[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PETA Likens AKC to the KKK

sundaynfl

AKC and the KKK

More like an SNL skit than a real commercial... what a bunch of idiots!!

If I want a dog that herds cattle or shep I get a Austrailan Shepard or for hunting birds I get a lab, not a mutt (although some of my favorite dogs are mutts). So now Purebred dogs are evil!! :wacko:

Edited to add: The Sex Talk one is pretty good too.... "My little girl's gonna get some!"

Edited by sundaynfl

I had a roommate who was into Rots and I met the breeder he used. I would have a hard time thinking anyone could be more insane than that guy, so PETA has some ways to go to catch up to him in my eyes. I also agree that PETA goes over the top way to often and would never give my money to them because the do make a-holes of themselves on a regular basis.

However, I have no problem with anyone speaking out against the level of insanity that often surrounds pure-bred enthusiasts. Choosing a lab because you hunt or a herding dog because you have livestock is one thing. Getting hung up on ear-shape and length of tail, etc. is yet another entirely. Face it, 99% of dogs are not chosen because the people are hunters, ranchers, etc. It's because they like the way a certain breed looks. Vanity rules the day. Considering that the disposition of mutts is often better than that of many pure-breeds, this makes no sense at all. Choose some pyscho dog that has a perfect nose over a faithful and loving pet? Makes great sense to me. :wacko:

I had a roommate who was into Rots and I met the breeder he used. I would have a hard time thinking anyone could be more insane than that guy, so PETA has some ways to go to catch up to him in my eyes. I also agree that PETA goes over the top way to often and would never give my money to them because the do make a-holes of themselves on a regular basis.

However, I have no problem with anyone speaking out against the level of insanity that often surrounds pure-bred enthusiasts. Choosing a lab because you hunt or a herding dog because you have livestock is one thing. Getting hung up on ear-shape and length of tail, etc. is yet another entirely. Face it, 99% of dogs are not chosen because the people are hunters, ranchers, etc. It's because they like the way a certain breed looks. Vanity rules the day. Considering that the disposition of mutts is often better than that of many pure-breeds, this makes no sense at all. Choose some pyscho dog that has a perfect nose over a faithful and loving pet? Makes great sense to me. :D

:wacko:

So I should only be allowed to get a pure bred if I'm going to use him for what he was bred for? Oh, OK. Thanks for making that decision for me. And for your information, people with a brain get pure breds based on temperment of the breed as opposed to looks. But apparently you're an ekkspurt on the subject. So can you tell me what kind of dog I'm allowed to have? TIA.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

So I should only be allowed to get a pure bred if I'm going to use him for what he was bred for? Oh, OK. Thanks for making that decision for me. And for your information, people with a brain get pure breds based on temperment of the breed as opposed to looks. But apparently you're an ekkspurt on the subject. So can you tell me what kind of dog I'm allowed to have? TIA.

Of for godsakes. You guys are getting so damned defensive. My point is simply this: PETA is, as usual, over the top. However, so are a ton of people in the AKC. Thus, I have no problem with someone taking shots at the AKC. If it makes those of you who have pure-bred dogs feel attacked, boo-freaking-hoo. Be a man and roll with the punches.

Get whatever freaking dog you want. Perhaps my 99% number was a bit of a stretch. Perhaps you have chosen a breed that is known to be good with kids because you have youngins. That's great. Perhaps, like I mentioned above, you are a hunter and want a lab. Again, just fine. Then again, maybe you're one of those dickless wonders who gets a purebred attack dog because of it's "temperment". Who knows? Perhaps you're the same guy who buys an SUV with all weather tires despite the fact that he never leaves the city for the same reason he has a hunting dog, because they make him feel like the guy on a Wrangler Jeans commercial. Very lame. Of course, I don't pretend to know you so I won't assume what your motivation is.

However, if your motivation is to not only want a specific breed for no reason but that you like how that breed looks and then go so far as to be anal about every minute detail regarding that breed, then I do reserve the right to say you're freaking whack job and likely a loser as well. Doesn't mean you can't do it, but I'll be damned if I wont think you're a dork. That is, after all, my right.

Certainly you are not implying that there isn't a significant portion of the AKC that is completely hung up on random BS like cropped ears and proper joint angles that needs to be seriously lampooned?

Edited by detlef

yep, that is a hugh part of why people decide on the breeds that they do...i am sure looks have a part in it but there is a consistency with temperment that cant be overlooked when a dog is breed correctly.

Of for godsakes. You guys are getting so damned defensive. My point is simply this: PETA is, as usual, over the top. However, so are a ton of people in the AKC. Thus, I have no problem with someone taking shots at the AKC. If it makes those of you who have pure-bred dogs feel attacked, boo-freaking-hoo. Be a man and roll with the punches.

