[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones

Randall

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I remember about Forte he couldn't block, which is the big obstacle for most rookie backs. KJ is a very good blocker and if the reports of his health are accurate, he will play a lot. This sucks, I was counting on the rookie backs, looks like I will have to tweek my game plan.

It says here that Forte holds off Jones for the starting spot & Jones becomes insurance/spot player. The real bonus is that Forte is going to slide down the draft tables.

KJ wins the starting job by the end of pre-season. You heard it here first. :wacko:

:D

I will be flat out stunned if Forte starts more than three games this season. Jones is a better blocker, holds onto the rock, catches the ball well, falls forward, and oh yeah, he's the more talented runner as well. If he gets his burst back, Forte will be the highest drafted #3 RB in fantasy football this season.

I will be flat out stunned if Forte starts more than three games this season. Jones is a better blocker, holds onto the rock, catches the ball well, falls forward, and oh yeah, he's the more talented runner as well. If he gets his burst back, Forte will be the highest drafted #3 RB in fantasy football this season.

Prepared to be stunned.

Riddle me this, Batman. If CHI does see Jones as its best RB and starter for the season, why would they pay him the vet minimum in a one year contract with no incentives? And if Jones sees himself as the starter,why would he accept that kind of contract? Jones is doing nothing more than keeping his career alive, hoping to get enough work to create value for himself for next year as a FA.

It would surprise me a hell of a lot more to see him displace Forte as the starter for any appreciable time barring injury than to see him start the season on the PUP list, which is a very real possibility.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Prepared to be stunned.

Riddle me this, Batman. If CHI does see Jones as its best RB and starter for the season, why would they pay him the vet minimum in a one year contract with no incentives? And if Jones sees himself as the starter,why would he accept that kind of contract? Jones is doing nothing more than keeping his career alive, hoping to get enough work to create value for himself for next year as a FA.

It would surprise me a hell of a lot more to see him displace Forte as the starter for any appreciable time barring injury than to see him start the season on the PUP list, which is a very real possibility.

This is very good prognostication based on the contract and a very informative post. This makes a lot of sense :wacko:

Prepared to be stunned.

Keep up the talk, maybe I'll get him for $2 this season. :wacko:

He's had 27 TD's and 11 Fumbles total the last 4 years. In leagues that reward high for TD's hes money. Career 4 ypc behind a crappy Detroit line aint too bad either, IMO. He's a total value pick.

Edited by DemonKnight

Keep up the talk, maybe I'll get him for $2 this season. :wacko:

He's had 108 TD's and 11 Fumbles total the last 4 years. In leagues that reward high for TD's hes money. Career 4 ypc behind a crappy Detroit line aint too bad either, IMO. He's a total value pick.

I see you ignored the questions...

How is it that given the body of work that you are describing and is readily available to every one of the NFL execs, that this wonderful fountain of RB ability could garner nothing more than a one year deal at the vet minimum with no incentives whatsoever?

There are no teams in the NFL that would even venture to risk $1M on Jones, or to risk an optional second year in the contract, or to give him a few small incentives that he could easily reach to enhance his pay; and further that Jones wouldn't at least demand some kind of potential additonal compensation in the form of incentives - even ones that would be difficult to reach - if he did prove to be a valuable component of any NFL team by his play in the coming season, if he saw himself as being capable of performing as a #1 RB?

So you expect performance that no other NFL exces expect, and in fact that Jones and his own agent don't expect?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Keep up the talk, maybe I'll get him for $2 this season. :D

He's had 108 TD's and 11 Fumbles total the last 4 years. In leagues that reward high for TD's hes money. Career 4 ypc behind a crappy Detroit line aint too bad either, IMO. He's a total value pick.

:wacko:

I see you ignored the questions...

How is it that given the body of work that you are describing and is readily available to every one of the NFL execs, that this wonderful fountain of RB ability could garner nothing more than a one year deal at the vet minimum with no incentives whatsoever?

There are no teams in the NFL that would even venture to risk $1M on Jones, or to risk an optional second year in the contract, or to give him a few small incentives that he could easily reach to enhance his pay; and further that Jones wouldn't at least demand some kind of potential additonal compensation in the form of incentives - even ones that would be difficult to reach - if he did prove to be a valuable component of any NFL team by his play in the coming season, if he saw himself as being capable of performing as a #1 RB?

So you expect performance that no other NFL exces expect, and in fact that Jones and his own agent don't expect?

Sorry, dont like guessing value using contract as a variable. What if you had done this with Randy Moss? Corey Dillon? or on the other side of the coin, Reggie Bush?

There are still a handful of quality backs without contracts. If Jones could not get more than the vet minimum, should he say "screw you all" and not play? He signed for that much because he knows there is a terrible market for RB's and he had no other choice, whether or not he thinks of himself as a starter. Absolutely irrelevant. The market dictates the value, not the agents.

There are still a handful of quality backs without contracts. If Jones could not get more than the vet minimum, should he say "screw you all" and not play? He signed for that much because he knows there is a terrible market for RB's and he had no other choice, whether or not he thinks of himself as a starter. Absolutely irrelevant. The market dictates the value, not the agents.

No, he should wait until a RB gets hurt - and several will get hurt this year. That gets him some leverage

Or he could at least get incentives written in. Say an extra $1M if he rushes for 2,000 yds/$500K if he rsuhes for 1500 yds/$250K if he rushes for 1000 yds. See, it's not that difficult, is it? Get some extra compensation if he is a significant contributing member of the team. You think CHI wouldn't have sprung for an extra $250k if they signed a RB off the WW and he gave them 1000 yds this year?

It's not just that CHI didn't give him the incentives, it's that Jones was willing to sign a 1 yr contract for the vet minimum without any incentives. That's a hugh insight into what he thinks of his chances.

Sorry, dont like guessing value using contract as a variable. What if you had done this with Randy Moss? Corey Dillon?

I'm sorry, were those vet min. contracts for 1 year? Oh, wait, let's see:

Moss (2007)

base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008.

:wacko: I think that's a little more than the vet minimum...

Dillon 2004

Patriots inherit base salaries of $3.3 million for 2004 and $3.85 million for '05.

:D Completing the terms of his contract with CIN. I don't think that qualifies for vet minimum...

You're talking apples & oranges, my friend, and you're doing so as if it provides you with some kind of relief from responding, when in fact it actually weakens your position (significanty, IMO).

If there is no more money out there, there is no more money. At some point you just have to take what you can get and try to make the most of it. Why not try a team without a horse, and a rookie RB who some have doubts about? If this works out, he will get paid down the road.

If this works out, he will get paid down the road.

:wacko:

No NFL vet player who is "proven" takes a contract like that - especially a RB - unless they are desperate (see guys like Ron Dayne when they went to DEN). They understand better than anyone how tenuous and short their money making opportunity is. If they are taking this deal, they do not consider themselves starting material. If they are sure they will start, they wait out the process for injuries and then sign for more than the vet minimum. If they are just looking for a chance of any kind to get some work and enhance their value (like Dayne did when he went to HOU), then they do what Jones did.