[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Penn State students dress up as VT shooting victims

polksalet

it's condemning the university to observe that these tools are penn state students? :D

It can easily be perceived as condemning when it's pointed out that they go to Penn St. in a certain way.

It could have been Any University USA (maybe besides Va Tech). People here simply want to clear up for those who like to :D or seriously point out that it was Penn St. like that had anything significantly to do with the story. Yes, it happened at Penn St. and who knows what other students' reaction was at the party, but the same exact things would have happened at Ohio St., Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, Butler, Florida, LSU, Montana St., UC Santa Barbara, Utah, Indiana, Purdue, NC State, Duke, TCU, etc.

These were 2 idiots who happened to go to Penn St.. The main focus should be on the 2 students and not on the university. There is only so much a school can do to their students in a case like this.

These 2 kids need a good beating (and violence is rarely the answer). :wacko:

Edited by TDFFFreak

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see these two idiots defend themselves in front of the VA Tech community and especially the families of the victims. Shock value? Please...they are a couple of idiots who did this for nothing more than their "ten minutes of fame." This has nothing to do with PSU and everything to do with the fact that these two a-holes are trying to get noticed by fellow idiots Opie and Anthony.

Edited by The Wolf

I journalism it's called the 5 W's, Who, What, Where, When and Why.

Two students, dressed as VT shooting victims, at Penn St in Pennsylvania, recently?, because they're retarded (and within their rights to be so, btw)

The location is part of the story, like it or not.

fixed....or you could say "in the US" thats also a where but its not as "news worthy" as playing off a major universities name :D

then we could condemn the entire state of PA too :D

Edited by keggerz

fixed....or you could say "in the US" thats also a where but its not as "news worthy" as playing off a major universities name :D

then we could condemn the entire state of PA too :wacko:

Right. Then the rest of the news happens on Earth, that way we don't single out any particular city, state, province, country, or even continent. :D

We sure do expect a lot out of our young college students these days.

I read something like this and just think "what a bunch of dummies" and move on. I do find it quite crass and even though I can be quite cynical at times, I would never even think to do something like this. It doesn't change how I look at the Virginia Tech event or Penn State in general.

Our society, in my opinion, really fosters this kind of behavior as the more outrageous, the more press and the more shock value the better. People are so busy trying to be unique you get this kind of crap. Or, we just have so much coverage media-wise that the stupidity of people is just plastered everywhere all the time.

Long post to say, it doesn't surprise me that there are folks out there that find hughmor is something like the Viriginia Tech shootings and that is quite sad.

I guess I'm a bit of a devil's advocate here....but they ARE just costumes. Are they crass and tasteless? No doubt. But then again, it's at an ADULT party, where I'm guessing off-color costumes are somewhat expected. I've seen Plane-crash Payne Stewart (about a week after the crash), Elvis Zombie, the Catholic Priest with a little boy doll sewn face-first onto the crotch (at the risk of getting the Catholics here in a dander, hilarious), heard tales of the Aborted Fetus, etc.

The response of the people involved seem to indicate they are knuckleheads of the highest order; but they were at a private party several hundred miles away from where the shootings occurred, and no one would really have known or cared if not for pics and a resultant innernets firestorm.

It's a different story if someone shows up at VaTech in those costumes.

I guess I'm a bit of a devil's advocate here....but they ARE just costumes. Are they crass and tasteless? No doubt. But then again, it's at an ADULT party, where I'm guessing off-color costumes are somewhat expected. I've seen Plane-crash Payne Stewart (about a week after the crash), Elvis Zombie, the Catholic Priest with a little boy doll sewn face-first onto the crotch (at the risk of getting the Catholics here in a dander, hilarious), heard tales of the Aborted Fetus, etc.

The response of the people involved seem to indicate they are knuckleheads of the highest order; but they were at a private party several hundred miles away from where the shootings occurred, and no one would really have known or cared if not for pics and a resultant innernets firestorm.

Agreed. That is why I just move on without much of a second thought.

:D

:D:wacko::D

look, i don't think anybody is stupid enough to truly think that the actions of two (or more) people in any way speak for an entire university. so why the need to pretend it happened at some vague, indeterminate location instead of where it actually DID happen? do we have to start editing the basic facts of news events so that people don't feel their community is being reflected badly? "the BTK killer was discovered and taken into custody in a state west of the mississippi", "the minister of an unnamed church of an unnamed religion stepped down after allegations he bought an unnamed narcotic from a prostitute of an unknown gender".

sorry, but where these kids go to school is legitimately part of the story, whether anyone likes it or not.

