[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston

Zooty

It's gonna be wicked hot.

Depending on what week(s) you're there, you may catch the Astros at home. Seeing a game at Minute Maid Park is awesome (or so I've heard - I still haven't been there). They host the Giants and D-Backs from Aug 11-17.

Most everything you're going to want to do is in the "inner loop". There are some good bars (wait for upcoming edit) that you can hit up.

If you're into it, the Space Center at NASA has a nice visitors' center, and has a bad-ass Star Wars exhibit that's going on right now.

How long are you out there? I can recommend some nice day trips if it's an extended visit.

So I get to go to Houston in the middle of August. What's good to do there?

I'm guessing it may be hot. :wacko:

Make a day trip to Beaumont and Ill take you on a tour of the refineries ...

Honestly, it depends on whether you are talking family fun or more for adults. We like to eat/shop in the Galleria area. Minute Maid is a good idea if you like baseball. There are some good parks. A zoo. Houston is really one gigantic strip mall ...

I'm at Rice for a conference for work, Aug 12-15. I get in Tuesday and leave Friday afternoon. The most time I'll have is in the evenings.

Tuesday night is probably my best bet to do anything but I'm not sure if I'll have a car. Guess I'll need one to get out?

I'm at Rice for a conference for work, Aug 12-15. I get in Tuesday and leave Friday afternoon. The most time I'll have is in the evenings.

Tuesday night is probably my best bet to do anything but I'm not sure if I'll have a car. Guess I'll need one to get out?

You can get a taxi but a rental is a much better option. Go to the Galleria area at least one night for dinner.

I'd definitely go check out the Astros then... and then maybe hit the bars around the park afterwards.

I'm waiting on a buddy of mine who's from Houston to get back to me on some good ones. Stay tuned.

Update: here's some bar info from a buddy of mine...

The State Bar and Lounge is a safe bet downtown.

http://www.thestatebar.com/table.html

Also, closer to Rice he can go to the Village area. There are about 4 bars all next to each other. The Gingerman is the best of the bunch located at 5607 Morningside. There are a lot of hot girls in this area, but they are all bitches.

The better bars all located within 3 miles of Rice are:

Rudyards, located at Waugh and West Drew. – 2010 Waugh Dr. - Good burgers as well.

Poison Girl, which is located on Westheimer just east of Dunlavy - 1641 Westheimer Rd (there is really no big sign though, look in the window. It is on the south side of the street)

Ciesel’s, which is located on W. Grey just east of Montrose. - 600 W. Grey. Again, no big sign, just look for the deck on the north side of the street.

Also, a few blocks further north is Onion Creek, located in the heights north of I-10. It is on Live Oak just west of Studewood.

If you are staying near Rice, hang in Rice Village.

The Gingerman is an awesome bar if you like good beer.

There are some excellent restaurants in Houston, some of the best in the country.

Good Co. BBQ on Kirby is the best BBQ in town.

If you are psyched to go downtown, the Flying Saucer is a great bar with a fantastic beer selection.

The NASA tour is really good, the tram goes by my office every day. We will not have a Shuttle up in August, so you may get to see the current mission control.

The Natural Science and Fine Arts Museums are really good.

The Galleria area is a cool place to hang out, but I prefer Rice Village.

There are some kick-ass bars in the Montrose area, but you have to know where you are going because that section of town is extremely liberal, NTTAWWT.

I would also recommend the Black Lab, very cool bar.

You will not be far from Reliant Stadium, you may be able to catch Texans Training Camp or a Preseason game. You can get into camp for free, and the preseason games you can get tickets from a scalper for about $5.

Houston is a fun town to hang out in.

If it's super-blazin' hot, just remember: the local dog track is air conditioned and the cold beers are cheap.

Gingerman is a good pub in the Rice Village area.

Agree that Rudz (Rudyards) is a cool pub, which usually has live music and good burgers.

If you REALLY want to have an interesting time go to Lola's in the Montrose. No sign. Just enter on the grey loading dock. It's an eclectic mix of junkies, strippers, bikers, homeless, and assorted derelicts. The best part about it (aside from $2.50 gin and tonics in a plastic cup) is that nobody F**ks with any body there. Zero attitude; its just a place where people go to not be bothered.

Next to Lola's is La Mexicana. Order up some fajitas and a pitcher of frozen margaritas. Yummo.

If you like up-scale dining there is a ton of it in Houston.

River Oaks theater typically has good independent films, if you're into them.

Houston in August. :wacko:

I haven't been there in a while, just get ready to feel heat in a personal way that you have never felt before. Shade does no good.

I have never been to Houston but I would put our discomfort level this time of year up against anyone in the continental U.S.

Lots of good info here :wacko:

Hopefully the Gingerman is air-conditioned

Half in-door, half out-door.

If you want a better air-conditioned, less 20-something atmosphere, then the Black Lab over on Montrose is good. Nice English pub with a half decent breakfast; not a particularly cheap place, though.

If you're looking for a yummie dinner that isn't too swanky or pricey, then you should check out Backstreet Cafe on 1103 S Shepherd Dr, or Daily Review Cafe at 3412 W Lamar St.

Weekend brunch at Benjy's 2424 Dunstan Rd, over in West U (which isn't far from Rice Village), is always fun. Don't kill your liver the night before; the mimosas are all you can drink.

Edited by yo mama

If you're going to be the Rice Village area you probably need to stop by El Mason. It's a cuban/mexican restaurant, but their masitas are to die for... (assuming you like garlic).

If you like live music, you may also want to check the website for the Mucky Duck. It's a quaint little venue. A polite, well-behaved crowd with assigned seating so you have to call ahead and get tickets if you want a good seat. Full bar with a refined selection of scotch and beers. Their Guinness stew is what to order for dinner.

what was the name of the brew-pub in the Village?...that's gotta be air conditioned

Two Rows is the micro brewery in the Village. But Kelvin Arms and Han's Bier Haus are also in the area. Han's Bier Haus is owned by a friend of my from law school; they've got a nice botce ball court in the back yard.

Two Rows is the micro brewery in the Village. But Kelvin Arms and Han's Bier Haus are also in the area. Han's Bier Haus is owned by a friend of my from law school; they've got a nice botce ball court in the back yard.

I've never been overly impressed with Two Rows beer either. You can get St. Arnold's (our local brewery) IPA on cask condition at the Gingerman :drool: