[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How diverse is your taste in music?

Ziachild007

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person all over the map.....

Patsy Cline

Hank Williams (The original)

Jimi Hendrix

Gato Barbari

John Mayer

Joss Stone

Boz Scaggs

AC/DC

Tower of Power

Sly and the Family Stone

James Brown

Marvin Gaye

Stones

Santana

Weezer

Black Sabbeth

Amy Winehouse

Chris Botti

Sting

Diana Krall

Dr John

Led Zepplin

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Van Halen

War

And on and on and on....

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for broad tastes, like Zia: almost anything but twangy (old school) country and gangsta rap. Not in the mood for classical too often, but even that is ok too.

From Led Zeppelin to Incubus, from AC/DC to John Mayer - mostly 60-80's rock, from 70's to today's pop, alternative/punk rock and new country - but its all good...

BTW JoJo - 'Gato Barbari' is the only name in this thread that I've never heard of - some kind of cat ref?

Edited by Coffeeman

I like alot of this stuff. Throw in bands like the Doors, the Who, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Metallica

Disturbed

Pink Floyd

Jimi Hendrix

Motley Crue

Wu-Tang Clan

Prince

The Roots

Rush

Foo Fighters

Nirvana

Bush

Beethoven

Mozart

Alice in Chains

P.O.D.

Prodigy

Rage Against the Machine

Janis Joplin

ZZ Top

Aerosmith

Hank Williams Jr.

Otis Redding

Ray Charles

Chuck Berry

Charlie Daniels

Conway Twitty

Iron Butterfly

Willie Nelson

Black Crowes

Patsy Cline

Alice in Chains

Blind Melon

Blues Traveller

Boston

Counting Crows

Creed

Dave Mathews

Def Leppard

Dido

Edwin McCain

Elton John

Fleetwood Mac

Green Day

Hall and Oates

James Taylor

Jonny Cash

LeAnn Rhimes

Nickelback

Pearl Jam

Puddle of Mudd

Sarah McGlaughlin

Simon and Garfunkel

Steely Dan

The Beatles

The Cranberries

The Police

The Who

Tori Amos

U2

Hank Williams (The original)

Jimi Hendrix

Josh Stone

Boz Scaggs

Sly and the Family Stone

James Brown

Marvin Gaye

Stones

Santana

Black Sabbeth

Amy Winehouse

Sting

Led Zepplin

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Van Halen

War

Yep, I have all of these on there too. JoJo, was that supposed to be Joss Stone? I :heart: her, but have never heard of a Josh Stone. :wacko:

Another vote for broad tastes, like Zia: almost anything but twangy (old school) country and gangsta rap. Not in the mood for classical too often, but even that is ok too.

From Led Zeppelin to Incubus, from AC/DC to John Mayer - mostly 60-80's rock, from 70's to today's pop, alternative/punk rock and new country - but its all good...

BTW JoJo - 'Gato Barbari' is the only name in this thread that I've never heard of - some kind of cat ref?

As far as the country goes, I alctually like a lot of the older stuff (from Hank Snow, Earnest Tubb up to about Tim MCGraw, Garth Brooks) more than the newer stuff. Just about most of todays country sounds like the same guy, with the exception of a few guys (Brad Paisley, Dirks Bentley). I also like a lot of Texas Country (Kevin Fowler, Roger Creager, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Reckless Kelly).

I only listen to new country.

:wacko::D:D

The funniest huddler never disappoints!

Back on topic - I literally like every style of music as long as it's original and interesting. Lately I've really been digging on:

Animal Collective (Sung Tongs is my favorite album) and Midlake (Bamnan and Silvercork is a great album).

She insisted that most people probably have 2-3 genres of music they listen to, .........

Not sure how it would be possible to limit ones music tastes to just 2-3 genres. Would be completely impossible for me. You name it I have it. Well, everything except rap. I could list but then not everyone has all day to go down a list of artists or types of music. LOL Suffice it to say... except for rap, every genre known to man is represented in my collection. And I listen to it all.

