[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fishing Help

untateve

I've never been much of a fisherman. Did it a little as a kid, but that's really it. Did a little last summer with my boys, but basically just bought real cheap poles and the exact bait the guy told me to use when I was in tennessee.

So, my boys (age 11 and 8) are asking me to take them fishing. I live near the intercoastal and the ocean, so saltwater fishing is the plan. What basic gear do I need? What type of bait? What's the best time to fish? What other questions should I be asking?

I've never been much of a fisherman. Did it a little as a kid, but that's really it. Did a little last summer with my boys, but basically just bought real cheap poles and the exact bait the guy told me to use when I was in tennessee.

So, my boys (age 11 and 8) are asking me to take them fishing. I live near the intercoastal and the ocean, so saltwater fishing is the plan. What basic gear do I need? What type of bait? What's the best time to fish? What other questions should I be asking?

First of all, since you live in Florida, you not only have access to some awesome saltwater fishing but much of your inland lakes like Toho and Kissimmee offer up some of the best bass fishing in America. Spring time is also one of the best times of the year to catch large amounts of fish as well as the big uns. The best bites of the day are generally at first light and sunset, but finding the fish is always your biggest hurdle. Also, fishing with children should be all about them catching fish. My best advice would be to ask around and find a public/private fishing pond/lake that is stocked with bass, perch, crappie, catfish, etc...you shouldn't have any problem finding a bait/tackle store there that will sell you some minnows/worms. This gives you the best chance for you and your kids to catch some fish and really have a great time, and see if you are into it. As for rods/reels...you don't really need to invest a fortune as some of the spincasters made by Daiwa or Shakespeare work very well for the most part and are reasonably priced. I would take the time and invest in some quality 10 pound flurocarbon or braided line as this will increase your hookups and cut down on your back lash. With minnows/worms all you really need is bobbers, split shot weights, and hooks...plus a bucket to keep the minnows alive.

Hope this helps but feel free to PM me if you need any specific info.

First of all, since you live in Florida, you not only have access to some awesome saltwater fishing but much of your inland lakes like Toho and Kissimmee offer up some of the best bass fishing in America. Spring time is also one of the best times of the year to catch large amounts of fish as well as the big uns. The best bites of the day are generally at first light and sunset, but finding the fish is always your biggest hurdle. Also, fishing with children should be all about them catching fish. My best advice would be to ask around and find a public/private fishing pond/lake that is stocked with bass, perch, crappie, catfish, etc...you shouldn't have any problem finding a bait/tackle store there that will sell you some minnows/worms. This gives you the best chance for you and your kids to catch some fish and really have a great time, and see if you are into it. As for rods/reels...you don't really need to invest a fortune as some of the spincasters made by Daiwa or Shakespeare work very well for the most part and are reasonably priced. I would take the time and invest in some quality 10 pound flurocarbon or braided line as this will increase your hookups and cut down on your back lash. With minnows/worms all you really need is bobbers, split shot weights, and hooks...plus a bucket to keep the minnows alive.

Hope this helps but feel free to PM me if you need any specific info.

what she said

and pm if u need more advice... ive done sum fishen form peers and the sore in florida

If you want to do saltwater fishing and actually catch fish my advice would be to do a 4 hour charter. Should be able to find something reasonable.

If you aren't real familiar with saltwater fishing get a guide. After that, if you asked enough questions, you could figure it out from there. I am a very experienced fisherman and still often hire guides just for the convience. If you are going speckle trout/red fihing I'd use a spincast type reel...(the one with the reel underneath the rod) so that you don't "birdnest" in wind and buy a a popping cork and usually ask for live shrimp or croaker as bait. The guide might recommend against it and you should do what he recommends.

PM me any other questions.

Edited by SuperBalla

If saltwater, live shrimp with popping corks. Sit in the boat, let the shrimp do all the work. The kids get to watch the corks and wait.

You can catch a lot of trash fish but the goal with kids is to catch a lot, regardless of what it is ...

Good luck.