[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any of you ever give the eulogy at a funeral?

muck

It depends on how close you two were and how good you are at controlling your emotions. I was crying like a little girl being pall bearer at mine's funeral this summer but I was already an emotional wreck. My wife did the greatest eulogy I have ever heard. i will ask her tomorrow.

I've done two in the past year, yeah it's been a tough year. This week last year I did my grandfather's, I can send it to you but I will agree with the above poster who said that if you speak from the heart you can't go wrong. A little humor works well too, that's what I tried to do in both of mine albeit more so in my grandpas.

I had to speak at my father's funeral. It was more than difficult. Just speak from the heart remembering your life and times with your grandfather. It doesn't have to be long, just honest.

I've given one. I included many personal recollections about that person and her life. If you personalize the eulogy and, as Blitz said, speak from the heart, you can't go wrong. I would discourage you from being long-winded. I took about 5 minutes. I wrote mine out and went over it enough in practice that I only had to look down every so often to keep going. If you think you're going to break down, stop to collect yourself. Understand that even if you cry, no one will think less of you.

Yes. My recommendation is to recount stories, from your perspective, that illustrate the qualities you liked best about him. To the extent your stories involve/mention his interactions with others attending the services, all the better. The focus shouldn't be just on the man, alone: it should be more on the positive effect he had on those around him. Did he teach someone to swim? Bail someone out of jail? Give someone their first job? Teach someone to drive? Always slip a buck or some treats to grandkids when their parents weren't looking? Those are the kinds of stories people want to hear about.

Try to avoid generic platitudes like "he's in a better place" and crap like that, even if its true. And resist the temptation to make his eulogy merely read like his life's resume. It's also generally advisable not to start out with humor, but to weave humor along the way so as to leave everyone's spirits a little bit higher than they were before you started.

I've given one. I included many personal recollections about that person and her life. If you personalize the eulogy and, as Blitz said, speak from the heart, you can't go wrong. I would discourage you from being long-winded. I took about 5 minutes. I wrote mine out and went over it enough in practice that I only had to look down every so often to keep going. If you think you're going to break down, stop to collect yourself. Understand that even if you cry, no one will think less of you.

Good info! No.................GREAT INFO!!!!

I had to do one for my best friend at the time. ~1976....he was in a coma for 5 years. I couldn't write anything. God bless my wife! She wrote it as we were close as a couple. She wrote it better than I could! I read it....maybe 5 minutes......broke up several times, but I was glad I got thru it and could do it!

Good luck, Muck! These things are tough, but it IS an honor!

Edited by rocknrobn26

Twice, my dad and my aunt.

Write it out word for word. You don't have to go exactly from your notes but you'll be glad you have them.

Some humor makes the speaking easier, but that depends on the personality of the deceased.

What I wrote about my aunt is on my blog.

Edited by KevinL

I thought about what I wanted to say, and then I said it. No notes needed.

I think it went well; I said my peace.

Thanks for the encouragement, prayers, well-wishes and sympathies.

:D Glad it went well!

Good job, Muck.

The one time I had the honor (for my Grandfather), I read from a prepared statment. I only had one paragraph down on the paper. The first sentence after the written word...I began bawling like a baby. Rough, rough time.

My advice to anyone else reading for future reference is to get what you can on paper, Even if it is in OUTLINE mode so that you have something to grab onto. Anchor to.

Many don't need this technique, but, I bet some sure do. It might be better to have it and not find out you're one of the ones who need it.

you are a better man than I but we already knew that. How is grandma?

I've been asked to give the eulogy for my grandfather on Saturday.

Any suggestions from those who have done it before?

Muck, I am sorry for your loss. I am late in answering so I hope all worked out well for you. I've given 8 eulogies -- including my mother's. Nothing harder than that one.

Edited by The Wolf

you are a better man than I but we already knew that. How is grandma?

Grandma's doing awesome! She even came to the birthday party we had for our son today at the bowling alley -- he'll be four tomorrow. She was smiles and happy. :D

The eulogy went so well that I had a few people who are friends of my grandparents ask me if I was a pastor ... :D ... my wife then proceeds to tell me that growing up, her mom always told her that she was going to marry a pastor. :D Who knows what the future holds. :wacko: