[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeep Wrangler

Jimmy Neutron

I own a 2005 Jeep Unlimited and I may never own another vehicle as far as I am concerned. My driving needs are different than most though since I work at home and my jeep only has 8000 miles in 3 years of ownership and maybe half of that is camping trips. They are maybe not an everyday driver to some though it would not bother me. I got mine because I like that it has no electic windows or gizmos to break, just a beasty little vehicle with a softtop. There is nothing like driving a jeep with the top down, IMO, and I wanted it too because I tend to end up in places where a rugged 4x4 is not a bad thing to own. I love mine and I am likely going to get my son one when he starts driving in a year or so.

If you are serious about buying one, let me know if you have any particular questions. The gas mileage is so-so, I get maybe 15-17 around town and 20 or so on the highway. I got 24 mpg driving largely downhill with the wind once. But it is not what I would consider as good at gas mileage and it only has a 17 gallon tank or so which means more fill-ups than when I had my old fiull-size Bronco with a 30 gallon tank.

It is easily the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. If you want to do serious offroading, there is no vehicle that can approach the jeep in ability, history and after-market stuff you can buy. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon comes with most the stuff you would want anyway if you do not like to lift the vehicle or deal with it beyond driving it. I am going to lift mine in the offseason but I may only go with a 2"/32" tires instead of a 4"/33" tires. Still trying to decide.

Offroading in a jeep with the top down is a blast. You can customize it as much as you want but even a stock jeep is already "trail rated" and can be used for offroading. It's just the best vehicle I have ever owned for what I want.

Agree w/ DMD. Although I haven't had my CJ7 in quite some time, was definitely the most fun car I've owned. Even to this day, when I see a Wrangler on the road, I either say (in my mind or right outloud) "Hi Jeep!" Maybe sounds Ghey, but, hey, its nostalgia speaking. I had to settle on a Nissan Murano last Feb after my car crash only because it was tax season already and there was a long waiting list on the new Wranglers. The Jeep is the next vehicle for me - no questions asked. Nothing like crankin' BTO's "Four Wheel Drive" or Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster" while ripping it up in the Jeep with the top down.

I bought my Jeep new in 1996 (97 Wrangler Sport) and 120k miles later would not trade it in for anything.

It is my daily driver, has been very reliable, and is extremely capable off-road. There are a couple Toyota guys in our local 4x4 club and they have very capable trucks. Given the choice, I love being able to drive around with the top off most of the year (Houston, TX).

My office mate just bought a 2008 4 door and it is pretty swank. It is almost too fancy for a Jeep.

DMD, I am running the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift and it rides better than stock, it is awesome. I would highly recommend it when you get around to lifting your Jeep. A buddy and I installed it in the garage on a Saturday afternoon, piece of cake.

I am looking at Jeeps as well this comming tax return season. I have always been a fan of the looks and off roading capabilities of the Wrangler. Living in So. Fla. I would have the top off almost constantly for sure.I've done a little research and local used dealership shopping and a good used Jeep is certainly a commodity and they do not lose thier value much. One salesman told me they held thier value better than any other Dodge product on the market. And people dont generally trade them in or sell them anyway so it looks like I'll be looking new. I always thought they were a little less expansive than they really are. New with options I was looking at around 28k when I thougfht they were closer to 18k.

I saw a 4-door Jeep Wrangler on a lot for $32k. I have nothing against Jeeps, and loved a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited I once owned, but that is simply outrageous. The Chrysler Aspen on the other side of the isle was only 3 or 4k more, and the Durango was comparably priced. I didn't look at the specs, but I imagine this one had to have special off-road equipment or something.

I would definitely entertain getting one for the kid when he drives in 2 years. Used, though.

I am looking at Jeeps as well this comming tax return season. I have always been a fan of the looks and off roading capabilities of the Wrangler. Living in So. Fla. I would have the top off almost constantly for sure.I've done a little research and local used dealership shopping and a good used Jeep is certainly a commodity and they do not lose thier value much. One salesman told me they held thier value better than any other Dodge product on the market. And people dont generally trade them in or sell them anyway so it looks like I'll be looking new. I always thought they were a little less expansive than they really are. New with options I was looking at around 28k when I thougfht they were closer to 18k.

Well, I bought my Jeep new in 1996 for $18,500

Based on the Consumer Price Index or GDP/capita, that is $23,237 or $26,760 in todays dollars. Not much of a difference.

You can get an "X" model for about $22k. I would not recommend many options from the dealer as the Jeep aftermarket is excellent.

Thanks for the info guys. Any thoughts on the old Cherokee? I drove one yesterday that I loved - same great 4.0 straight six with more room inside. This one had intake and exhaust mods that made it one tourqy little SOB plus a lift that gave it some nice ground clearance.

I also took a look at a Nissan Xterra - nice buggy, but no power. I guess I'm a little old school, but I didn't like the switch-style 4x4 selector.

Decisions, decisions......

Any other suggestions on a serious SUV that will be modified, but a daily driver??? Again - TIA.

Thanks for the info guys. Any thoughts on the old Cherokee? I drove one yesterday that I loved - same great 4.0 straight six with more room inside. This one had intake and exhaust mods that made it one tourqy little SOB plus a lift that gave it some nice ground clearance.

I also took a look at a Nissan Xterra - nice buggy, but no power. I guess I'm a little old school, but I didn't like the switch-style 4x4 selector.

Decisions, decisions......

Any other suggestions on a serious SUV that will be modified, but a daily driver??? Again - TIA.

I guess the real question is to determine what is important to you in an SUV, not what we all think of different ones. Maybe if you could get a little more into what you were looking to get out of the vehicle, what kinds of things are important to you (Seating, room comfort, ride, power, maneuverability, off- roading capability, bad weather driving, what your budget is, etc.) it might be easier to help.

Consumer reports might be something you want to check out for vehicle reviews. They have an SUV section, and make recommendations and ratings in different categories.

Own and drive a 2000 TJ sport 6.0 blah blah blah...

Absolutely love it, best ride on a long trip that you could ever ask for, surprisingly comfortable. Though a hard top is a must if extended time at highway speeds. (i've got both the hard and soft)

down side gas, and the fact it's a shed on wheels. I mean if the wind isa blowing put your turn signal on now cause eventually it'll push you there.

up side a ton. my backseat was out of it until my daughter was born...she now loves it more than the subaru she can see everything...best city driver there is no better car in NYC up high w/ a short wheel base that can maneuver into any half a parking spot...top down listening to tunes on the beach...

I could go on, remember this every former Jeep owner i meet misses their Jeep

I bought mine 3 months old for 20K