Get whatever freaking dog you want. Perhaps my 99% number was a bit of a stretch. Perhaps you have chosen a breed that is known to be good with kids because you have youngins. That's great. Perhaps, like I mentioned above, you are a hunter and want a lab. Again, just fine. Then again, maybe you're one of those dickless wonders who gets a purebred attack dog because of it's "temperment". Who knows? Perhaps you're the same guy who buys an SUV with all weather tires despite the fact that he never leaves the city for the same reason he has a hunting dog, because they make him feel like the guy on a Wrangler Jeans commercial. Very lame. Of course, I don't pretend to know you so I won't assume what your motivation is.

However, if your motivation is to not only want a specific breed for no reason but that you like how that breed looks and then go so far as to be anal about every minute detail regarding that breed, then I do reserve the right to say you're freaking whack job and likely a loser as well. Doesn't mean you can't do it, but I'll be damned if I wont think you're a dork. That is, after all, my right.

Certainly you are not implying that there isn't a significant portion of the AKC that is completely hung up on random BS like cropped ears and proper joint angles that needs to be seriously lampooned?

Perhaps you are the kinda guy that has to go to an upscale restaurant to get steak vs the guy that goes to outback :D

If you're going to make a statement, make it and mean it.

You said: Face it, 99% of dogs are not chosen because the people are hunters, ranchers, etc. It's because they like the way a certain breed looks.

I said: that's bullsh*t.

Now you say I'm crying and need to be a man. Ok, at least I've learned that having an intelligent and civil discussion with you is impossible. And I've seen your picture, so I'm pretty confident that you are a dork, and don't have to base it on assumptions. Color me judgemental.

Oh, and for the record, pure bred dogs are a hugh part of a lot of peoples lives. They may be a bit obsessive, but comparing them to people who think breeders and the KKK have similarities is insane. That's my point.

And before you get all confrontational, the comment about your picture was simply a wise retort to your "having a right" to express an opinion.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Oh, and for the record, pure bred dogs are a hugh part of a lot of peoples lives. They may be a bit obsessive, but comparing them to people who think breeders and the KKK have similarities is insane. That's my point.

And before you get all confrontational, the comment about your picture was simply a wise retort to your "having a right" to express an opinion.

You wearing a skirt today :wacko:

I am a huge believer in purebred dogs and breeding them along the lines that the specific breed was intended... Most people want a dog that has a certain temp. and disposition...as I have said some of the mutts I have had are great dogs and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Breeders who run "puppy mills" without regard for the breed or genetics are the ones that should be out of business. But PETA likes to cast it's extremist net and not show the benefits of a well bred dog, it would rahter show purebreed dogs as the bad guy and somehow responsible for pet overpopulation along with the AKC.

I also think that the AKC has it's own faults and has destroyed some breeds of dog due to it's definiton of that breed. They have completly destroyed the English Bulldog to where it can't breed naturally (artificial insemination) can't whelp naturally (Cesarian) has breathing problems, hip problems etc... they have taken a once great working dog and turned it into the worlds greatest couch potato!

I am a huge believer in purebred dogs and breeding them along the lines that the specific breed was intended... Most people want a dog that has a certain temp. and disposition...as I have said some of the mutts I have had are great dogs and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Breeders who run "puppy mills" without regard for the breed or genetics are the ones that should be out of business. But PETA likes to cast it's extremist net and not show the benefits of a well bred dog, it would rahter show purebreed dogs as the bad guy and somehow responsible for pet overpopulation along with the AKC.

I also think that the AKC has it's own faults and has destroyed some breeds of dog due to it's definiton of that breed. They have completly destroyed the English Bulldog to where it can't breed naturally (artificial insemination) can't whelp naturally (Cesarian) has breathing problems, hip problems etc... they have taken a once great working dog and turned it into the worlds greatest couch potato!

Isn't this everyone's fate.

For starters. I am sorry for being the first person ever to exaggerate a percentage for effect when using "99%".

There, I said it.

Now, you guys seem to think that temperment rather than appearance is the most important thing that "most people" look for in a breed. Interesting.

Why is it then, that the Super Bowl of Purebred dogs is all about physical atributes? Why, for instance are all those dogs on leads? Many of them jerking around while on that lead? Is it not too much to ask of the dogs that have made it to the finals of that thing to be able to behave off leash? They don't judge the hunting dogs by how many birds they can get. They don't judge the working dogs by how many sheep they can corral. No, they judge them on whether or not their jaw is the right shape. What the hell is that?

That's worse than Miss Universe and most wouldn't think twice about calling those kinds of pagents out as sort strange to say the least.. At least there they pretend that there's something more than appearance. And even when it comes to appearance, they're not "breed" specific. It's, "Is this woman beautiful" not, is Miss Congo's nose the right shape for someone of her "breed".

