[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Laptop

ChuckB

Bought a Compaq Laptop today at Best Buy. 1gig ram, 120 gig hard drive and a Pentium dual core processor for $449.

My question is do I need more ram to run Vista properly? The people at Best Buy almost talked me out of it by trying to sell me upgrades, saying that it needed this or I should get that :wacko: It came with no anti-virus (well trial stuff) and no recovery discs if anything were to happen......Is this something I should be concerned with? Obviously I will need some protection for it, so what should I get? They mentioned web-root something and another one I don't remember.

So should I take this thing back or does it sound like I got a decent deal? And what do I need to add to it to protect it? Oh yeah, and should I buy their 1 yr protection for damage that I cause for $99?

Never buy the extended warranty on a purchase that small...ever. The warranty on this product is over 20% of the value of the laptop. Take the gamble.

I'm in the laptop shopping mode too. But I want XP Pro...not Vista. I'm currently looking at Dell. 1 gig should run Vista basic just fine.

Never buy the extended warranty on a purchase that small...ever. The warranty on this product is over 20% of the value of the laptop. Take the gamble.

I'm in the laptop shopping mode too. But I want XP Pro...not Vista. I'm currently looking at Dell. 1 gig should run Vista basic just fine.

I agree on the warranty. This one has Vista Hoe Premium though, is 1gig still enough?

Should be. Personally I'd want 2 gig...but 1 should suffice.

W/ Vista I'd go 2 gig. Very grafic OS and a resource vacuum. Not to mention all the crapware BB puts on it.

Chuck,

If you want to talk, I have unlimited minutes and can call you if you want. PM me your # and a good time to call. I just got finished setting up my new laptop, so the info is fresh. If you can get your $$$$ back 100%, Dell has some sweet systems at the same price w/ more ram, but I'd need to know your system's details, but if I remember correctly, BB charges a restock charge. No worries, I can help w/ your system, AV/SW s/w, and cleaning up all the demo s/w (CRAPWARE) that BB put on your system. Let me know.

rr26

If you have Comcast or some other major ISP, you may get it for free.

Comcast gives it's users McAfee for free.

McAfee is middle of the road or worse. Plus it's a nightmare to get rid of if you want to change later. You get what you pay for. My prefs:

Bitdefender

AVG

Kaspersky

Review..............

I talked to H8 about the differences between Pro and Home and he basically told me if i wasnt doing any server networking (or something like that) that XP Home would be fine

I talked to H8 about the differences between Pro and Home and he basically told me if i wasnt doing any server networking (or something like that) that XP Home would be fine

Nod. For a single user, i.e. no multiple permissions and a not being used as a server, Home is fine. Put the extra hondo into memory or your pocket.

Is AVG Free compatible with Vista? Someone asked me about this the other day and I didn't know.

I don't know either. H8 hooked me up with an XP machine. He loaded it with all the programs I needed too. :wacko:

AVAST

I use the above linked anti-virus software on my computers. It is FREE and works with VISTA! Oh, and it has a 5 star rating from CNet :wacko: