[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gardeners Corner

Atlanta Cracker

Since a lot of threads lately have had offshoots relating to gardening as spring approaches I figured we could combine thoughts in one place for everyone to ask questions and share advice.

I'll start with a question and a suggestion.

I planted about 100 daffodil bulbs 2 years ago that I got from Wal-mart in my front bed amongst daylillies. They all came up last year and looked awesome. This year only about 20 came up and none of them had as many blooms as last year. Any thoughts on what might have happened? We were in a drought but I thought Daff bulbs could/should withstand that. I did let the foilage ripen so that wasn't the problem either.

My favorite plant for the landscape is by far the daylilly. They are tough as nails and you can get varieties that bloom all summer long - Stella D'Oro, Happy Returns, and Pardon me are ones I've had success with.

Since a lot of threads lately have had offshoots relating to gardening as spring approaches I figured we could combine thoughts in one place for everyone to ask questions and share advice.

I planted about 100 daffodil bulbs 2 years ago that I got from Wal-mart in my front bed amongst daylillies. They all came up last year and looked awesome. This year only about 20 came up and none of them had as many blooms as last year. Any thoughts on what might have happened? We were in a drought but I thought Daff bulbs could/should withstand that. I did let the foilage ripen so that wasn't the problem either.

My favorite plant for the landscape is by far the daylilly. They are tough as nails and you can get varieties that bloom all summer long - Stella D'Oro, Happy Returns, and Pardon me are ones I've had success with.

You're right about daylillies. Very easy to grow, not tempermental, and flower well.

As for the daffodils, it's hard to say. The drought could have contributed, as the bulbs store nutrients to prepare to flower the next season. Did you let the foliage turn completely brown before cleaning them up?

Could the lilies have choked them out? What about moles / voles eating the bulbs?

moles don't eat bulbs.

Sometimes voles will run through the tunnels that moles create that have exposed bulbs. But moles eat worms, grubs, and insects.

We don't grow day lilies because they're deer magnets and we've got enough troubles with them as it is. daffodils, on the other hand, they hate, so we plant a ton of them, especially around our tulips to keep the deer from coming after them. None the less, ours go off every single year and we've had droughts as well. Not exactly sure what to tell you aside from making sure the foliage totally dies before you cut them back.

Couple thoughts...

I hear squirrels will eat bulbs if they can dig them up (planted too shallow), but usually not daffodils.

Were they naturalizing bulbs? Naturalizing will come back in ever greater bunches... There are non-naturalizing kinds that will not.

Over watering (aka: killing with kindness) will make them rot in the soil and you'd never know it.

Or as my mother always said to me as I planted new ones for her every year. "Sometimes they just die and don't come back."

ETA: Also, I assume you bought the correct variety for your zone. Also, they need sun to store energy for next year. Hopefully they are not in a shady spot.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

We don't grow day lilies because they're deer magnets and we've got enough troubles with them as it is.

Grow day lillies, attract deer, shoot deer, eat deer. . .

I take it back. . .growing flowers is a GREAT idea!!

Go dig around and see what you find. If they're gone, somebody stole them. If they're just sitting there give them a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick and tell them to get back to work. If none of the above then mom is right.

I planted about 100 daffodil bulbs 2 years ago that I got from Wal-mart in my front bed amongst daylillies. They all came up last year and looked awesome. This year only about 20 came up and none of them had as many blooms as last year. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

You went straight?

You went straight?

He was ghey??? :wacko:

:D AC is arguably one of the coolest cats here...we shared a hotel room during the Band of Huddlers/Katrina stint...figured I'd mess with him. Nice set-up. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

On addition to what Irish Doggie said,

Next time you plant them, put bone meal in the hole with them. It feeds bulb plants. There are bulb fertilyzers as well. :wacko:

Also, make certain to allow the green parts to stay around as long as possible.

Third, is it possible you didn't take into account the light conditions? THe first year they will look great, because they have stored energy, but are unable to get so much for the following year. Those will look sickly, and not flower.

Well I did let the leaves ripen to completely brown/dead and I fertilized upon planting 2 years ago - again the blooms were great last year. The ones that did come up bloomed pretty well too. The only two things mentioned that I don't know for sure are the possibility that the daylillies choked them out and them not being naturalizing. I doubt the daylilies are the problem as their roots are more shallow and I'd spaced them in between. I bought the bulbs at Wal-mart so they very well could be a problem with them "naturalizing." Still curious that some came back and others didn't. I'll do some further reasearch on this.

I found a place in Georgia that sells bulbs they raise so I think I'll give that a go this fall.

I planted about 5 perrinials last year in a spot in front of my house. I put mulch around these plants. If I clear out the mulch and lay down that black tarp looking thing that is supposed to kill weeds around all of my plants (I assume I will have to cut holes or slits for the plants to go through) then I put mulch over it, will it work or is that something I needed to do when I planted ?

I planted about 5 perrinials last year in a spot in front of my house. I put mulch around these plants. If I clear out the mulch and lay down that black tarp looking thing that is supposed to kill weeds around all of my plants (I assume I will have to cut holes or slits for the plants to go through) then I put mulch over it, will it work or is that something I needed to do when I planted ?

I HATE with a passion those Josh Gordon barriers. DO NOT use them. Edging the bed every year and putting down fresh mulch will keep the weeds out just fine.

You can still do it now. I know some people that love them and others that hate them.

Another suggestion that I have heard but haven't tried (but will this year with annuals) is wetting and layering newspaper 3 sheets thick in/around the plants and covering with mulch.

I HATE with a passion those Josh Gordon barriers. DO NOT use them. Edging the bed every year and putting down fresh mulch will keep the weeds out just fine.

Last year the weeds were popping through the mulch..Why do you hate the barriers ?

+1. They're a freaking pain in the ass. Trench and mulch works just fine. Also, most of your weeds are going to come from seeds landing in the soil. Once you put dirt on top of those barriers, those same seeds can simply germinate on top of them so they've done nothing for you.

If you're not going OG, just sprinkle some preen on twice a year in addition to your trench and mulch schedule and you'll be straight.

Edit to give more specific reasons for Whomp. If they're covered enough so that they don't show or get pulled up when you rake mulch around or work in the yard, then the seeds will just germinate on top anyway. If not, then all the problems I just mentioned happen. Mostly, however, they're just not that effective so not worth the bother.

Edited by detlef

+1. They're a freaking pain in the ass. Trench and mulch works just fine. Also, most of your weeds are going to come from seeds landing in the soil. Once you put dirt on top of those barriers, those same seeds can simply germinate on top of them so they've done nothing for you.

If you're not going OG, just sprinkle some preen on twice a year in addition to your trench and mulch schedule and you'll be straight.

Edit to give more specific reasons for Whomp. If they're covered enough so that they don't show or get pulled up when you rake mulch around or work in the yard, then the seeds will just germinate on top anyway. If not, then all the problems I just mentioned happen. Mostly, however, they're just not that effective so not worth the bother.

Is preen harmful to the flowers ? Can I clear out the spot , put preen around all of the flowers that are in already then put mulch over it ? Will that do the trick ?

Is preen harmful to the flowers ? Can I clear out the spot , put preen around all of the flowers that are in already then put mulch over it ? Will that do the trick ?

Preen only stops seeds from germinating. It is not round-up and will not kill existing plants (though you're certainly supposed to avoid getting it on the leaves or flowers and just sprinkle it on the soil). To be honest, I'd rather not use it because I'd like to go 100% organic but I compromise because my wife wants to use it.