[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Swammi Takes Manhattan

i_am_the_swammi

Touring our new aquisition today, and need a solid spot for some dinner. We bought the old Interocntinental in Tudor City (2nd and E. 40th), and need a solid recommendation within the neighborhood (or an easy walk, if possible)

Was hoping to have some time for some Huddler interaction, but unfortunately all business this trip...heading back to Philly in the AM.

Thanks!!

There is also Frankie and Johnnies steak house on 37th strett between 5th and 6th..Great food . Pricey though

There is a great brick oven pizza place called Lazaros on the corner of 38th and 7th ave

Right on that same corner as Lazaros is the spanish Tavern. They have great Spanish/ Portugese

38th between 5th and 6th is another good spanish place called Havana

Edited by whomper

There is also Frankie and Johnnies steak house on 37th strett between 5th and 6th..Great food . Pricey though

There is a great brick oven pizza place called Lazaros on the corner of 38th and 7th ave

Right on that same corner as Lazaros is the spanish Tavern. They have great Spanish/ Portugese

38th between 5th and 6th is another good spanish place called Havana

Didn't have time to post earlier, but checked my Blackberry, and saw your recommendation, Whomp. We felt like a great steak, and your call was perfect...phenomenal filet, and my counterpart had a Cajun-rubbed ribeye....outrageous. Great Bombay Saphire & tonic drinks beforehand, and a couple Amoretto's afterwards.....10:15, and I am fat, buzzed, and happy, overlooking the UN from my 20th floor suite balcony in Tudor City, looking at a lunar eclipse. Life is good.

You were right, it was indeed pricey....but worth it. And when we are spending $120M for one hotel, we can bake a $275 dinner into our soft costs fairly easily. :wacko:

Next trip up, Whomp, drinks are on me!

Didn't have time to post earlier, but checked my Blackberry, and saw your recommendation, Whomp. We felt like a great steak, and your call was perfect...phenomenal filet, and my counterpart had a Cajun-rubbed ribeye....outrageous. Great Bombay Saphire & tonic drinks beforehand, and a couple Amoretto's afterwards.....10:15, and I am fat, buzzed, and happy, overlooking the UN from my 20th floor suite balcony in Tudor City, looking at a lunar eclipse. Life is good.

You were right, it was indeed pricey....but worth it. And when we are spending $120M for one hotel, we can bake a $275 dinner into our soft costs fairly easily. :D

Next trip up, Whomp, drinks are on me!

:wacko: Glad I could help

Touring our new aquisition today, and need a solid spot for some dinner. We bought the old Interocntinental in Tudor City (2nd and E. 40th), and need a solid recommendation within the neighborhood (or an easy walk, if possible)

Was hoping to have some time for some Huddler interaction, but unfortunately all business this trip...heading back to Philly in the AM.

Thanks!!

Saw you already hit up Frankie & Johnies - glad you enjoyed.

Had I seen this earlier, also would have suggested L'Impero. It's a very good Italian joint and is actually in Tudor City.

Saw you already hit up Frankie & Johnies - glad you enjoyed.

Had I seen this earlier, also would have suggested L'Impero. It's a very good Italian joint and is actually in Tudor City.

Nice call...this spot was recommended to us by the GM of the hotel, since it was a quick walk from the hotel, but a classic NY steak joint was a must. We'll have a tough time not craving Frankie & Johnnies on our next visit.

Also found out after the fact that the original Smith & Wolensky's was just a few blocks (3rd & 49th, I believe) from us....may have to hit it up on a visit ust for the classic ambiance, though the one we went to in Miami was a tad overrated for the price.

Nice call...this spot was recommended to us by the GM of the hotel, since it was a quick walk from the hotel, but a classic NY steak joint was a must. We'll have a tough time not craving Frankie & Johnnies on our next visit.

Also found out after the fact that the original Smith & Wolensky's was just a few blocks (3rd & 49th, I believe) from us....may have to hit it up on a visit ust for the classic ambiance, though the one we went to in Miami was a tad overrated for the price.

My office is right across the street from Frankie and Johnnies. Every once in a while we go there for lunch. I love the ribeye. Frankie and Johnnies is a converted old NY townhouse that was owned by John Barrymore. They still have his original fireplace upstairs.

My office is right across the street from Frankie and Johnnies. Every once in a while we go there for lunch. I love the ribeye. Frankie and Johnnies is a converted old NY townhouse that was owned by John Barrymore. They still have his original fireplace upstairs.

We heard the Barrymore connection from our waiter....very cool place. The cajun ribeye was not on the menu, but recommended by our waiter....he caught a nice tip from us for this.

Hotel we boughtl is the Tudor Hotel, Whomp...on the corner of 2nd & 42nd, diagonal from Phizer's HQs, and a block from the UN. Needs some work, but a classic building. we plan on sinking about $15-18M into it, and taking it up a few notches. Should be a fun project.

I'll definitely be in touch on my next visit.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

We heard the Barrymore connection from our waiter....very cool place. The cajun ribeye I had was not on the menu, but recommended by our waiter....he caught a nice tip from us for this.

Hotel we boughtl is the Tudor Hotel, Whomp...on the corner of 2nd & 42nd, diagonal from Phizer's HQs, and a block from the UN. Needs some work, but a classic building. we plan on sinking about $15-18M into it, and taking it up a few notches. Should be a fun project.

I'll definitely be in touch on my next visit.

Sounds like an exciting project :wacko: and sure . Give me a heads up next time you are around and have some spare time . We can grab a bite and knock back a few for sure.

We are blessed with many fine steakhouses in the area. I also enjoy a fine steak at Keens and Wolfgangs.

Keens is a good place. Great crabcakes. I used to go there for drinks on fridays a lot. There a place called Staghorn on 36th and 9th I believe that I want to try soon. I walk past it a lot

Keens is a good place. Great crabcakes. I used to go there for drinks on fridays a lot. There a place called Staghorn on 36th and 9th I believe that I want to try soon. I walk past it a lot

I've actually been impressed with the crabcake at Morton's (and that says a lot coming from a Maryland guy). Maybe have to try it at Keens. They do have a good bar. Hit it up before events/games at MSG.

Ben and Jacks is another good spot that I haven't been to, but heard good things.

I've actually been impressed with the crabcake at Morton's (and that says a lot coming from a Maryland guy). Maybe have to try it at Keens. They do have a good bar. Hit it up before events/games at MSG.

Ben and Jacks is another good spot that I haven't been to, but heard good things.

The painting of Mrs Keens behind the bar is quite interesting