And Hugh, lay off the high road and "intelligent debate". You left that notion in the dust when you implied I was telling you what you could and couldn't do based on the fact that I thought it strange that everyone seemed to think the AKC was above taking some chit. You also left it in the dust when you implied I somehow thought comparing it to the KKK was fine despite the fact that I made it very clear it was over the top.

I have friends who have pure breds. All of whom chose them because of their disposition. All of whom also got them on the cheap because they were "rejects" and could never be shown or bred for some random reason or another. Fortunately, the visual defect in the Newfoundlands my uncle bought because they were great with kids, didn't change the fact that they were, in fact, great with kids.

Edited by detlef

For starters. I am sorry for being the first person ever to exaggerate a percentage for effect when using "99%".

There, I said it.

Now, you guys seem to think that temperment rather than appearance is the most important thing that "most people" look for in a breed. Interesting.

Why is it then, that the Super Bowl of Purebred dogs is all about physical atributes? Why, for instance are all those dogs on leads? Many of them jerking around while on that lead? Is it not too much to ask of the dogs that have made it to the finals of that thing to be able to behave off leash? They don't judge the hunting dogs by how many birds they can get. They don't judge the working dogs by how many sheep they can corral. No, they judge them on whether or not their jaw is the right shape. What the hell is that?

That's worse than Miss Universe and most wouldn't think twice about calling those kinds of pagents out as sort strange to say the least.. At least there they pretend that there's something more than appearance. And even when it comes to appearance, they're not "breed" specific. It's, "Is this woman beautiful" not, is Miss Congo's nose the right shape for someone of her "breed".

And Hugh, lay off the high road and "intelligent debate". You left that notion in the dust when you implied I was telling you what you could and couldn't do based on the fact that I thought it strange that everyone seemed to think the AKC was above taking some chit. You also left it in the dust when you implied I somehow thought comparing it to the KKK was fine despite the fact that I made it very clear it was over the top.

I have friends who have pure breds. All of whom chose them because of their disposition. All of whom also got them on the cheap because they were "rejects" and could never be shown or bred for some random reason or another. Fortunately, the visual defect in the Newfoundlands my uncle bought because they were great with kids, didn't change the fact that they were, in fact, great with kids.

They are also judged on their gait too(99% sure) and a lead for a trainer is like a steering wheel for a nascar driver

They are also judged on their gait too(99% sure) and a lead for a trainer is like a steering wheel for a nascar driver

So in agility competition, people can get their dogs to weave in and out of poles go up and down ramps, etc off lead but the best trainers can't get the best dogs in the world to jog in a circle?

Oh, and for the record, answering why they're on lead doesn't really begin to explain the difference between what you all claim to be the primary reason for choosing a breed (temperment) and the fact that the big AKC dog show is all about looks.

Edited by detlef

So in agility competition, people can get their dogs to weave in and out of poles go up and down ramps, etc off lead but the best trainers can't get the best dogs in the world to jog in a circle?

Oh, and for the record, answering why they're on lead doesn't really begin to explain the difference between what you all claim to be the primary reason for choosing a breed (temperment) and the fact that the big AKC dog show is all about looks.

Yes the AKC goes by the looks of a dog and how that dog and it's temperment would perform in the field... A Lab in the sporting division would have to be an athletic build with a strong jaw and an "otter like" tail all of these for obvious reasons... along with a coat that allows the animal to not get cold after swimming in ice cold water... so yes looks and build are important to dogs! A rat terrier needs a long nose so he can get into tight places when looking for rats.... etc...

As far as leads go I thought that would be common sense as to why the animals are on a lead but I guess not... When you get a group of dogs together and they are not on a leash they like to socialize and perhaps a girl dog amy be iun heat this tends to excit ethe boy dogs and they may stray away from their owner or try to fight the other male dogs so he can get a little. The vast majority of the dogs in dogs shows are very well behaved and would not leave their owners side.. but there are alwyas exceptions to the rule so dog shows require that all dogs are either kenneled or on a lead! In agility trials dogs are usually on the course by themselves and when not competing they are on a lead or crated... whereas during a show there are several dogs on the competition floor.

Edited by sundaynfl

Just say it sundaynfl....if the male pure breed jumped up and started humping on a different female pure breed, you'd kinda defeat the purpose of being there.

On a side note, I've always had mutts adopted from the Humane Society. If you are a casual owner, a mutt is a far better choice than a pure breed. There are too many people out there doing it for the money and not the welfare of the dogs. Adopt a dog from a humane society before buying one, people. We've got a pure bred beagle that we inherited and it's f'n insane compared to my 2 lab sisters that we adopted.