[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

worst insurance companies

polksalet

State Farm treated my wife fairly with an auto claim, but I'd hate to have my house flooded.

I bought a $6000 motorcycle about 5 years ago, and it was stolen 2 days after I opened my full coverage policy. State Farm found some loop hole, denied me my money, and I ended up paying off a $6000 loan out of pocket, and never got the bike back.

State Farm is da debble Bobby Bouchet....the debble

wait a second ksu, what happened?

I spent two or so weeks looking for my dream bike, and found it in Virginia. Got approved for a loan, rented a truck, then went and picked it up. When getting back in town, I went straight to State Farm and opened a full coverage policy on it. A little over 48 hours later, my bike was stolen. When I called and placed a claim, I received a letter within days stating that because my bike was stolen before the policy had a chance to be pushed thru to corporate, full coverage wasn't in my policy...only liability. Supposedly corporate checks your driving record, and then your full coverage goes into effect. Until then you only have liability. I thought it was BS, but after talking to Lawyers, came to the conclusion this policy is practiced in offices that aren't equipped to check your driving record.

:screwed:

I'm in the middle of the settlement process with All State for an accident involving their insured...I should find out soon how difficult they are going to be. Smooth sailing so far, but I haven't asked them for any scratch yet.

This is about right. However, a lot of whether you will be treated fairly depends on the individual claim representative/adjuster you are dealing with and the attitude of his supervisor. They all want to minimize payouts to the extent they can, but some are willing to do it with fairness in mind and others will do anything to avoid payment.

One of the most abused practices is underinsured motorist coverage. An insurer can legally delay paying a UIM claim until trial is over without penalty, at least in Texas. Therefore, I have seen Allstate and State Farm try to get a haircut off of claims they know they owe simply because they know they can force the insured to spend $$$ to get the benefits they are owed, so why not get 90% of what you are owed without hiring the lawyer and going through the expense. Of course, since you owe it, why not just pay it instead of using the right to delay the claim and run up the insureds expenses to force a haircut.

I have State Farm for Homeowner and Auto, never had a problem with them. Of course, I don't live in a flood plain.

Neither did I. You're house get flooded by any means whatsoever, you're screwed.

Edited by rajncajn

I fired State Farm June 1. I still have not received my refund. Wife called today and agent referred wife to "underwriting". "Underwriting" said that it was being processed today.

Ya don't reckon they held payment until we got proactive do ya? No way I am sure it was pure coincidence that they processed the check 6 weeks later on the day we called.

I fired State Farm June 1. I still have not received my refund. Wife called today and agent referred wife to "underwriting". "Underwriting" said that it was being processed today.

Ya don't reckon they held payment until we got proactive do ya? No way I am sure it was pure coincidence that they processed the check 6 weeks later on the day we called.

I'd guess that the timing was not a coincidence...

I spent two or so weeks looking for my dream bike, and found it in Virginia. Got approved for a loan, rented a truck, then went and picked it up. When getting back in town, I went straight to State Farm and opened a full coverage policy on it. A little over 48 hours later, my bike was stolen. When I called and placed a claim, I received a letter within days stating that because my bike was stolen before the policy had a chance to be pushed thru to corporate, full coverage wasn't in my policy...only liability. Supposedly corporate checks your driving record, and then your full coverage goes into effect. Until then you only have liability. I thought it was BS, but after talking to Lawyers, came to the conclusion this policy is practiced in offices that aren't equipped to check your driving record.

:screwed:

I don't know about statutes of limitations, but I would sue the agent. He/she has errors and omissions insurance for this. You could claim, simply, that you could have been covered by another company spot on had you known this. If you still can, I would sue the agent.....maybe a lawyer here can chime in and give us some general practices?

I don't know about statutes of limitations, but I would sue the agent. He/she has errors and omissions insurance for this. You could claim, simply, that you could have been covered by another company spot on had you known this. If you still can, I would sue the agent.....maybe a lawyer here can chime in and give us some general practices?

That would be nice...

That would be nice...

Yes it would be....so I expect your next move is to call an attorney today!

Not to mention, if this was two years ago, odds are that you wouldn't have been able to get collision....comprehensive covers theft...and CLUE reports are instant...therefore their claim is bunk...hell, even the collision claim is bunk since most states have interactive MVR reports now. Call an attorney today...or PM me your phone number, I will call you...you take some notes on industry lingo...then call the attorney. Either way, this should have been covered...especially if you got a binder with all the coverage listed on it.

Edited by TheShiznit

Amazed Prudential isn't on there. I have heard several bad things about them from others and they tried to totally #### me over on car ins. when I got in an accident - they said they wouldn't cover me because THEY neglected to update my policy to my new car I had gotten (even though I had given them all this info and was paying higher premiums for about 6 months prior).

Amazed Prudential isn't on there. I have heard several bad things about them from others and they tried to totally #### me over on car ins. when I got in an accident - they said they wouldn't cover me because THEY neglected to update my policy to my new car I had gotten (even though I had given them all this info and was paying higher premiums for about 6 months prior).

When Prudential sold auto insurance....they were actually very good at paying claims...then they sold to Liberty Mutual...and that went downhill.

The mrs. and I have Amica for auto and home, and are very pleased even if the premiums are a little more than average. The mrs knocked a street light over, and Amica was Johnny-on-the-spot with a rental and repairs.

Consumer Reports 10 best-rated auto insurance companies for customer support and payouts:

New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Co.

Amica Mutual Insurance Co.

United Services Automobile Association

Auto-Owners Insurance Co.

State Automobile Mutual Insurance Co.

USAA Casualty Insurance Co.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co.

State Farm Fire and Casualty Co.

Hartford Underwriters Insurance Co.

Tojoiznit do you have any commentary on this?

Tojoiznit do you have any commentary on this?

Explain that...as I don't get it....and then I might!

If i remember, you live in Arkansas....so your state laws differ from mine. In the state of Illinois, companies are REQUIRED to give pro-rata concellation payments on Auto Insurance only. In regards to homeowners, the companies have the right to simply keep the premium...however I have never run into this. It would seem to me that they are trying to get away with floating this money for the interest...or for whatever reason...or it simply could just be an oversight....I would call the agent and pressure them some more...that is if you do not receive the payment within 10 days.

LOL...Ok, you live in Texas...but really doesn't matter, I don't know the insurance laws their either!

Edited by TheShiznit

Explain that...as I don't get it....and then I might!

If i remember, you live in Arkansas....so your state laws differ from mine. In the state of Illinois, companies are REQUIRED to give pro-rata concellation payments on Auto Insurance only. In regards to homeowners, the companies have the right to simply keep the premium...however I have never run into this. It would seem to me that they are trying to get away with floating this money for the interest...or for whatever reason...or it simply could just be an oversight....I would call the agent and pressure them some more...that is if you do not receive the payment within 10 days.

LOL...Ok, you live in Texas...but really doesn't matter, I don't know the insurance laws their either!

so either they are floating it or it is an oversight, either way this is further evidence of state farm's suckage