[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speed Metal

untateve

It warms my heart to see you all turn my 8-yr-old into a speed metal freak. But thanks for the input. And don't be shy about future suggestions.

Celtic Frost - their new Monotheist is brutally heavy, though the anti-religion (not satanic) subject matter may not go over to well. I know Morbid Tales was HUGELY influential back in the day, and it has been released on CD. How easy it is to find is another matter. Tom G Warrior has the best death grunt out there.

Overkill were more followers than innovators, but still a solid, solid band.

I dunno, debatable. No one really did what they did I Hate I hate I hate you!!!!/b]

Avoid the John Bush era? :D I love the Belladonna stuff as much as the next guy, but for one, Bush is just a FAR better, more charismatic frontman live (Joey is sort of a weenie); and the stuff they've put out is just as heavy and a bit deeper than anything pre-Persistence of Time. Stomp 442 is considered a bit of a stinker, so maybe avoid that one but Volume 8 is as good as ANY album they've done.

Sorry, John Bush rox but isnt Anthrax. Hi-Pro glow is a great song but it aint Anthrax. PoT i sthe pinnacle of thier musical originality. Belandona is the man.

It was "Hang the Pope" OOPS.

Venom is so punk rock - well, aside from singing about drugs, sex, and the devil as opposed to politics. Basically they exist to annoy those who don't like them with their marginal instrumental prowess and lunkheaded lyrics. I love 'em.

The musicianship in King Diamond is phenomenal - but when I re-visited him after not listening for a decade or so - man, you just can't take ANYTHING seriously with those vocals of his. Grandma what is it like to be on th eother side? You just gotta follow the story. The vocals are very cheesy, i agree. I cant believe he caused such a stir with the neo cons. :D

My faves - can you really fault a metal band that names an album RRRoooaaarrr (complete with umlauts over all 3 Os)? I thought not. Plus their ambition is laudable - their first 5 albums were all part of a big sci-fi conceptual story (I'd explain it but it sounds pretty stupid...well, however you explain it, it sounds pretty stupid). I know many VoiVod afficianados regard Nothingface and Angel Rat as their pinnacle, but I personally think that Killing Technology was the tops.

VoiVod just lacked teh agression that I was looking for in my Metal.

Blind was their most commercially successful - "Dance of the Dead" and "Vote with a Bullet" got some big-time MTV airplay. Or maybe Deliverance

Blind it was. Great album.

Edited by DemonKnight

Lack the ability to make above coherent. :D

ETA:

I hate people that make you feel small

I hate having my back against the wall

You know I hate being talked down to

I hate youre rules I hate them all

Hate being left to take the fall

This planets not big enough for me and you

And most of all I hate you

Edited by DemonKnight

I can't believe that someone actually reccomended System of a Down. My advice is that you don't follow that advice. I don't really put them into the

speed metal category anyway. You can't go wrong with early Megadeth.

I will reccomend a couple of non speed metal selections as well. Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" is the greatest metal / hard rock CD ever in my

opinion. Also, Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" or "Piece of Mind".

I can't believe that someone actually reccomended System of a Down. My advice is that you don't follow that advice. I don't really put them into the

speed metal category anyway. You can't go wrong with early Megadeth.

I will reccomend a couple of non speed metal selections as well. Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" is the greatest metal / hard rock CD ever in my

opinion. Also, Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" or "Piece of Mind".

So, you "can't believe" someone recommended SOAD because they're not "speed metal". . . .

and then recommended Queensryche?

:D

So, you "can't believe" someone recommended SOAD because they're not "speed metal". . . .

and then recommended Queensryche?

:D

The reason that I can't believe that someone recommended SOAD is because the suck, not because they are not speed metal. But, after reading my post, it did seem that's what I meant. So, to reiterate: SOAD is horrible.

The reason that I can't believe that someone recommended SOAD is because the suck, not because they are not speed metal. But, after reading my post, it did seem that's what I meant. So, to reiterate: SOAD is horrible.

I reiterate my :D

While I agree that System of a Down isn't all that great....it's less fitting to recommend Quensryche (who isn't all that great) in a speed metal thread.

I'm planning on seeing King Diamond next Spring at a small club in Seattle.

He sold his soul for 3 octaves.

Back in the day we used to debate who had the best metal scream..I always said Halford but we would debate between him and Geoff Tate..

Back in the day we used to debate who had the best metal scream..I always said Halford but we would debate between him and Geoff Tate..

A band to the slight north of here, in Candadia Land, has had quite a cult following with 2 lead singers. One which summons up a nice mix between Halford and Diamond.

3 inches of Blood.

I give them 0 points for originality...but they actually started out as a joke metal band and started taking themselves seriously when everyone else did. :D

Edited by bushwacked

Always teach someone the roots when it comes to music. Machine Head by Deep Purple is where it all started.

Interesting. Want to elaborate on that? I've never considered that to be speed metal or even a precursor. I suppose a case could be made for Highway Star, Space Truckin' and even Pictures Of Home though.

Always teach someone the roots when it comes to music. Machine Head by Deep Purple is where it all started.

Black Sabbath's debut album was released 2 years earlier, and is more important to the history of metal.

Black Sabbath's debut album was released 2 years earlier, and is more important to the history of metal.

Clearly Sabbath helped chart that course as well, but I always thought the Machine Head marked the break between rock n roll and that heavy sound that became metal. It was certainly at this point that the record companies began to see this as a serious trend and not just a different flavor of the same old thing.

Clearly Sabbath helped chart that course as well, but I always thought the Machine Head marked the break between rock n roll and that heavy sound that became metal. It was certainly at this point that the record companies began to see this as a serious trend and not just a different flavor of the same old thing.

For sure it can't have been Machine Head because Deep Purple In Rock preceded it and that album is considerably heavier.

For sure it can't have been Machine Head because Deep Purple In Rock preceded it and that album is considerably heavier.

True, but it didn't have the commercial impact that Machine Head did. There are certain albums that stand out as changing cultural values or realigning teh public's consciousness of them. Machine Head is certainly one of them.

• 1 year later...