[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question for the golfers

HowboutthemCowboys

Everything I read about hybrids says they're easy to hit. I can't hit mine for crap. :wacko:

I bought a set of Adams Idea A2's last year. They have a 23 degree 4 hybrid and a 20 degree 3 hybrid instead of 3 and 4 irons. I don't hit long irons very well so I thought this set would be right up my alley. I like the irons alot.

Am I supposed to swing the hybrid like an iron or sweep it like a fairway wood. Forward or back of center in the stance?

Help?

All my buddies got hybrids the last year or two and when I tried them I struggled hitting them well. A little over a month ago I picked up a Cobra Baffler DWS and absolutely love it. I think you have to have a little "in-between" swing....while it seems to set up like an iron, mine has a longer shaft then an iron so it had to be swung a little different. There was still a little adjustment period, but one thing I discovered right away is these things really dig the ball out of the rough with ease. One swing thought I have found that helps since then, is I kind of apply the same swing as if I was trying to hit it out of the rough. :wacko: Seems to work for me.

I hit my hybrids with a sweeping motion (like I hit my woods) instead of swinging down on the ball like I do with my irons. I also place the ball just forward of midline in my stance. It works for me. :wacko:

I hit my hybrids with a sweeping motion (like I hit my woods) instead of swinging down on the ball like I do with my irons. I also place the ball just forward of midline in my stance. It works for me. :wacko:

+1

I have a 3 iron hybrid and hit it the same as my 3 wood. I do play the ball just a little forward of the middle of my stance and have no problem making solid contact. That club is one of my favorites in the bag, I still carry a 4 iron though.

In the clubs' defense, I don't have time to practice nearly as much as I should. I'm playing tomorrow and I always hit a bucket before I go out. I'm gonna try to devote more time to the hybrids there. Funny that BB mentioned having success out of the rough b/c that seems to be the only time I hit them decent too.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I am a guy that plays almost all my shots in the back of my stance. My right foot is almost how far back I play shots with 9 or even an 8 iron. It helps be strike down on the ball and I have great results with that approach. When I started hitting my hybrid I was playing that a little more than middle of stance toward the front or left foot. I was really hitting it well. Somehow I lost that touch and started moving that ball back in my stance as that comes very natural to me. At that point I started hitting the ball like crap with the hybrid except when I was hitting uphill. Then it went off like a light bulb and I moved that ball forward and once again I love hitting the hybrid. I do have a tendency to roll my wrist and yank it to the left so if there is major danger hitting left I will not hit it. Otherwise all is pretty good.

Oh and I also love to hit it out of the rough and really love hitting it out of a sand trap that I still have a long shot to the green from.

I hit mine like crap yesterday. Play it right in the middle and like it's a wood...but basically pray lately and I yanked one left and OB on a par 3...and the other time I hit it off the tee I hit on top of it and it went 40 yards.

I have a set of Nickent 3dx hybrids and it took me a little bit to get used to viewing them during address. I eventually ended up using a swing very similar to my woods and now have excellent results with them. But my first five or so rounds with them were frustrating to say the least.

You play the hybrid just like you would the long iron it replaces. Same spot in your setup...same swing. You sweep your long irons just like you should sweep a hybrid. I replaced my 2 iron with a hybrid. At first I fought a hook. Now all is well and it's much more consistent than my 2 iron ever was.

Keep hitting it. It will come around. I'm actually thinking of replacing my 3 wood with a hybrid.

I couldn't hit them at first either and now ove them and I have added more hybrids to my set. I now have 3-6 and since they don't make a 2 hybrid for women I may get a senior flex 2 to replace my 3 wood. My courses have tight lie bent grass fairways and the woods are very hard to hit off it. My 3 hybrid goes as far as my five wood and performs much better in the rough.

When I first tried them I was taking chunks of turf on one swing, and then topping the ball on the next. I don't really remember how I made the adjustment but now they are so much easier to swing than my irons. My only complaint is I carry my bag and my courses are over a 7 mile walk. The hybrids are heavier to carry than irons.

I have one hybrid - a Taylormade something or other and I really like it. I hit it more like a wood with the ball the more left of center the further I want to hit it. I do use a slower sweeping motion because the ball is on the turn rather than on a tee - I never could hit a wood off the turf unless it was propped up nicely.

Good luck!

I bought one of the Tight Lies utility clubs used for $20 at Play it Again sports and have totally replaced my 3 iron and 4 iron with it. I could never hit either for crap anyway and this thing is awesome. In fact when I went to Scotland last year I could have gotten by with it, a 7 iron, a Sand Wedge and a putter. Granted my handicap is 20...

Played today at 45 and 43. I can't putt. :wacko:

I practiced with both hybrids on the range before the round. I moved the ball a little more forward in my stance and tried to sweep the club a little more. Hit some good ones and a few crappy ones. I played a different course today than usual and never pulled the hybrids from my bag. I had a chance a few times, one a 180 yard par 3 but chickened out and hit the 5 iron instead. I need more practice; I have no confidence in them yet....

Thanks for the responses.

I practiced with both hybrids on the range before the round. I moved the ball a little more forward in my stance and tried to sweep the club a little more. Hit some good ones and a few crappy ones.

When you hit them bad, what is the ball doing?

I have'nt even swung a 3 or 4 iron for a couple years. When I miss with my 5 though I hit it clean and high, but right.

I rarely miss left with any club. If I miss, it's right... :wacko:

In other words, it's curving to the right, not straight but to the right of where you aimed.

This isn't a very technical analysis but when I hit to the right and on the ground I can fix it by slowing my tempo down and not taking as hugh of a backswing. When I am trying to get extra distance I take a bigger back swing and it gets loopy and goes right. Also when I hit it to the right if I make my grip stronger (not grip harder, but grip with the hands more under the club), it prevents the ball fading or slicing. If I over correct I know immediately because the ball will hook.