Not sure how it would be possible to limit ones music tastes to just 2-3 genres. Would be completely impossible for me. You name it I have it. Well, everything except rap. I could list but then not everyone has all day to go down a list of artists or types of music. LOL Suffice it to say... except for rap, every genre known to man is represented in my collection. And I listen to it all.

tuvan throat singing?

yeah rap is horrible....I do listen to certain elements of hip-hop which isn't bad at all but I HIGHLY doubt it's targeted at more than 3% of the current Tailgate members...

but there is a difference between the two...trust me..even though I only listen to a select few artists in hip-hop...they do show that good music can be produced in this genre..

tuvan throat singing?

Probably. Ry Cooder encompasses throat singing in some of his blues songs....and T Bone Walker used Paul Pena for vocals with his band. Plus I have a lot of real early (1930's) country that used throat singing instead of yodeling (the American version of throat singing). Can I count Bobby McFerrin?

Probably. Ry Cooder encompasses throat singing in some of his blues songs....and T Bone Walker used Paul Pena for vocals with his band. Plus I have a lot of real early (1930's) country that used throat singing instead of yodeling (the American version of throat singing). Can I count Bobby McFerrin?

I think paul pena gets you the check mark, not bad.

ok how about shona mbira music? :wacko:

ok how about shona mbira music? :wacko:

I do have an Earth Wind & Fire LP that I haven't converted to digital yet. That should count.... though it is not specifically shona mbira they do utilize some of the instruments. As for actual, go for it, specific .... no.

I do have an Earth Wind & Fire LP that I haven't converted to digital yet. That should count.... though it is not specifically shona mbira they do utilize some of the instruments. As for actual, go for it, specific .... no.

well damn, you're right...a quick google check reveals maurice white played mbira on several EW&F albums. maybe you DO own something from every genre known to man (exceot rap). :wacko:

well damn, you're right...a quick google check reveals maurice white played mbira on several EW&F albums. maybe you DO own something from every genre known to man (except rap). :wacko:

LOL I have always had a very wide diversity in my musical tastes. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have from Peru and India. :D

And I guess I do have a rap song. Only one though. The first recognized rap song.

80s Hair Bands? :wacko:

I don't have the attention span to read through this whole thread, but I would bet a significant sum that I have one of the more diverse musical tastes here. Have you heard of DJ Magic Mike? Spineshank? Cowboymouth? Allergic? Didn't think so. :wacko:

I don't have the attention span to read through this whole thread, but I would bet a significant sum that I have one of the more diverse musical tastes here. Have you heard of DJ Magic Mike? Spineshank? Cowboymouth? Allergic? Didn't think so. :wacko:

Ooooo, so you like OBSCURE stuff. Of course, I can name all sorts of obscure metal bands nobody has ever heard of (Savage Thrust? Wargasm? Wehrmacht? Tankard?) or an obscure composer (Ligeti?) or other under-the-radar stuff (Yat-Kha? Sage Francis? Juiceboxxx? To My Surprise? Echobrain?) and we can have a pissing match about it.

Obscurity doesn't indicate anything in and of itself.

Edited by Chavez

Ooooo, so you like OBSCURE stuff. Of course, I can name all sorts of obscure metal bands nobody has ever heard of (Savage Thrust? Wargasm? Wehrmacht? Tankard?) or an obscure composer (Ligeti?) or other under-the-radar stuff (Yat-Kha? Sage Francis? Juiceboxxx? To My Surprise? Echobrain?) and we can have a pissing match about it.

:wacko: Huh?

Oh I'm sure that you, and everyone else, could come up with names that I have never heard of. Wouldn't be hard at all. Especially if the name was after about 1990. But that isn't what I offer.... even though I could come up with about 100 names you never heard of.... what I offer is different genres.

But it's cool, I'm not here to compete.... you win.

It's people like darin3 that ruin this darn board.