[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama address his faith and church

CaP'N GRuNGe

Obama's the great american story. No one is more pro america than he is.

From 2004-

Gratitude for Family Heritage

Tonight is a particular honor for me because — let’s face it — my presence on this stage is pretty unlikely. My father was a foreign student, born and raised in a small village in Kenya. He grew up herding goats, went to school in a tin-roof shack. His father — my grandfather — was a cook, a domestic servant to the British.

But my grandfather had larger dreams for his son. Through hard work and perseverance my father got a scholarship to study in a magical place, America, that shone as a beacon of freedom and opportunity to so many who had come before.

While studying here, my father met my mother. She was born in a town on the other side of the world, in Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs and farms through most of the Depression. The day after Pearl Harbor my grandfather signed up for duty; joined Patton’s army, marched across Europe.

Back home, my grandmother raised their baby and went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the G.I. Bill, bought a house through F.H.A., and later moved west all the way to Hawaii in search of opportunity.

And they, too, had big dreams for their daughter. A common dream, born of two continents.

My parents shared not only an improbable love, they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or ”blessed,” believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success.

They imagined me going to the best schools in the land, even though they weren’t rich, because in a generous America you don’t have to be rich to achieve your potential.

They are both passed away now. And yet, I know that, on this night, they look down on me with great pride.

I stand here today, grateful for the diversity of my heritage, aware that my parents’ dreams live on in my two precious daughters. I stand here knowing that my story is part of the larger American story, that I owe a debt to all of those who came before me, and that, in no other country on earth, is my story even possible.

Tonight, we gather to affirm the greatness of our nation — not because of the height of our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy.

Greatness of America

Our pride is based on a very simple premise, summed up in a declaration made over two hundred years ago: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

That is the true genius of America — a faith in simple dreams, an insistence on small miracles:

- That we can tuck in our children at night and know that they are fed and clothed and safe from harm.

- That we can say what we think, write what we think, without hearing a sudden knock on the door.

- That we can have an idea and start our own business without paying a bribe.

- That we can participate in the political process without fear of retribution, and that our votes will be counted at least, most of the time.

This year, in this election, we are called to reaffirm our values and our commitments, to hold them against a hard reality and see how we are measuring up, to the legacy of our forbearers, and the promise of future generations.

Edited by Randall

Yes that rhetorical jabber certainly has convinced me to vote for him. I can just hear people humming "America the Beautiful" in the background as he delivered this fluff.

:wacko:

PS although I agree he handled the right Rev Randy Watson's BS well.

Yes that rhetorical jabber certainly has convinced me to vote for him. I can just hear people humming "America the Beautiful" in the background as he delivered this fluff.

PS although I agree he handled the right Rev Randy Watson's BS well.

Anything can be called rhetorical jabber that isn't genuine. I don't think this applies, besides the Rev isn't him. We need to focus on what's important not what crazies support any candidate. McCain's got some pretty wacky mothers supporting him.

20 years of mentorship, spiritual guidance, inspiration, friendship, church membership and donations....and obama just now figured out the guy is a racist, anti-semite nutjob. :wacko:

I have nothing to add to this.

except maybe obama really was clueless with this rezko guy. :D

Edited by moneymakers

His preacher said some controversial stuff.

Bush visited Bob Jones, and the press was on him for weeks.

Hussein has been a steady parishioner, was married by, had his daughters baptized by a man who travels and honors the rabid jew hating louis farakhan, says America is run by the kkk, the gov't made AIDS to kill negros, that the gov't gives drugs to negros to kill them and that the USA deserved 9/11 becuase we are terrorists.

You might want to get a little more information before coming across so stupid.

Anything can be called rhetorical jabber that isn't genuine.
Rhetorical jabber isn't inherently true or false. What it is, however, is meaningless regarding the candidates' plans on the issues which face the next president and their socio-political viewpoints overall, which is what the candidates SHOULD be talking about. I'm going out on a limb and suggesting his break-out-the-violin family history and "2 cars in every garage" bit he spewed here don't qualify.

We need to focus on what's important not what crazies support any candidate.
Generally I agree, but there's something to be said for how the candidates feel about the "crazies" supporting them. And I have to question whether Obama just now found out what a racist loon his Reverend is or if this is presidential CYA.

Hussein has been a steady parishioner, was married by, had his daughters baptized by a man who travels and honors the rabid jew hating louis farakhan, says America is run by the kkk, the gov't made AIDS to kill negros, that the gov't gives drugs to negros to kill them and that the USA deserved 9/11 becuase we are terrorists.
Are you saying a black man is racist? A Reverend no less? LOL - where are you from, Tibet? Every American knows blacks can't be racist, you racist. Everything he says therefore must be true. Heck I can't believe he forgot the nation-wide conspiracy between all cops, lawyers and judges to put as many black men as possible behind bars. That's why there are so many in jail - not because they had stuff like evidence or proof. Duh.

in other words: he good!

