[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Replacing car battery cables

Furd

I am replacing a car battery. The cables are a little worn, so I thought that I'd replace them whilst I was at it. The thing is, I have never even considered doing this before. It can't be that hard, can it? I'd appreciate any advice, tips, ridicule etc. (except from Puddy.)

TIA.

Dude, I cannot imagine you have a car old enough or dilapidated enough to need to replace the cables. If you change the batt yourself, use some terminal cleaner and a wire brush, clean the ends, install battery, and use some terminal sealant to keep corrosion off. No need to change the cables dude, way more work and effort for no gain.

Dude, I cannot imagine you have a car old enough or dilapidated enough to need to replace the cables. If you change the batt yourself, use some terminal cleaner and a wire brush, clean the ends, install battery, and use some terminal sealant to keep corrosion off. No need to change the cables dude, way more work and effort for no gain.

Agree. I've never actually had to change the cables.

I changed my mind, you need to call AAA and have those rotten cables changed TONIGHT.

Same here. Cables normally wear out faster than H8's thongs. Give Puddy a call and have him change not only the cables but the entire fuse panel, all the wires throughout the car and don't forget to have him rotate the tires.

Best thread ever.

:wacko: this is gonna be one of those threads where the person asks a legitimate question, goes to bed, wakes up and sees the thread's been locked, there are four pages of responses and only two of them actually address the original question.

This is sound advice.

Should've bought the Vette, ya big dummy.

That's right, we don't have to replace battery cables, just the entire wiring harness and computer that sits directly beneath the defective, leaky battery that GM was kind enough to ship with the car.

That's right, we don't have to replace battery cables, just the entire wiring harness and computer that sits directly beneath the defective, leaky battery that GM was kind enough to ship with the car.

Remember...when it breaks, it's a piece of crap Chevy. :wacko: