080i Plamsa for $999.99 on Black Friday and the following Saturday. You can actually do what I did, and go buy it now for $2,100.00. Then, they have a deal where if you find it sold cheaper anywhere else or their store, you get the difference. Simply take your receipt in on Black Friday, and you will get that money back, and have the TV for $999.99. I don't think you find a better deal anywhere. The MSRP is $2,199 and they are selling for $999.99 :D

Here is the review:

Are you 100% sure they will honor that, though? Don't most stores usually have special rules for Black Friday stuff?

DLP is nice. I bought a 73" DLP about a month ago. It is a very crisp, clear picture when viewing HD. It is not that good of a picture with SD, but I haven't seen a screen that large that does look good in SD. It is only about 18" deep. The colors are very rich. Some have said DLP does not look good from angles, but I view mine at a 45 degree angle all the time in the picture is great. With DLP you don't have to worry about image burn.

Are you 100% sure they will honor that, though? Don't most stores usually have special rules for Black Friday stuff?

I made the salesman sign the add stating that it would be honored. I also had him give me his business card and he guaranteed me that he would be working on Friday morning when I bring in the receipt. If they don't give it to me, I might be arrested. :D

Whatever you buy, please, buy from Wal-Mart.

I have actually been thinking about a Vizio from Sams. I know its not quite up to par with the other big brands but they seems to be pretty reasonbly priced. Does anyone have any experience with Vizio, good or bad? Surely if LT promotes it, it has to be good, right? :D

I made the salesman sign the add stating that it would be honored. I also had him give me his business card and he guaranteed me that he would be working on Friday morning when I bring in the receipt. If they don't give it to me, I might be arrested. :D

Wal-Mart honors black friday ads.

Wal-Mart honors black friday ads.

there is a catch to how they and most other companies honor ads...

1st they have to be within their trade area(they wont match a store 2 hours away)

2nd it has to be the exact same model...problem with that is that Walmart and Targets etc get their very own

models of the same exact items(different color here and there) so its the same model but because of the color change

it has a different model number..

Different model # means they dont have to match(for the most part....and if you push you could possibly win)

I have actually been thinking about a Vizio from Sams. I know its not quite up to par with the other big brands but they seems to be pretty reasonbly priced. Does anyone have any experience with Vizio, good or bad? Surely if LT promotes it, it has to be good, right? :D

I originally looked at the Vizios but for a few hundred more you can get better. IMO, Samsung has a great affordable 720 or 1080 40" LCD out there right now. I even saw the 1080 46" online for 1600 which is a great price.

Here is the review:

Thanks. No Boscov's in the Seattle area that I know of. Only Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's etc - I'll check to see who else carry's this model. Sounds like you got a tremedous deal! :wacko:

DLP is nice. I bought a 73" DLP about a month ago. It is a very crisp, clear picture when viewing HD. It is not that good of a picture with SD, but I haven't seen a screen that large that does look good in SD. It is only about 18" deep. The colors are very rich. Some have said DLP does not look good from angles, but I view mine at a 45 degree angle all the time in the picture is great. With DLP you don't have to worry about image burn.

What is SD?

I originally looked at the Vizios but for a few hundred more you can get better. IMO, Samsung has a great affordable 720 or 1080 40" LCD out there right now. I even saw the 1080 46" online for 1600 which is a great price.

yeah, for a few hundred more a Samsung is well worth it...

Samsung is pretty much as good as a Sony when it comes to HDTV's except a samsung will have more HDMI inputs and whatnot...

if you're getting a new TV...make sure it is LCD and 1080p....

there are deals where you can get a HDTV and Blu-Ray player at a discount to where the Blu-ray player is almost free....

usually at best buy though..

Why are you saying to make sure it is LCD ? There are definitely positives to both, and after tons of research, in the areas where one used to have a big advantage on the other, the gap has closed considerably.

As for 1080p, of course, that is ideal, but, a lot of the really great deals are being put out there on the TV's that only go to 1080i. The only thing capable of playing in 1080p at the moment is Blu-Ray, and I had the guy demo a Blu-Ray disc on two Panasoic's, one 1080p, and the other 1080i, and I really couldn't have told you which was which. Just my :D

Why are you saying to make sure it is LCD ? There are definitely positives to both, and after tons of research, in the areas where one used to have a big advantage on the other, the gap has closed considerably.

As for 1080p, of course, that is ideal, but, a lot of the really great deals are being put out there on the TV's that only go to 1080i. The only thing capable of playing in 1080p at the moment is Blu-Ray, and I had the guy demo a Blu-Ray disc on two Panasoic's, one 1080p, and the other 1080i, and I really couldn't have told you which was which. Just my :D

screen size and viewing distance are the factors that matter..depending on you distance or screen size you would never be able to tell the difference

Edited by keggerz

what was the size of the HDTV?....

edit: 1080p also helps with upscaling as well...it gives you a wider range of upscaling...

Edited by Avernus