[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama's Global Poverty Act passes

sundaynfl

Not to minimize the poverty that exists here, but even our very poor have it better off than many in other countries. We might have slums, but we don't have millions living in cardboard shacks, with raw sewage running in streams outside their "doors."

We have the same thing here, except it isn't such a large portion of our population. There are plenty of homeless people that live in cardboard shacks or sleep on steam grates or under bridges... we can't take care of them but they are moved and areas cleaned up by our cities. In the impoverished countries no-one cares because they all live like that!

We have the same thing here, except it isn't such a large portion of our population. There are plenty of homeless people that live in cardboard shacks or sleep on steam grates or under bridges... we can't take care of them but they are moved and areas cleaned up by our cities. In the impoverished countries no-one cares because they all live like that! Maybe L.A. doesn't have homeless people??? :wacko:

We have the same thing here, except it isn't such a large portion of our population. There are plenty of homeless people that live in cardboard shacks or sleep on steam grates or under bridges... we can't take care of them but they are moved and areas cleaned up by our cities. In the impoverished countries no-one cares because they all live like that!

We have the same thing here, except it isn't such a large portion of our population. There are plenty of homeless people that live in cardboard shacks or sleep on steam grates or under bridges... we can't take care of them but they are moved and areas cleaned up by our cities. In the impoverished countries no-one cares because they all live like that! Maybe L.A. doesn't have homeless people??? :D

:wacko: Los Angeles has one of the largest homeless populations in the country. But nowhere do I see what I described: millions living in cardboard shacks (aka shantytowns) where raw sewage flows feet from where they sleep. As in India, China, Brazil, etc. Thanks for playing.

I don't like the sound of this at all. I've been to several Third World countries (oops, "developing nations"). They are having a hard time for various reasons, but mainly because they have corrupt leadership. Their POS leaders just want to line their own pockets and don't give a rats ass about their own people.

For the most part, you might as well just put money into a Cayman Island account for the dictator there for all the good it does the people. A few years ago, rght after I returned from Zambia, where they were having a frickin FAMINE, the Zambian President refused an offer of corn from the US. The reason was that it was genetically modified.

This jerkoff preferred to let his people starve rather than take the corn. To the best of my knowledge, the GM corn is totally safe for consumption. The only small but legitimate concern would be if you planted it. The only slack I can cut him is that maybe he knows his people best and he thinks they'll plant it.

Anyway, foreign aid, the way we do it, is just a bandaid. I would tie foreign aid to certain important goals toward self sufficiency for these countries such as improvements in infrastructure and education, not just hand it to the gummints.

Rant over.

"through aid, trade, debt relief, and coordination with the international community, businesses and NGOs."

:wacko:

This may be a business approach. Hagel is pretty conservative andn if he signs on I'd look deeper. Debt relief for some countries may actually make a lot of sense.

Invading countries to open them up for business interests hasn't worked. Perhaps opening poorer countries in this way will. Corrupt leaders are a problem, but they are a problem in wealthy countries like ours as well.

Working with countries with a carrot makes more sense than beating them with the stick. It also helps fight terrorists and other enemies.

I'd like to hear Hagel's take on this.

Using words like 'global tax" are power words that incite anger in many people. I see nothing in Obama's text that says any such thing. The reason we have a alien problem here and Israel has one is because rich countries are right next to extremely poor ones. Working with other countries to improve their lives makes a lot of sense. I'd like to know more.

Edited by Randall

:wacko: Los Angeles has one of the largest homeless populations in the country. But nowhere do I see what I described: millions living in cardboard shacks (aka shantytowns) where raw sewage flows feet from where they sleep. As in India, China, Brazil, etc. Thanks for playing.

Wow... I didn't realize that I was playing anything. Maybe you play with yourself while typing with the other hand and were thinking I do?? :D

There may not be millions of people living in cardboard boxes in the U.S. but there are people who live just like they do in shanties... and we still have a homeless problem.

Miami Shanty

The shanty town is legal under the landmark "Pottinger Settlement", a court supervised guideline for treating the homeless. The settlement was reached after years of city of Miami abuse of the homeless. Pottinger dictates that the homeless cannot be arrested for engaging in "Life Sustaining Conduct," including public nudity related to calls of nature or bathing, eating, sleeping in public and maintaining "temporary structures." The shanty town enables the homeless to conduct "life sustaining" business together in one public location instead of separately in several locations.

New York Shanty New York Times

"For the better part of the last decade, Mr. Kalinski lived in one of the sagging shanties that lined the cavernous two-and-a-half mile Amtrak tunnel hard by the Hudson River, part of what may be the oldest remaining homeless community in New York City. With the exception of a failed attempt to emerge two years ago, and occasional shafts of light from the street above, Mr. Kalinski spent every day in darkness -- shivering through winters without heat, collecting cans at dawn and dodging rats at dusk.

Then last summer, Mr. Kalinski and several of his tunnel neighbors -- who have come to be known as the Mole People -- were encouraged to apply for Federal housing vouchers and try living above ground. And now, ever so tentatively, a trickle of them have begun the journey out. "

I have seen shanty towns in Africa, South and Central America and here in the US... the shanties in other countries are much larger and more visible, but it doesn't mean we don't have them here. It's always an eye opening experience when I take my kids out during the winter to help the homeless and we have to step around human feces, piss, syringes etc... to get to them under a bridge. One year, before I had kids a police officer and I were even lucky enough to find a couple of dead homeless people. They froze to death!! To bad I didn't get there before they died, maybe I could have told them how much better they had it than the rest of the world!!

IMHO I think we should solve our problems before we go about solving the worlds problems....

IMHO I think we should solve our problems before we go about solving the worlds problems....

I'm not sure we have to do it before. We can do some things simultaneously(small ones) but agree. Our country has a lot of needs especially if we want to compete in the global market. Our infrastructure and education systems do have needs.

I didn't see any dollar amounts in the act. It seemed more like a requiremen to do something but left the details up to future leaders.

Veterans living homeless and with mental problems would be one of my first choices. Not taking care of those fighting for us is a joke.

My :wacko:

Veterans living homeless and with mental problems would be one of my first choices. Not taking care of those fighting for us is a joke.

My :wacko:

Strongly agree. Before I spent a penny on another country's internal problems, I would make sure that every veteran of the US military had access to excellent medical and mental health care, job training and anything else they might need to pursue happiness. Not handouts, but free, easy access to opportunities and care.

Strongly agree. Before I spent a penny on another country's internal problems, I would make sure that every veteran of the US military had access to excellent medical and mental health care, job training and anything else they might need to pursue happiness. Not handouts, but free, easy access to opportunities and care.

After every war there are veterans that aren't taken care of. After Vietnam effects of Napalm and Agent Orange were denied and after Gulf War 1 it was depleted uranium(not really depleted) that were denied. In some cases vets suffered while being told they weren't really injured. That may have hurt the most.

That needs to change. While seeing if there are health problems don't tell vets they aren't really suffering. Treat them with the same respect they have treated our country.

Wow... I didn't realize that I was playing anything. Maybe you play with yourself while typing with the other hand and were thinking I do?? :

I started my initial post with "Not trying to minimize the problems we have here..." and you try to start a pissing match over which countries poor are worse off. I'll pass and we can agree to disagree on the notion that extreme poverty as found in the 3rd world does not exist here to the manner and level it does in other countries.

Make a note, snfl was against the Iraq war.

Wurd,

Not that people who supported the Iraq War don't have the right to poo poo this, but it would be appropriate for the previous and current pro-Bush sect who are getting all high and mighty in opposition to this admit a certain degree of hypocrisy or at least admit a glaring lack of relative perspective.