[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vacations in New Zealand / Australia

Ursa Majoris

Anyone here ever been on vacation to either Australia or New Zealand, preferably both? Thinking of going there in December this year for two, maybe three weeks and interested in seeing as much as possible, not just parking up by a pool.

Any good sites to get vacations that cover flight, hotels, tours, car rentals, options, yada, yada?

TIA.

I may have some suggestions for a hotel or two if you're going to Aukland, Queenstown or Central Otago ... all are in NZ ...

PM / email me for details. No need to clutter the board with my business life...

I may have some suggestions for a hotel or two if you're going to Aukland, Queenstown or Central Otago ... all are in NZ ...

PM / email me for details. No need to clutter the board with my business life...

Thanks. We've decided to rent an RV and spend the entire time driving around. Found a vacation company on the innernets that specializes in this type of vacation. We've RV'ed several times before and love it - no set routine, just options we can decide on every day.

Gonna be great!

You'll probably have to get a diff. RV for NZ vs. the one for Aussie. I don't think they have ferries that go that far....but seriously, you'll also want to ditch the RV for a couple of days out on the reef. If you dive, or even snorkle, the trip to one of the many islands there will be worth it.

How long do you have again? 2 weeks in AUS and 1 in NZ should do for now, but you'll want more, believe me. Forget Ayers Rock on this one - its like driving from NY to Denver to see a big rock. Besides Sydney and the GB Reef for the AUS part, Queenstown on the south island in NZ is a must (sim. to Lake Tahoe, but better). It will be hot in their summertime, but that means ogling more bikini babes too - lucky you....

You'll probably have to get a diff. RV for NZ vs. the one for Aussie. I don't think they have ferries that go that far....but seriously, you'll also want to ditch the RV for a couple of days out on the reef. If you dive, or even snorkle, the trip to one of the many islands there will be worth it.

How long do you have again? 2 weeks in AUS and 1 in NZ should do for now, but you'll want more, believe me. Forget Ayers Rock on this one - its like driving from NY to Denver to see a big rock. Besides Sydney and the GB Reef for the AUS part, Queenstown on the south island in NZ is a must (sim. to Lake Tahoe, but better). It will be hot in their summertime, but that means ogling more bikini babes too - lucky you....

Sound advice. Thinking of sticking with NZ only at this point so we can be more thorough. Probably will take about 16-18 days and will do Australia a couple years later.

Was in NZ (Queenstown) in Feb... total blast. You can schedule all kinds of day trips. Helicopter rides, bungee jumping, canyon swing (this looked cool). speed boat, river raft, parasailing, etc. There’s no liability so it’s sorta the thrill seeking place to be. The scenery is beautiful as it gets, and if fly fishing is your deal it’s supposed to be the best in the world. If you go to Queenstown, make sure you have a Ferburger (pronounced “Furburger”). Hands down the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen.

Was in NZ (Queenstown) in Feb... total blast. You can schedule all kinds of day trips. Helicopter rides, bungee jumping, canyon swing (this looked cool). speed boat, river raft, parasailing, etc. There’s no liability so it’s sorta the thrill seeking place to be. The scenery is beautiful as it gets, and if fly fishing is your deal it’s supposed to be the best in the world. If you go to Queenstown, make sure you have a Ferburger (pronounced “Furburger”). Hands down the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen.

I see it hasn't changed much in the 15 years since I've been there - thats' good. (Geez, that makes me feel old.) Missed the ferburger though - and I'm afraid to ask.

Good call on doing them one at a time, UM. They do deserve 3 weeks each, at least. Have fun!

I don't think ferburger's exist.

New Zealand - Day 17

By munkey | March 31, 2006

Friday 31st March 2006

WOW! Ben and I did a bungy jump this morning! The Nevis Highwire, the highest bungy in Australasia! 134m! It was awesome! Completely hair raising, but well worth it. The ground rush is great, you basically jump from a ledge dangling above the Nevis River. Originally I was only booked in as a spectator to watch Ben, but on the bus ride to the Nevis, I thought ‘why the hell not - if im ever going to do a bungy jump it might as well be the highest (in australasia at least)!’ Sorry mum and dad. I know how you hate it when I do these sort of extreme activities. I had a great time though. Both our jumps where captured on dvd, so they should get uploaded onto the gallery soon!

The scariest part for me was probably standing on the ledge just before you lean forward and push off. You will notice in the movie Im looking down at one point. Don’t be deceived. I was not at all focusing on the river below, otherwise I would have probably chickened out. I was just focusing on the tips of both my shoes. I looked up, focused on a pine tree growning on an edge of the cliff on the mountain opposite and then dived into the abyss! Pretty amazing sensation as you plummet towards the rocky river below. Initially, before the cord is pulled stretched tight, you actually feel as if you are flying/floating there. A lot of fun and Im glad I did it!!

If Ben ever gets his arse into gear, Im sure he will share he’s 2 bungy experiences with you! heh

After the jump we went and had lunch at Ferburger. They make the most fantastic burgers! Great variety - beef, lamb, chicken, fish, tofu and falafel burgers to choose from and they’re bloody massive too!

The rest of today will be pretty relaxing. Just going to organise our gear for our routeburn track hike tomorrow morning, and then probably cook dinner tonight at the backpackers. Which reminds me…….last night Ben and I went to dinner at Dux de Lux and shared a bowl of mussels cooked in a dry riesling broth of lemon and garlic for dinner, along with our mains of Chilli Squid Caesar salad (without the squid, as Ben confused the waiter and ended up getting chicken instead) and Cajun Grilled Monkfish. Pretty damn tasty. We also had a couple of glasses of the locally brewed beer. Pretty lush. As I may have previously mentioned Ben and I are particularly obsessed with NZ green lipped mussels, ever since we had our first real taste in Marahau. After dinner we were still feeling slightly peckish, and a little (very slight) disappointed in the mussels we had at Dux de Lux…sooooooo…sheepishly Ben and I walked a couple of hundred metres to Finz restaurant on the Wharf and ordered another large bowl of chilli, tomato and coriander mussels and half a dozen natural oysters!!!! I KNOW! One of the seven deadly sins - GLUTTONY! We felt so guilty! Not to mention we pretty much inhaled the mussels and the oysters! The waiter even commented on how quickly we finished things! How embarrasssing. No regrets though, the mussels and oysters here at beautiful!