[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts/Skins quick impressions

BeeR

I know, it's just one pre-season game vs mostly backups etc....anyway....

COLTS:

- Colts D looked like typical Colts D (soft)

- Sorgi looked like Sorgi (iffy at best). He was OK dumping off short lobs to Clark, but anything more complex than that and P-U. One of the worst backups around IMO.

- Gray and even Lorenzen, on the other hand, looked pretty good. The big guy faded towards the end, but I'd still keep either him as a QB3 - in fact either over Sorgi as QB2 (not this year though - gotta learn the system).

- Rhodes looked pretty good, didn't see Hart

SKINS:

- Brennan was EASILY the best QB out there. Looked damn good. Again noting caveats above, but keep that up and Skins may have the steal of the draft.

- Cartwright looked very good (although so would most of us vs Colts' run D)

Even considering that Freeney and Sanders were out, the Colts D looked absolutely awful. The Foreskins went through them like a hot knife through butter on that first drive. It's also not encouraging to see Addai get hurt (sort of) on the first drive.

Agreed that Sorgi is awful. Dude has no arm. Wasn't too impressed with the Pillsbury Throw Boy, either. Gray looked the best out of the three.

Rhodes, surprisingly, looked like the '01 Rhodes.. Given his pass-blocking skills, I think that he'll end up with the backup spot.

Clark looked great. I foresee him having another big year, as he's clearly effective in the slot. That gives them the flexibility of going out of the two-TE formation to a three-WR formation via audible. If Marvin is healthy, Dallas will cut into Gonzalez's playing time.

Unfortunately, they were awful overall up front, on both O and D. This is what killed them in the playoffs last year. And with Peyton, Marvin, Freeney, and Sanders all coming off of surgeries (and Freeney's being major), I don't have a good feeling about this season at this point. They have a long way to go.

Holy crap, Brennan was making some great throws. I understand it was lower level recievers against lower level DBs & LBs, but geez, he looked good with his placement and touch when needed, and putting the ball into the right spot quickly when required.

Looks like his skill transfer is going to be almost lock, stock, & barrel.

Hart looked good too. Ripped off some nice long runs, and showed great determination finishing the runs with forward momentum and getting in a couple of extra steps before going to the ground.

I had my doubts with his size/weight - but he also looked like he belonged on the field.

Garcon can make the jump from Div. III to IND WR, also. He looked like he belonged on the field, and made special teams plays as well.

I imagine that he and Hall will fight for the 4th WR spot.

Hart looked good too. Ripped off some nice long runs, and showed great determination finishing the runs with forward momentum and getting in a couple of extra steps before going to the ground.

I had my doubts with his size/weight - but he also looked like he belonged on the field.

The drafting of Hart and the signing of Rhodes as a FA tells me that Kenton Keith will be cut. Keith was awful as a pass-blocker last season (a skill set that is absolutely necessary on this offense) and dropped many passes (one of which deflected off of his helmet and resulted in a turnover in the playoff game). Too bad, because he's a very skilled rusher.

Even considering that Freeney and Sanders were out, the Colts D looked absolutely awful. The Foreskins went through them like a hot knife through butter on that first drive. It's also not encouraging to see Addai get hurt (sort of) on the first drive.

Agreed that Sorgi is awful. Dude has no arm. Wasn't too impressed with the Pillsbury Throw Boy, either. Gray looked the best out of the three.

Rhodes, surprisingly, looked like the '01 Rhodes.. Given his pass-blocking skills, I think that he'll end up with the backup spot.

Clark looked great. I foresee him having another big year, as he's clearly effective in the slot. That gives them the flexibility of going out of the two-TE formation to a three-WR formation via audible. If Marvin is healthy, Dallas will cut into Gonzalez's playing time.

Unfortunately, they were awful overall up front, on both O and D. This is what killed them in the playoffs last year. And with Peyton, Marvin, Freeney, and Sanders all coming off of surgeries (and Freeney's being major), I don't have a good feeling about this season at this point. They have a long way to go.

Didn't this happen last year as well?