:D :D :wacko:

look, i don't think anybody is stupid enough to truly think that the actions of two (or more) people in any way speak for an entire university. so why the need to pretend it happened at some vague, indeterminate location instead of where it actually DID happen? do we have to start editing the basic facts of news events so that people don't feel their community is being reflected badly? "the BTK killer was discovered and taken into custody in a state west of the mississippi", "the minister of an unnamed church of an unnamed religion stepped down after allegations he bought an unnamed narcotic from a prostitute of an unknown gender".

sorry, but where these kids go to school is legitimately part of the story, whether anyone likes it or not.

Do we all look very tiny from the top of your high high horse?

:D:D:D

:wacko:

I dont get it ...because other tasteless , insensitive and pretty stupid costumes have been worn over the years this makes these costumes ok ? or diminishes their tastlessness , just a bit ?

and because it was not in virginia it makes it a little bit more acceptable or not as bad ?

sorry i aint buying any of it ....

and no reason to blame all of penn state , whole state of penn , etc ...but like AZ said it did happen at penn state , so it is part of the story even if its a small part

Edited by isleseeya

I dont get it ...because other tasteless , insensitive and pretty stupid costumes have been worn over the years this makes these costumes ok ? or diminishes their tastlessness , just a bit?

No, it doesn't make them "more OK" or diminish anything - it is what it is; if you don't like tasteless Halloween costumes, you probably should stay in, is basically what it amounts to.

and because it was not in virginia it makes it a little bit more acceptable or not as bad ?

That it does, in a way - just as the guy who wore the "dead Payne Stewart" costume wouldn't have expected to run into his widow or orphans, these guys weren't doing it to incite survivors of VaTech; they were just pushing the envelope - it's what some people do on Halloween. Getting wound up about it isn't going to change anything - or make these kids contrite. And I don't know that they need to be.

No, it doesn't make them "more OK" or diminish anything - it is what it is; if you don't like tasteless Halloween costumes, you probably should stay in, is basically what it amounts to.

That it does, in a way - just as the guy who wore the "dead Payne Stewart" costume wouldn't have expected to run into his widow or orphans, these guys weren't doing it to incite survivors of VaTech; they were just pushing the envelope - it's what some people do on Halloween. Getting wound up about it isn't going to change anything - or make these kids contrite. And I don't know that they need to be.

I have no need to stay in on halloween ...if i dont like someone's costume i dont need to stare it or be around it ...if its offensive enough then i may say something ..person has choice to listen to me or tune me out in this case

i believe that for pt 2 immediate family or friends . etc would definitely be more upset if they saw these costumes but this does not mean others can not get upset ( some more than others )

I am noty wound up at all ..just dont like rationalizing stupidity and classlessness or making something seem lighter than it is because some people in society have accepted it or become desensitized since they have seen other stupid , classless acts

Edited by isleseeya

Hmmm, I can't figure out the way to state this; it probably looks like I'm defending these kids for having Halloween costumes that are in poor taste, and that isn't necessarily it - my brand of humor runs to that, but I realize that it CAN be offensive to some people. The caveat to that is that these kids WERE at a PRIVATE party - I don't know that there was any sort of intent or desire to have this stuff go national.

Bottom line is it's less that what they were doing was OK than that a lot of people seem to be overreacting to something that doesn't harm anyone.

...at penn state :D

...in the state of Pennsylvania, in the USA, on the North American continent, located upon the planet Earth, in the Milky Way galaxy, which is in the mind of God.

So really, when it comes down to it, it's all God's fault for conceiving of such things. :D

Hmmm, I can't figure out the way to state this; it probably looks like I'm defending these kids for having Halloween costumes that are in poor taste, and that isn't necessarily it - my brand of humor runs to that, but I realize that it CAN be offensive to some people. The caveat to that is that these kids WERE at a PRIVATE party - I don't know that there was any sort of intent or desire to have this stuff go national.

Bottom line is it's less that what they were doing was OK than that a lot of people seem to be overreacting to something that doesn't harm anyone.

Understood , no problem ... i just despise this kind of stupidity ...