[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another poker hand for discussion

Big Country

This one from this past weekend.

NL Cash game. Blinds are $2/3. I am UTG+1. I have about 350 or so in front of me at this point.

I am dealt KQ of clubs and I amke it 15 to go.

Player to my left calls (he had been calling a lot and playing aggressive post flop, he has a very large stack, in the $700 range, but had been playing since the night before and was visibly getting tired)

Player to his left goes all in for a total of $24.

Player one off the button with a stack inthe $500 calls the $24. The blinds both fold.

I call the $9 extra as does the player to my right.

After rake is pulled, $96 in the pot.

Flop come QT7, two spades.

I decide I want to see where I am at with my Q and lead out for $75.

Player to my left folds.

Player across the table calls.

$150 in main pot now.

Turn is a red 4.

I check. Player across the table bets $80. I call the $80.

River is a red 3.

I check.

Player across the table hesitates, counts out, stacks and then counts out again and bets $120.

What do I do? What range of hands can he have?

I'm off to a lunch meeting, will be back in a couple hours to post what happened and see the feedback.

I don't play much but I like to watch :wacko:

Anyway, I think he was chasing maybe with AK or two spades and is now trying to buy the pot. This is assuming the 2 red cards and the unknown flop card are not all the same red suit. Of course he could have AQ but I think it's worth the $120 to see. I'm not good with the pot odds but I believe they are in your favor currently.

If my math is right, the side pot is now $430 (including his $120 bet), and there's a main pot with $96 in it, and you need to call another $120 to go to showdown.

He could easily have been chasing a flush draw or be holding J-K and be chasing an open ended straight draw - he probably wasn't getting good enough odds to call the $75 post-flop bet in either case, but you see worse than that all the time so no way we can rule out either of those holdings (unless he's holding J-K spades, in which case I'd expect a raise from position, so let's rule that one out). In fact, A-K spades probably was getting the right pot odds given the extra outs due to overcards. But the bet on the turn seems odd, you'd think he would take the free card there if he was on a draw.

So the bet on the turn bothers me a little,and the size of the river bet bothers me also, he's almost begging you to call there (although given the stack sizes, perhaps $120 is not that small a bet even given the size of the pot). Sort of an unusual betting pattern here as he called a bet for 75% of the pot after the flop, then when you checked the turn he made a very small bet, only about 30% of the combined main and side pots - again looks like maybe he was begging you to call. Plenty of hands he could hold that beat you and that might fit into his betting pattern - certainly AQ, TT or 77, choosing to prime the pot on the turn and risk the flush draw. QQ would have reraised pre-flop I think, and Q-10 is possible I guess from a loose player with position.

Ugh - I don't like it, but I think I make a reluctant and nervous call here...perhaps the kind of call that differentiates me from people who play the game much better than I do.

agree with E&D for the most part- I am already committed, so I make the reluctant call here.

I think he is sitting on AQ, TT, 77 or hoping for yer sake, he missed his flush/str8 draw

- either way just having flashbacks to when I get in this kinda mess too often playin KQ in EP :wacko:

Edited by wildcat2334

NL Cash game. Blinds are $2/3. I am UTG+1. I have about 350 or so in front of me at this point.

Player to my left calls (he had been calling a lot and playing aggressive post flop, he has a very large stack, in the $700 range, but had been playing since the night before and was visibly getting tired)

Player one off the button with a stack inthe $500 calls the $24. The blinds both fold.

Player to my left folds.

$150 in main pot now.

Turn is a red 4.

River is a red 3.

I check.

Player across the table hesitates, counts out, stacks and then counts out again and bets $120.

I'm off to a lunch meeting, will be back in a couple hours to post what happened and see the feedback.

I presume you meant to say as does the player on my LEFT (the $700 stack).

UTG: limps in $3

BC: raise to $15

BC + 1 ($700): calls $15

BC + 2: all in for $24

DLR - 1: calls $24

DLR: folds

SB: folds his $2

BB: folds his $3

UTG: folds his $3

BC +1: calls $9

BC: calls $9

4 players remain (1 all-in), $107 in the pot, $96 after a healthy rake

After board flops Q-T-7 (2 spades)

FTA (BC): bet $75

BC+1: folds

DLR - 1: calls

3 players remain (1 all-in)

Turn is a red 4

FTA (BC): check

DLR-1: bets $80

BC: calls

River is a red 3

FTA (BC): check

DLR-1: bets $120

BC: ?

Board looks like Q-T-7-4-3 with no flush draw.

Pre-flop his first chance to act was to call the all-in $24

He called your $75 after the flop

Took the lead on the turn, betting $80

Took the lead on the river, betting $120

My first thought is he has pocket 10s. He called $75 with trips and a potential straight draw on the board. I don't see him making the $24 + $75 call with 5-6 connectors before the turn/river as runner runner is required to hit the straight. The other possible hand I have him on his Q-10. It looks to me like he was content to call the $75 bet and when you showed weakness (checking the turn and river) he decided his trips or 2 pairs were the best hand.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I'd put the bettor on middle pair (Js or 9"s), or the nut flush draw. You didn't give any background info on the player, so its tough to analyze what he might be trying to do.

You may have been subject to a pair of 7's catching a set (hence his call/no-raise pre-flop), but I'd have a tough time putting him on this exact hand.

I'd be calling if I were you....$120 to call with $520 at stake....he may be hoping to just bet enough to push you off......though I'd be very concerned that since his move wasn't all-in, he was making a bet he hoped you'd call.

Player to my left folds.

$150 in main pot now.

Turn is a red 4.

River is a red 3.

I check.

Well, he's very agressive post flop, and tired. That's the info you felt was pertinant on his playing style. He called the decent size bet post flop, and then threw in a little bet after the turn. That screams something like A-10 or QJ to me, from that kind of player. Maybe he has you on AK and thought your flop bet was a continuation? Then the bet on the river, cause he assumes the 3 hasn't helped you any more than the 4 did.

I call here, expecting to see either A-10 or QJ, and execting to at least take the side.

Grits, I think your math is a little off. No limnper UTG.

SO 4*24=96 plus $5 in blinds is $101-$5 rake is $96

Anyway, my thought process, decision and end result.

When he did not raise me after my flop bet, I put him on a draw most likely. I felt that any two pair or set hand would reraise, possibly even push here to block any potential draw I could have been leading with, collect my $75 and get heads up against the all in player.

When the turn blanked, I checked (in retrospect, I think I should have led out for about $150 going with my read of him being on a draw), and he bet small. I stuck with my read that he was on a draw and not value betting and called (again, since I didn't lead here, I think perhaps a raise on my part could have been a legitimate play, but I would have had to push all in).

On the river, I check again, and he makes a small bet after a lot of deliberation. On the flop, I really felt that two pair or a set would have raised me, so I ruled those out. I also thought that while the line taken could be that of AQ, AQ was likely to have raised as well preflop to define where he was at, and I also think that AQ would be happy to check this board down as really there are no hands that he could beat that would likely call a river bet, so he would only get called by hands that beat him. The betting pattern just screamed busted draw to me. I went with the math (about 4-1) and my read and made a reluctant call.

He tapped the table, said nice call and showed J6 of spades for the busted flush draw.

The preflop all in guy mucked his hand so I raked in the whole pot.

He tapped the table, said nice call and showed J6 of spades for the busted flush draw.

The preflop all in guy mucked his hand so I raked in the whole pot.

:wacko: For once, I was right. Er, at least part of me was. :D

Edited by darin3