Edited by BeeR

I didn't know some of the specifics of the rev's babblings till a bit ago. He's so lame he's camp......but it'd be a helluva lot fuinnier if not for the sad fact that despite how blatantly racist (and therefore hypocritical) and laughably wrong (eg comparing the A-bombs dropped on Japan to terrorism) he is, a lot of people - not just blacks, but the ever-brilliant white guilt morons too - will defend him, just like a lot of blacks defended (or at least were apologists for) Vick.

Perhaps stupidest of all is the idea that being black hurts Obama. lol - yeah that's why he's the leading candidate :wacko: In fact if he was white I seriously doubt he'd even be in the running.

PS Rev: I know it'll come as a shock, but there are a LOT of blacks in America today who never were poor, and many never even called the "n word."

I didn't know some of the specifics of the rev's babblings till a bit ago. He's so lame he's camp......but it'd be a helluva lot fuinnier if not for the sad fact that despite how blatantly racist (and therefore hypocritical) and laughably wrong (eg comparing the A-bombs dropped on Japan to terrorism) he is, a lot of people - not just blacks, but the ever-brilliant white guilt morons too - will defend him, just like a lot of blacks defended (or at least were apologists for) Vick.

Perhaps stupidest of all is the idea that being black hurts Obama. lol - yeah that's why he's the leading candidate :wacko: In fact if he was white I seriously doubt he'd even be in the running.

PS Rev: I know it'll come as a shock, but there are a LOT of blacks in America today who never were poor, and many never even called the "n word."

If Obama was white he may be JFK. His message of unity is one people are attracted to in my opinion. Our country has been at odds since what Reagan. Imagine what we coud accomplish if we were together.

Look at what we did during WW2. Our country has an innate ability to do almost anything when we are united. What someone's preacher says is such a non story.

He won't bring us all together but will try and that is more than we've had for a long time. If we are going to be competetive in the world markets we should invest in our country not play nation builders in the middle east.

---

Rhetorical jabber isn't inherently true or false. What it is, however, is meaningless regarding the candidates' plans on the issues which face the next president and their socio-political viewpoints overall, which is what the candidates SHOULD be talking about. I'm going out on a limb and suggesting his break-out-the-violin family history and "2 cars in every garage" bit he spewed here don't qualify.

We're living in a sound bite mass media world. They don't want detail most of the time. Speeches rarely get into ideology. It's more about personality. I wish we would have coverage on issues, hopefully we will when the general election starts.

I posted his speech to show his feeling on this country. It was from 04 and counters what his preacher said. There were no violins. It's a rags to riches american story. In how many countries would his story be possible?

His message of unity is one people are attracted to in my opinion. Our country has been at odds since what Reagan. Imagine what we coud accomplish if we were together.

Look at what we did during WW2.

An extreme (and extremely rare) example which hasn't applied since, regardless who was president, with the ever-so-brief exception of Bush RIGHT after 9/11 (a unity which quickly fell apart, and yes he is largely to blame). As for Obama's "messsage of unity," again it's not only rhetorical nothingness, but it's hardly new - every politician who's come down the pike has "preached" unity. I don't think preaching division would gain much popularity. It's like flag waving and every other flowery speech which talks a lot and says nothing.

What someone's preacher says is such a non story.
Except when that "someone" has the inside track to be the next president, not to mention what the preacher said and that someone's reaction to it, as it's telling of the candidate. If Obama agreed with everything that circus clown said, would it still be a non-story?

PS and oh btw: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23634881

First "The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation"....

er then "Obama wrote that he had known of similar statements by Wright over the years, which he strongly condemned..."

So he's not only caught in a lie (one way or other) but if the 2d is true, he continued not just to attend this church but also his close association with a preacher who is a flaming racist and thinks the U.S. didn't just cause but deserved 9/11. (etc etc)

We're living in a sound bite mass media world. They don't want detail most of the time. Speeches rarely get into ideology. It's more about personality. I wish we would have coverage on issues, hopefully we will when the general election starts.
We will "sort of" - ie they will toucn on the issues, but I suspect all involved will, again, be long on blah-blah-blah and short on specifics of how they plan to address this or that. This is what turned me away from Kerry...he talked a lot and didn't say a damn thing.

I posted his speech to show his feeling on this country. It was from 04 and counters what his preacher said.
Fair enough, although I don't think it counters the rev as much as you think it does. Edited by BeeR

You are aware that Japan had surrendered before we dropped the bombs....we had plenty of time to call them back....in essence it could be looked at as an act of terrorism....cause it was meaningless killing.

You are aware that Japan had surrendered before we dropped the bombs....we had plenty of time to call them back....in essence it could be looked at as an act of terrorism....cause it was meaningless killing.

:wacko: You're off your rocker with that statement. Link please.

TIA.