[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Pres. Caucus

BeeR

Well?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. So who would you probably vote for if they get the nomination?

• Clinton
    • Obama
    • Edwards
    • Other Dem (name)
    • Huckabee
    • McCain
    • Romney
    • Paul
    • Other Rep (name)

That is actually a very valid question.

Long time no see, dude.

Yeah, Guatemalan prisons don't offer internet access.... Been busy lately and since they outlawed political discourse in the Huddle, well its just not as much fun. :D Though, I do find the fantasy info to be the best of any fantasy web page and very helpful. :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, the tax code doesn't currently discriminate on that basis in deterniming its income thresholds and never has. but it would be interesting to consider whether it should. :D

I've considered it, and yes, it should...

Blaa Bllaa Blaa LULU

give it a rest.

This is a new election Bush is not running.

check the title of the thread.

your stick is old. We need a change That change is LULU to quite blaming everything that happens in this world on Rove and Bush.

You lost the election -get over it.-

The goal was to Protect American soli. The goal was to control the Middle east.

Mission accomplished

The middle east may not be stable but we own it.

Now back to the election

:D

Well, if he's not smart enough to vary this threshold by state, or even by county in big states like CA, he's not smart enough to run my country...

That would be yet another complication of an already Byzantine tax code when it's crying out for simplification. Not disagreeing with the point you're making, just pointing out the complexity.

That would be yet another complication of an already Byzantine tax code when it's crying out for simplification. Not disagreeing with the point you're making, just pointing out the complexity.

Interesting idea, but I can't imagine a way to implement it that is both (i) meaningful enough to warrant the change in the tax code and (ii) won't have at least a VERY good chance of resulting in a bunch of people moving from one part of the country to another simply to take advantage of whatever is in the revised tax code...

Interesting idea, but I can't imagine a way to implement it that is both (i) meaningful enough to warrant the change in the tax code and (ii) won't have at least a VERY good chance of resulting in a bunch of people moving from one part of the country to another simply to take advantage of whatever is in the revised tax code...

the only way to "take advantage" would be to move to a place where the cost of living is ridiculously high -- in other words, NOT the kind of place you move to if you're trying to save money.

as far as how would they do it? they could base it on the federal employee locality adjustment guidelines -- where basically the same exact federal job pays more in localities where the cost of living is higher.

.....resulting in a bunch of people moving from one part of the country to another simply to take advantage of whatever is in the revised tax code...

This would be comical. I can see people moving into LA county from say, Riverside county or even out of state, and going 'Oh crap. I saved some income tax but now I'm living in a house that is half as big for the same money as my old one, with no yard, and the wife is pissed that everything else costs more too. And private school costs another $1 or $2 grand/month. Oops.'

I'd be laughing.....

in a sense it does already, at least slightly and indirectly, with the mortgage interest tax deduction.

As do the itemized deductions for state and local/sales taxes, property taxes, and to a (much) lesser degree in connection with child day care and education credits, the amounts of which indirectly factor in the relative costs based on geography. It ain't perfect, but it does help to smooth things out for those who itemize. However, those who merely take the standardized deduction in the "high rent" areas of the nation get bent over like Hugh's mom 37 years and 9 months ago.

Edited by yo mama

Ron Paul Newsletter Scandall

The controversial newsletters include rants against the Israeli lobby, gays, AIDS victims and Martin Luther King Jr. -- described as a "pro-Communist philanderer." One newsletter, from June 1992, right after the LA riots, says "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

Another says, "The criminals who terrorize our cities -- in riots and on every non-riot day -- are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are. As children, they are trained to hate whites, to believe that white oppression is responsible for all black ills, to 'fight the power,' to steal and loot as much money from the white enemy as possible."

What do you all think of this? Daily KOS encouraging Democrats to vote in the Republican Primary in Michigan in order to screw up the results. Couple of questions...

Are you fine with this kind of thing?

Are you disgusted by this kind of thing?

Would you ever do this personally if you had the opportunity and the encouragement to so so?

What do you all think of this? Daily KOS encouraging Democrats to vote in the Republican Primary in Michigan in order to screw up the results. Couple of questions...

Would you ever do this personally if you had the opportunity and the encouragement to so so?

I think this person wants Romney to win Michigan. If Romney losses Michigan he may not drop out but he will be done.

If it was really trying to mess up the Primary they would be telling Democrats to vote for Thomson or Keyes

If Romney losses Michigan he may not drop out but he will be done.

Why do people keep saying this? I'm not a Romney backer, but he leads the count in delegates for the GOP. Why would the delegate leader be done? Maybe I'm not politically savvy enough to understand the nuances of a Presidential campaign. But this doesn't makes any sense to me (and I've heard it from multiple sources now).

Your vote is your vote, but personally I find this type of thing bad karma.

Why do people keep saying this? I'm not a Romney backer, but he leads the count in delegates for the GOP. Why would the delegate leader be done? Maybe I'm not politically savvy enough to understand the nuances of a Presidential campaign. But this doesn't makes any sense to me (and I've heard it from multiple sources now).

Romney was born in Michigan, and his father George was governor of the state.

If Michigan doesnt vote for him . Who will?

Sure wont be the Baptist in the South.

Romney needs to show that he could carry the South and Midwest in the General Election. That's why Michigan (and South Carolina) are really important to him right now.

I also disagree with screwing with the other party's delegate votes. And I'm not surprised that the asstards at the Daily Kos are encouraging it.

Romney was born in Michigan, and his father George was governor of the state.

If Michigan doesnt vote for him . Who will?

Sure wont be the Baptist in the South.

But again it's only one State and Romney leads the count in delegates.

To win the Republican nomination, you need 1,191 delegates. Here is the count so far:

Romney - 30

Huckabee - 21

McCain - 10

Thompson - 6

Paul - 2

Giuliani - 1

Hunter - 1

Now I don't know how many delegates Michigan has to offer the GOP here, but it certainly wouldn't be enough to say that Romney is done when he has a 9 delegate lead over the next closest candidate. Would it look bad for him to lose Michigan? Sure. But not unrecoverable by any means.

It's a nasty partisan trick to try to hurt the other side.

And before people claim "OMG, WTF Dems!", read the article:

"In 1972, Republican voters in Michigan decided to make a little mischief, crossing over to vote in the open Democratic primary and voting for segregationist Democrat George Wallace, seriously embarrassing the state's Democrats. In fact, a third of the voters (PDF) in the Democratic primary were Republican crossover votes. In 1988, Republican voters again crossed over, helping Jesse Jackson win the Democratic primary, helping rack up big margins for Jackson in Republican precincts. (Michigan Republicans can clearly be counted on to practice the worst of racial politics.) In 1998, Republicans helped Jack Kevorkian's lawyer -- quack Geoffrey Feiger -- win his Democratic primary, thus guaranteeing their hold on the governor's mansion that year."

Nasty partisan tricks are always justified by the other side being worse. I'm not a fan either way.

wow, that is brilliant. so let's see, this is already all over the innernets...so if romney wins, all kinds of people will be talking about how it's only because of kos mischief. a lot of "momentum" that kind of tainted victory will bring, even if the moranic little devious scheme were to succeed. but there's another problem....being labelled as the "kos candidate", the weak horse the enemy wants to keep alive, is only going to take REAL republican votes away from mitt. yeah, real genius plan there, kos :D

Why have open primaries at all? Look at ACEOs post earlier, plus the Kos thing - both sides do it and it's ridiculous.

I agree that open primaries are stupid (and abused on both sides). If one's state allows this free-for-all fu@kfest, what would be the point of even declaring a party of affiliation when one registered to vote?