[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Someone picked my f'n pocket

Big F'n Dave

Last Thursday night outside Wrigley Field, JulieB and I were headed back to the hotel when I realized my wallet was gone. I had it secured (I thought) in the bottom front pocket of my cargo shorts, but I apparently ran across a world-class pickpocket. Just outside the stadium, we were caught up in a throng of people so thick that someone could've probably given me a hand job without my knowing it and that's where I assume the deed occurred. Whoever got it wound up with about $300 cash, my bank card, two credit cards, driver's license, SS card, work ID, and all kinds of other sh*t I'm sure I'll remember as time passes. One of the credit cards was used less than two hours after the game at a restaurant a couple miles away.

I spent all day Friday on the phone with banks and credit cards and I'm not gonna get hung with any charges, but with my license and SS card gone, I'm trying to figure out how to protect myself from further fraud.

Thoughts?

let this be a lesson, dave. you are way too f'n old to be wearing cargo shorts.

Just because you're ashy white legs must remain covered doesn't mean everyone's should. :wacko:

Last Thursday night outside Wrigley Field, JulieB and I were headed back to the hotel when I realized my wallet was gone. I had it secured (I thought) in the bottom front pocket of my cargo shorts, but I apparently ran across a world-class pickpocket. Just outside the stadium, we were caught up in a throng of people so thick that someone could've probably given me a hand job without my knowing it and that's where I assume the deed occurred. Whoever got it wound up with about $300 cash, my bank card, two credit cards, driver's license, SS card, work ID, and all kinds of other sh*t I'm sure I'll remember as time passes. One of the credit cards was used less than two hours after the game at a restaurant a couple miles away.

I spent all day Friday on the phone with banks and credit cards and I'm not gonna get hung with any charges, but with my license and SS card gone, I'm trying to figure out how to protect myself from further fraud.

Thoughts?

i wear cargo shorts specifically so i can have my wallet in front like you do. azz probably carries a man purse.

my wife's company just sent her a letter saying they got some computers stolen with employees' personal info on it. they signed her up for a free credit monitoring service. i can get you the name if you want, but most of the major credit reporting companies offer them. that's what i'd do.

You probably don't have anything to be worried about other than what you've already done, but the simplest way is to call the three credit bureaus and have them put a fraud alert at the very top of your credit report. That's important - at the very top. That way your ID is double-checked any time you apply for credit.

you need to call the social security department ASAP. That might be the most valuable thing you lost and the one that is going to be the biggest headache.

you need to call the social security department ASAP. That might be the most valuable thing you lost and the one that is going to be the biggest headache.

Called this morning and they made it sound surprisingly simple. Just bring a valid ID (my duplicate DL) and they'll walk me through an online application. Should take about two weeks, they said. :wacko:

Geez......i am sorry for you Dave! I apologize for a great city, though that's not going to help.

My FIL many years ago was almost picked on an escalator going to a Cub's game. He was in his 80's, but street smart (not to say you weren't). 2 guys in front of him fell back on him. The third guy was groping for his wallet. FIL grabbed his wallet and started yelling (we were 5 steps behind him). They ran away, he still had his wallet. When we got down to the other EL platform, someone else got nailed as he was on a pay phone talking to the police! :wacko:

You did everything right, but these are pros! I am sorry this tainted your trip! :D

It was great meeting you and I hope you come back some day, regardless of this incident.

Geez......i am sorry for you Dave! I apologize for a great city, though that's not going to help.

My FIL many years ago was almost picked on an escalator going to a Cub's game. He was in his 80's, but street smart (not to say you weren't). 2 guys in front of him fell back on him. The third guy was groping for his wallet. FIL grabbed his wallet and started yelling (we were 5 steps behind him). They ran away, he still had his wallet. When we got down to the other EL platform, someone else got nailed as he was on a pay phone talking to the police! :D

You did everything right, but these are pros! I am sorry this tainted your trip! :D

It was great meeting you and I hope you come back some day, regardless of this incident.

On a side note, rr has now purchased season tickets to the Chicago F'n Bears. :wacko:

(sorry to hear dave) :D

Edited by Chief Dick

Incorrect, no one should wear cargo shorts, at any age.

In all seriousness, putting anything in the cargo pockets is an invitation to pickpockets to grab your wallet. The closer it is against you the better ie back pocket, the better... That way you should at least be able to feel when the pickpocket takes your stuff.

The biggest thing you've learned is not to carry that SS card with you. There's just no reason for it. I have never been asked to provide my SS card for any reason. I'm not even sure I have mine. I may have lost it years ago. The number counts...the card is worthless.

Look at it this way, in a round about way you have given hope to 20 illegal mexicans that now have a brand new social security number and a non-ethnic last name.

Sorry to hear man, that really sucks.

Yikes! Sorry to hear this, Dave. I also carry my cash and cards in a buttoned cargo pocket thinking that was pretty safe. :wacko:

Others have given good advice - do all you can to protect that SS# & make sure the credit agencies and your banks know what happened.

Look at it this way, in a round about way you have given hope to 20 illegal mexicans that now have a brand new social security number and a non-ethnic last name.

Sorry to hear man, that really sucks.

If that happens, his Social Security will be CAKE. There are SS #s that multiple illegals aliens use that have MILLIONS in contributions in... :D

The only thing I can think of other than a money belt is one of those chain wallet things. I have always thought wear cargo shorts with Velcro that makes a lot of noise is the best defense... :wacko: