[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are your contingency plans?

DemonKnight

I frankly don't buy any of it.

I am making no contingency plans as I see no need for it. You can find articles like those posted and converesely, there'd be others saying exactly the opposite.

There's been fear-mongering for centuries and we're all still here. Just one more example.

Then by all means, post something that might assauge my fears. Or not, I dont care.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then by all means, post something that might assauge my fears. Or not, I dont care.

Fear if you want. Or not. I don't care. :wacko:

Seriously though. We have shown as a nation and as a people to be able to adapt. I'm not the least bit concerned. I'm a "cross that bridge when I get to it" guy. It's how I roll.

I am more concerned with my children and grandchildren's world. Owning a farm (free and clear) is our safety net for the near future but do I want to live the way my great grandparents lived there? They were very much self-sufficient but obviously did not have the luxuries we take for granted today. Survival is not questioned but quality of life is. You city slickers? Good luck. Now might be a good time to "find" God.

I may even put up some solar panels. Check out this link. At the bottom of the page it links to another page that tells you the rebates / incentives offered for adding solar panels. Here in Texas I can purchase a 3kW system for $1,320 after rebates and tax credits. I have not looked into the installation cost, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too much, particularly if you do the mounting yourself, and just hire an electrician to do the tie in with the utility company.

I wonder if I could put the solar panels on a shed / barn that is away from the house (the ones I've seen all look really ugly)?

:wacko:

Just got back from visiting one of the sisters-in-law who lives in the Smokey Mountains in western NC. She has an array of solar panels that makes enough electric that she is able to sell some to the power company. But she's 65 so how much electric does an old hippy need?

I'm more interested in wind power. We have another hippy commune not far from us who has this windmill from the future looking thing that is constantly spinning (probably killing 1,000s of robins as I speak) and I'm figuring that for here that would be a much more reliable source of electric.

But in my heart...I think the only thing we really have to fear is fear itself. America is still the greatest, most blessed land on earth. When the Second Great Depression comes we will still manage it better than any one. And probably be the country that pulls the rest of the world out of the dregs.

The interesting result is that most of us will do all of our shopping at Wal-Mart in five years. They've already started the process of converting their entire truck fleet into hybrids, so they'll be even cheaper (relatively speaking) than they are today. Plus, they've started telling their suppliers to be more green too.

I love WM's philosophy, but I hate shopping there.

Unfortunately, we'll all be working there too.

I can't believe a gallon of gas costs 7 wal-mart bucks!

I wonder if I could put the solar panels on a shed / barn that is away from the house (the ones I've seen all look really ugly)?

:wacko:

I'm sure you could, but if your don't have a separate meter for the barn already, your installation cost which isn't included in the costs shown on that link would go way up, and the efficiency would probably go down a little bit due to the extra resistance in the line caused by the additional length. They would have to run a line from the barn to the meter.

Just got back from visiting one of the sisters-in-law who lives in the Smokey Mountains in western NC. She has an array of solar panels that makes enough electric that she is able to sell some to the power company. But she's 65 so how much electric does an old hippy need?

I'm more interested in wind power. We have another hippy commune not far from us who has this windmill from the future looking thing that is constantly spinning (probably killing 1,000s of robins as I speak) and I'm figuring that for here that would be a much more reliable source of electric.

But in my heart...I think the only thing we really have to fear is fear itself. America is still the greatest, most blessed land on earth. When the Second Great Depression comes we will still manage it better than any one. And probably be the country that pulls the rest of the world out of the dregs.

Wind is much more efficient than solar power if you have the land to build a windmill on, and have a nice unobstructed wind. The windmills usually require an acre of space that has to be fenced off and not used for anything else. It would be great if you lived on a ranch or a farm, but not so great for living in a subdivision. Even if you bought some acreage, the best place to put the wind mill would be on a hill top, which more than likely is the same place you would really want to build the house. I wouldn't want a windmill unless I owned at least 50 acres of land, and could situate it where it would be far from the house, as I would imagine they are fairly noisy.

I agree with you on the fear. I'm not all that concerned. I think our problems are generally over hyped and over reported, particularly in election years. Even if we should see a severe economic down turn, it would effect the entire world, not just us, and we would more than likely still come out on top when he dust settles.

One thing we maybe could do now is separate oil for transportation and manufacturing from oil for electricity generation. Perhaps there really is no need to use any for electricity when there are so many alternatives, the best of which is nuclear power. The French have 75% of their electricity from nuclear and they have a much smaller country than us.

Anybody know how many barrels of oil go for burning for electricity? Is that oil useful for different purposes i.e. manufacturing and transportation?

One thing we maybe could do now is separate oil for transportation and manufacturing from oil for electricity generation. Perhaps there really is no need to use any for electricity when there are so many alternatives, the best of which is nuclear power. The French have 75% of their electricity from nuclear and they have a much smaller country than us.

