[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mom leaves kid in car...

Savage Beatings

Usually I would be sympathetic to calling the police in cases like this, but i don't know about this one... what do you think?

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/200...fd339496843.txt

Kinda ignorant waste of time if you ask me. I would get arrested every time I go to the gas station then.....get real people.

Another fine example of out of control spending by our elected officials. Hell, if he shopped around a bit, he could have saved a bundle.

I side with the mother if events unfolded as written in the article.

I've gone to a bank ATM with my sons. I'm about 10 yds away, the doors are locked and the car is turned off. I'm gone at most, a few minutes. Based on the article, I can see myself doing the same thing that the mother did. Of course, I don't really like my children all that much.

that is basically the law here in california: you can't leave your kid unattended in a car for any reason, for any length of time, no matter what. i understand the law's intent, but come on. to me, this law is supposed to guard against parents leaving their kids in extremely hot or cold conditions and putting them in danger. but it's not as if that was LEGAL before this law. it punishes the vast amount of common sense-using, law-abiding citizens for the idiocy of a few.

and, for the record, i've broken the law -- i've left my daughter in a shaded parking spot in 60-degree weather to go 20 feet away to grab my dry cleaning while the car was in my view the whole time.

The parent was wrong to leave her kid in the car. Its one thing if you're standing next to the car, like when you're filling it up with gas. But once you walk away from the car you've made a mistake. Not sure it should amount to a crime in this case, but the mom did screw up.

No way should she be arrested for this. It's nuts! Was that child in any danger? This is not leaving an infant in a car in Atlanta in July for 8+ hours. This is leaving a child in a warm, locked, alarmed car in the dead of winter for ten minutes tops. When you are not going out of sight of said car. This is a cop on a power trip with a predetermined outcome in mind.

and, for the record, i've broken the law -- i've left my daughter in a shaded parking spot in 60-degree weather to go 20 feet away to grab my dry cleaning while the car was in my view the whole time.

Police are on the way. Don't try to run, you'll only make things worse.

that is basically the law here in california: you can't leave your kid unattended in a car for any reason, for any length of time, no matter what. i understand the law's intent, but come on. to me, this law is supposed to guard against parents leaving their kids in extremely hot or cold conditions and putting them in danger. but it's not as if that was LEGAL before this law. it punishes the vast amount of common sense-using, law-abiding citizens for the idiocy of a few.

You have to use a little common sense in cases like this. Geez. I travelled to Minneapolis to work, went in the house for a second with the keys in the car and was tagged. I said where I live(small town on an island) everyone does it.

What a fricken joke. I always leave the kids in the car, lock it up and even use the auto start so they can listen to some tunes, get heat / air, etc.. Usually I'm out of the car a max of 2 minutes but that sounds like grounds for arrest by that cop.

Looks like the lefties are winning.

"Yet statistics show thousands of children are injured and dozens die every year after being left unattended near or inside vehicles."

I'd like to see the statistics for the number of children injured and killed in attended vehicles for comparison. Say... while driving.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the short moment of time that it takes for a parent to get from their front driver's side door, back to the child in the backseat could count as being long enough to fall within their definition of parental neglect. I mean if you can NEVER do it, then even for those couple of seconds, everyone should be prosecuted. Unless you crawl through the interior of your vehicle so that you can exit the car at the exact same time as your child.

The parent was wrong to leave her kid in the car. Its one thing if you're standing next to the car, like when you're filling it up with gas. But once you walk away from the car you've made a mistake. Not sure it should amount to a crime in this case, but the mom did screw up.

totally agree ..i have been guilty of it but knew i was wrong and would avoid doing now