[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The next Ice Age

McBoog

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay moron, Blah, blah, blah...

I won't lower myself to the overt insult. Too easy. Let's just say that I have inspired you to hit Google and research for yourself. You also didn't read the links I posted since they were from BOTH sides of the argument. In the right place amd with the right technology, I think they are a godd thing. This whole sub-conversation of the thread came from YOU saying you had never heard that used as an argument. Until I showed you the light, you didn't bother to find out for yourself. You are arguing with yourself and it amuzes me. :wacko: Now, rather than clawing yourself out of the pit, just rub lotion on the body!

This house is clean now.

BTW - Is that 10MPH of internal axis rotation or rotation speed at the outer most length of the rotor? Sorry, over your head again. It is related to geometry and rotational speeds around a spinning disk. Interesting stuff if you like science and math.

I won't lower myself to the overt insult.

And yes Bushwhakko
And if that didn't work, maybe this is something more to your level of understanding... Everyone has to start someplace and move forward from there!
OK Goob!

Yup, youre way above stooping to insults. :wacko: I dont think even one of your condescending posts have failed to try and insult my intelligence. Of course, I chose not to even justify your jibes with a response since it is pretty clear to anyone following this thread who is backpedaling and changing his argument every other post.

Yup, youre way above stooping to insults. :wacko: I dont think even one of your condescending posts have failed to try and insult my intelligence. Of course, I chose not to even justify your jibes with a response since it is pretty clear to anyone following this thread who is backpedaling and changing his argument every other post.

That's McBook for ya. :D

Wind turbines are big business. I have a friend with a large ranch out near Abilene and they pay her something like $20,000 to lease an acre of land (one turbine requires a fenced in area of an acre) plus so much for what ever power is produced, which equates to about another $5,000 per year. So far she has 10 on her property netting her about $250,000 a year.

Wind turbines are big business. I have a friend with a large ranch out near Abilene and they pay her something like $20,000 to lease an acre of land (one turbine requires a fenced in area of an acre) plus so much for what ever power is produced, which equates to about another $5,000 per year. So far she has 10 on her property netting her about $250,000 a year.

is it windy there???

I'll second that emotion. One of my pals from law school specializes in this area of land/energy law. Its certainly an area of the law that is emerging quickly. I don't recall if the production of energy is providing a good rate of return for the energy companies, but land owners and construction firms building this stuff are doing well.

I'll second that emotion. One of my pals from law school specializes in this area of land/energy law. Its certainly an area of the law that is emerging quickly. I don't recall if the production of energy is providing a good rate of return for the energy companies, but land owners and construction firms building this stuff are doing well.

We don't have any in our neck of the woods, too woody and too hilly, but I see the blades all the time on tractor-trailors headed west about once or twice a week.

Yup. West Texas is (finally) good for something. :D:wacko:

There is some good hunting out there as well. We have a lease out there with Deer, Quail, Dove, Turkey. Every now and then you might even see a pheasant. Buy you are right, other than that there isn't much out there.

Hmmm, wonder if you could by an air easement from someone and sell the wind energy, kind of like mineral rights.

In Texas, probably. In Houston, at least, the rights to use, build, or occupy the air between buildings is a property right for which easements must be acquired. This arose because It's so freakin' hot there that people started building enclosed bridges between downtown buildings so you didn't have to go outside to cross into an adjacent building. That triggered an obvious property right issue that needed to be addressed, because the air in question was above a city street; not private land. (There is also an extremely complex and well developed undground "tunnel" system that is complete with stores, restaurants, etc.). So the concept of an "air easement" isn't all that crazy.

Edited by yo mama

In Texas, probably. In Houston, at least, the rights to use, build, or occupy the air between buildings is a property right for which easements must be acquired. This arose because It's so freakin' hot there that people started building enclosed bridges between downtown buildings so you didn't have to go outside to cross into an adjacent building. That triggered an obvious property right issue that needed to be addressed, because the air in question was above a city street; not private land. (There is also an extremely complex and well developed undground "tunnel" system that is complete with stores, restaurants, etc.). So the concept of an "air easement" isn't all that crazy.

Right, there are blanket easements in California for air traffic.

But for just as long, massive fiberglass blades on the more than 4,000 windmills have been chopping up tens of thousands of birds that fly into them, including golden eagles, red-tailed hawks, burrowing owls and other raptors...After years of study but little progress reducing bird kills, environmentalists have sued to force turbine owners to take tough corrective measures. The companies, at risk of federal prosecution, say they see the need to protect birds. "Once we finally realized that this issue was really serious, that we had to solve it to move forward, we got religion," says George Hardie, president of G3 Energy...The size of the annual body count — conservatively put at 4,700 birds — is unique to this sprawling, 50-square-mile site in the Diablo Mountains between San Francisco and the agricultural Central Valley because it spans an international migratory bird route regulated by the federal government.[/url]

Texas has a mind-boggling amount of unused land.

THis has been debunked earlier in the thread. These are 20 year old turbines that were placed very poorly. Lots more wildlife get killed in one oil spill than the entire life of a wind turbine.

more are killed buy cars/ cats and hail that that dip shiiiiiiiit

Holy crap, aren't you supposed to be some sort of teacher? No wonder the younger generation is so f'n illiterate.

Your point is correct (for once), but it doesn't change the fact that wind turbines are killing birds as well. And I'm not advocating that they be eliminated because of this. Perhaps shutting them off during peak migration times and/or removing them from areas inhabited by more endangered species would be a solution.