Agreed on all counts (good ol Polian the genius, always did know how to build a D). I think the diff between Lorz. and Gray wasn't much. The big guy looked fine till a few forced throws at the end. He has very surprisingly mobility for his size too; see him scramble for that 1st down early on? I'd love to see him scrambling and some CB come up to hit him and instead of bracing for the tackle, he just knocks junior back into next week, Earl Campbell-like. :wacko:

I liked Garcon too although didn't see much. Agree he should make the squad as a backup (I still shiver thinking of Aaron don't-call-me-Agnes Moorehead).

I only saw about 5 minutes of the game, but what I saw was hart with 3 straight rushes of 10 plus yards, including one where his helmet got knocked off and he still lowered the shoulders to get an extra yard or two. Impressed me enough to think that if he keeps this type of effort up he will earn a spot on the team (not saying he will produce this year) and certainly warrants consideration for dynasty leagues.

I only saw about 5 minutes of the game, but what I saw was hart with 3 straight rushes of 10 plus yards, including one where his helmet got knocked off and he still lowered the shoulders to get an extra yard or two. Impressed me enough to think that if he keeps this type of effort up he will earn a spot on the team (not saying he will produce this year) and certainly warrants consideration for dynasty leagues.

+1

He may not have the measurables, but you could tell from all his UM game tape that he definitely has NFL potential.

Holy crap, Brennan was making some great throws. I understand it was lower level recievers against lower level DBs & LBs, but geez, he looked good with his placement and touch when needed, and putting the ball into the right spot quickly when required.

Looks like his skill transfer is going to be almost lock, stock, & barrel.

I want to see more Brennan. He was making some incredible throws. First play under center he throws a perfect twenty five yard post (to the sideline) and nails the receiver who never breaks stride and catches the ball without looking over his shoulder. He hit at least two more that really caught my attention. He looks like he could easily challenge Collins for the backup role.

Edited by Gros Membres!

Hart looked great. It all depends on if IND wants to keep four backs. I could see him as a nice change of pace/3rd down back for some lucky team if he lands elsewhere. He had a knack for the game and ripped off some nice 10+ yard runs. One particular play jumped out - when he took a hit without a helmet on while digging in for an extra yard.

As for the Colts D, they have been hit hard by injuries at LB. Hagler tore his pec in the off-season and is still recovering, Brackett is nursing a hip injury, and a couple of the back-ups are hurt too. They'll be fine at LB. They are deep at cornerback too. Jackson, Hayden, Jennings, and Hughes are all good DB's. They are paper thin at DT though, especially with the "retirement" of Quinn Pitcock after all of one NFL season. :wacko: This is what they get for never drafting DT's.

Haven't you guys learned the Colts always look like crap in the pre-season? Then they win 12+ games. Who cares . . .

Haven't you guys learned the Colts always look like crap in the pre-season? Then they win 12+ games. Who cares . . .
From Peter King's MMQB yesterday:

Stat of the Week

Meaninglessness of August Dept: Including Sunday night's loss to Washington, the Colts are 2-13 in their last 15 preseason games.

Is there a reason that Raheem Brock is listed as the starting left DE, with Mathis listed as Freeney's backup? I would hope that's a typo.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=depth

I've heard they plan on Brock playing on first downs at DE, and moving inside on passing downs. Kinda like they did two years ago. I think it's a good move. Mathis is too light, and doesn't hold up against the run very well.

I know it is the first pre-season game, but this was exactly my thought watching the game. As someone who was high on A. Gonz this season, it concerned me big time about the Colts desire to play in a two WR formation most of the time. I also was surprised how deep into the game Gonz played in week 1 of the preseason. I know I've dropped him a bit in my rankings.

I've heard they plan on Brock playing on first downs at DE, and moving inside on passing downs. Kinda like they did two years ago. I think it's a good move. Mathis is too light, and doesn't hold up against the run very well.

Thanks, I've been completely out of the loop. I agree that sounds like a decent idea.

I know it is the first pre-season game, but this was exactly my thought watching the game. As someone who was high on A. Gonz this season, it concerned me big time about the Colts desire to play in a two WR formation most of the time. I also was surprised how deep into the game Gonz played in week 1 of the preseason. I know I've dropped him a bit in my rankings.

Yeah, I'd definitely draft Clark over Gonzalez.

Edited by Bill Swerski