[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is evil?

polksalet

Sexual urges towards your wife is not lust. Sex with your wife is permited by God and sex between spouses is a spiritual thing gifted to us by God. Lust, the way i have inturpreted it, is having sexual urges to other women that are not your wife. Looking at another woman and thinking that she is attractive is not lust. Looking at another woman and thinking what you would like to do to her is lust. Hey, i did not say I was not guilty, I am just saying that it is a Biblical evil.

well then, I guess I'm going to heaven.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try to separate what is evil and what is not from youre religious views... i know its hard and scary but try it ...

isnt man evil buy nature??

its not scary

dont necessarily believe Man is evil by nature ...but do believe its very easy to become evil while on earth

No. I never stated there is or is not a "truth". I stated that there is no "universally agreed upon" truth. There may be an absolute truth, but if it does exist, there are a myriad of interpretations of that truth based upon culture, society, religion, environment, and ton of other outside influences.

i guess my position would be that there IS an absolute (may as well say "divine") truth, which every man is at least capable of glimpsing. but that as soon as he tries to put that into terms he can relate to other men, it gets corrupted. when he tries to use it to coerce other men, it really gets corrupted. the translation of "truth" into a system of human mores is where it all becomes so context-driven.

I would classify as Old Testament ...which i do not have a problem with but as a Christian its not my doctrine and basis of faith and religion

let me say , Tsunami of a few years ago ...many hundreds of thousands people killed ...but in the Christian faith , we are not to sit there and blame God ..rather we say or should say " Bless those who died and made it to Heaven they are with their maker and all is great for them eternally " and Thank God for the time we had with those people

Glass should ( and its not easy ) always be half full ....not half empty

the end game is not here on earth ...at least not for those who believe

I've heard this statement before and have often wondered if a person proclaims to base their entire life and existence on the Bible, how can he/she selectively choose which portions to follow? If roughly half of the Bible is non-applicable, doesn't that bring into question the validity of the entire piece?

I've heard this statement before and have often wondered if a person proclaims to base their entire life and existence on the Bible, how can he/she selectively choose which portions to follow? If roughly half of the Bible is non-applicable, doesn't that bring into question the validity of the entire piece?

One would have to have an understanding of timing. The Old Testament is pre-christ. Fear of God's wrath ruled the day....because it was based solely on faith alone. Then God felt the need to have his presence felt on earth to give us more solid grounding to base our faith. Hence Jesus was our God on earth. Christ was real....and therefore...his scripture is more relevant as he was sent here to deliver a message and to save us from our previous sins. We now walk in the age of Peter's church. The word of Jesus rules the day....since God sent us this messenger....it is that messengers message which is most important.....unfortunately it is the message that is most often ignored by people like Polk...reverend haggard...you know...nutjobs.

One would have to have an understanding of timing. The Old Testament is pre-christ. Fear of God's wrath ruled the day....because it was based solely on faith alone. Then God felt the need to have his presence felt on earth to give us more solid grounding to base our faith. Hence Jesus was our God on earth. Christ was real....and therefore...his scripture is more relevant as he was sent here to deliver a message and to save us from our previous sins. We now walk in the age of Peter's church. The word of Jesus rules the day....since God sent us this messenger....it is that messengers message which is most important.....unfortunately it is the message that is most often ignored by people like Polk...reverend haggard...you know...nutjobs.

Well said ..and helped avoid me answering wirehairmen which I would not have minded doing ...and without malice

so 75 % or so of the planet is wrong and is not fallowing the messenger???

that is not a bad answer, but it is vulnerable to all sorts of attacks if you're differentiating between "jesus' scripture" and old scripture. that logic just doesn't hold up very well. my thought is that scripture (all of it) comes from the church. from men. scripture is useful, vital even, for comprehending "the way" as it came about and grew early in its history. but scripture, in my view, is NOT the "word of God", or any such thing. Jesus alone is the Word (logos) of God. Jesus alone is the canon of faith. the new testament is a collection of writings by early followers of jesus (none of whom imagined they were writing "the word of God"). some of the books were written within 20 or so years of jesus' crucifixion (the authentic letters of paul). some were not written until 100+ years later (2 peter, revelation). some were accepted as being very important writings for the christian faith almost immediately after they started to circulate. some were not widely accepted as "scripture" until the 3rd century. each book tells its own story, each story is different, and each should be evaluated separately (and continually, as more evidence comes to light over the centuries) in order to judge how true they are to the message of jesus.

so 75 % or so of the planet is wrong and is not fallowing the messenger???

Not a matter of wrong ( wrong means judgement which is not the basis for our faith ...we should not be judge and Jury ...not our job )

I wont say a Jew or Muslim can not see heaven ..i do not know that ...i do know what i beleive in and what i should do in order to see my Maker

I don't think I said that. I merely illustrated why the old testament doesn't really pertain anymore.

If the old testament is no longer relevant because Jesus brought a message, wouldn't Islam be even more appropriate since they believe in God (Allah), Jesus, and the even newer message that Muhammad brought?

To me, evil is doing something you know to be wrong. Good is doing something you know to be right.

What you know to be right or wrong is a matter of environment.

I agree. And having this right next to the pic in your avi was pure brilliance....

If the old testament is no longer relevant because Jesus brought a message, wouldn't Islam be even more appropriate since they believe in God (Allah), Jesus, and the even newer message that Muhammad brought?

Old testament is still relevant to the Jews , Koran is relevant to Muslims

i do not think any of those should be thrown away even if you do not beleive in eaither

Actually, there is a very close relationship between The Quaran and the Bible.