Anybody know how many barrels of oil go for burning for electricity? Is that oil useful for different purposes i.e. manufacturing and transportation?

I agree, build more nukes, but you can't get them permitted, too many environmentalists and NIMBY people oppose them.

In the US, almost 2 million barrels of oil per day were being burned in power plants at the peak of consumption.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/07/14/oils...ced-by-nuclear/

In the US, almost 2 million barrels of oil per day were being burned in power plants at the peak of consumption.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/07/14/oils...ced-by-nuclear/

Now that's really interesting. It shows there isn't all that much oil-burning going on, relatively speaking, but makes the point that nuclear (and maybe wind but nuclear would be better) could replace natural gas which then could be diverted to transportation. Not sure how that all would work but it's an interesting possibility that we could shift the types of fuel we use for different purposes.

I wouldn't want a windmill unless I owned at least 50 acres of land, and could situate it where it would be far from the house, as I would imagine they are fairly noisy.

They are very noisy. They sound like a jet engine sitting on the runway. They are also very expensive. I think a decent one for residential use is around $20,000. 20 grand buys a lot of electricity.

I frankly don't buy any of it.

I am making no contingency plans as I see no need for it. You can find articles like those posted and converesely, there'd be others saying exactly the opposite.

There's been fear-mongering for centuries and we're all still here. Just one more example.

:D

I still believe in America and that we will find a way to adapt and overcome as we have always done. I believe in our people and our form of Government. I believe that by allowing people to be free, think freely and compete for a solution, this too will be just more fear mongering stabbed to death by the efforts of the USA. Every generation before us has talked about being worried for their kids and grandkids.

My contingency plan? Lot's of guns and ammo! I'm already set :wacko:

They are very noisy. They sound like a jet engine sitting on the runway. They are also very expensive. I think a decent one for residential use is around $20,000. 20 grand buys a lot of electricity.

I'm pretty sure the new ones for wind farm use are way quieter since the blade rotation to turbine rotation ratio is so high now. This allows the blade to turn slower which reduces the low level "thrum" noise.

Usually the rotational speed of the wind turbine is slower than the equivalent rotation speed of the electrical network - typical rotation speeds for a wind generators are 5-20 rpm while a directly connected machine will have an electrical speed between 750-3600 rpm.

I have the ability to possibly buy some land directly to the east of me (big hill) and stick one of these bad boys on it and surround it with solar panels. I also have the prospect of punching a hole down several hundred (thousand?) feet and piping in natural gas direct to the house. Maybe doing the same for well water.

All it takes is a big enough check to get it done ... ugh ...

I also have the prospect of punching a hole down several hundred (thousand?) feet and piping in natural gas direct to the house. Maybe doing the same for well water.

All it takes is a big enough check to get it done ... ugh ...

If you have natural gas your water will likely be sulfur.

After driving into work over the past 12 years, I have started transitioning from my car to driving to the park and ride and taking the Express bus from Concord to downtown Charlotte. Saves me 26 miles per day, plus less wear and tear on my car, fewer oil changes, tires, etc. Wasn't sure I would like it, but it is nice NOT to drive in and let someone else to it. I can read a book, listen to music and come into work without the stress of the commute in.

It has been better than I expected it would be and it makes me manage my day a little better, as I need to leave work at a certain time everyday to make sure I don't miss the last bus home. With a laptop for work I can wrap up at work and finish the day's work at home logging into the network when the kids are down for the night. Has been working out pretty well and will help save about $95 per month from my monthly budget. :wacko:

After driving into work over the past 12 years, I have started transitioning from my car to driving to the park and ride and taking the Express bus from Concord to downtown Charlotte. Saves me 26 miles per day, plus less wear and tear on my car, fewer oil changes, tires, etc. Wasn't sure I would like it, but it is nice NOT to drive in and let someone else to it. I can read a book, listen to music and come into work without the stress of the commute in.

It has been better than I expected it would be and it makes me manage my day a little better, as I need to leave work at a certain time everyday to make sure I don't miss the last bus home. With a laptop for work I can wrap up at work and finish the day's work at home logging into the network when the kids are down for the night. Has been working out pretty well and will help save about $95 per month from my monthly budget. :wacko:

I get to work too early for me to take advantage of a park and ride (between 5:30 and 6:30). But when gas hit $3.50 a gallon I would have used a park and ride ... except by the time I have driven to the nearest park and ride it is half the distance to work in the wrong direction.

Yup. That is a nice schedule. I did it in Florida from Fort Lauderdale to Boca on the Tri-Rail. I loved the reading time on teh train and I loved being able to say "Gotta catch the train, adios!"

Now I telecommute, most weeks, 4/5 days/week. :D