[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

March Madness Surprises .....

theprofessor

In the East ....

Even though Butler is tourney tested I think that South Alabama has the inside game and could give Butler trouble on the boards and pull this upset off. They are playing in their backyard which will help and if Butler's dynamic backcourt duo struggle from the arc the Jaguars could pull off the upset.

Though the seedings don't show it I think Notre Dame will be the favorite when they take on WSU in the 2nd round but I see the Cougars stifling the Irish with their great defensive play and pulling out a close victory 59-56.

In the Midwest ....

Davidson rides the sweet shooting touch of Mr. Curry and a 22 game winning streak to upset Gonzaga in another "home" win down the road in Raleigh.

In a couple upsets in the 2nd round I think USC has too much talent for Wisconsin and Floyd solves Ryans swing offense as the Trojans beat the Badgers in a close one. I also see a mild upset as Clemson beats #4 seed Vanderbilt as the Tigers arrive at the Sweet 16.

In the South ....

In a mild upset the Ducks from Oregon knock off Mississippi State Taylor, Leunen, Porter and Hariston all have been here before and that could be the difference in this one. Look for Porter to put the game away in the 2nd half with an array of 3 pointers and penetration "draws" for easy buckets.

The Temple Owls continue the pattern of a #12 seed beating a #5 seed as they shut down Neitzel and beat the Spartans. MSU has one of the best coaches in the business in Izzo but the Spartans have been very inconsistent and get a team that is playing with a lot of confidence right now.

In a potential 2nd round battle I look for Marquette to battle Stanford's Twin Towers and upset them with their outstanding guard play.

In the West ....

I like Georgia to continue their hot hand as they upset the #3 seed, Xavier.

I'm also liking West Virginia to knock off Duke in the 2nd round as the Devils have no answer for Alexander.

East: St. Joseph's over Oklahoma. S.Alabama over Butler.

South: Oregon over Mississippi St. However, there will be some scares. Austin Peay will give Texas a game, and Cornell will make things difficult for Stanford.

West: Upset central. Georgia over Xavier. San Diego over Connecticut. Baylor over Purdue. Arizona over West Virginia. Texas A&M over BYU.

Midwest: Davidson over Gonzaga. Kent St. over UNLV.

have been too busy to analyze too deeply thus far, however

as a general rule of thumb I think I will be laying chalk this year and going with the teams tested in the tougher, deeper conferences, meaning

I will be betting against the SEC and Big 10 - and everyone from the Big 12 besides KU and Texas.....

I think by and large the Pac 10 and Big East will do some damage and show their strength

I'm having a hard time picking against any of the teams which have looked strong all year long, basically the top 7-8. And its hard not to have 3 or 4 #1 seeds in the final 4. I think Memphis is the most likely not to make it, but pick somebody over UNC, UCLA or Kansas? I have USC losing to Kansas in a close one, but that's about it.

I'm having a hard time picking against any of the teams which have looked strong all year long, basically the top 7-8. And its hard not to have 3 or 4 #1 seeds in the final 4. I think Memphis is the most likely not to make it, but pick somebody over UNC, UCLA or Kansas? I have USC losing to Kansas in a close one, but that's about it.

All 4 #1s have never made it. Only once did it work out to 3 #1s and a #2. Total your F4 seeds to equal 10 or less. :wacko:

I'm with you. I have 3 #1 seeds and a #2. But due to the history of the tournament, I don't want 3 #1s in the Final Four, but It's difficult to eliminate one of them.

But more than 5 :D

I think I read something that said only three times since 1979 or whenever they started the seeding format has the sum of the seeds for the F4 gone over 10.

And the lowest possible is 4....so yeah, more than 5. :wacko:

I think I read something that said only three times since 1979 or whenever they started the seeding format has the sum of the seeds for the F4 gone over 10.

And the lowest possible is 4....so yeah, more than 5. :wacko:

In 2006 George Mason made it as an 11, in 1985 Nova was an 8, and in 1986 LSU was an 11.

So are you saying I'm wrong?

Whoa! I'll say I'm wrong. Change that number from 10 to 12, and I'm way more right! 7 years had final four seed totals of 11 or 12. That leaves 6 in 29 years with totals greater than 12.

2006 = 20, 2000 = 22, 1992 = 13, 1986 = 14, 1980 = 21, 1979 = 14

A couple years ago I took Northwestern St. to be Iowa which I believe was a 14 over a 3, not sure I did much last year.

Here's a couple I have.

Siena over Vandy

WKU over Drake (not much of an upset IMO)

And that's it. Pretty pathetic this year.