[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Olympian?

tazinib1

Gets my vote for historical significance. Owens was simply awesome under tremendous pressure. Sticking it to old Adolph was pretty damn cool.

I don't get this Owens worship. Yeah, stuck it to Adolph, then went back to a country that didn't bother to adopt a civil rights act for 28 more years. It obviously didn't register in significance with the American public at the time the way we've conveniently allowed it to in the revisionist version of things.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact of the matter is that many swimmers are competent in different lenghts and swimming styles, which to me means that if you are a superlative swimmer you have a chance at multiple medals. Not so with many other sports, so really the comparison is unfair. Runners for example can at MOST be competitive in 2 distances. Seeing Phelps dominate by THAT much is really pretty incredible, but remember Spitz did it as well, it's not like this is unchartered territory.

Thorpe definitely has my vote, despite his cheating

Kind of how I look at this myself. Look at USA's basketball team. Total domination and if they win gold, one medal.

Carl Lewis also made the American Olympic team in the long jump and 4X100m relay, but obviously we boycotted those Olympics.

I was also wondering about Darin's point about the swimmers wearing those ultra tight swimming trunks...does that give you less resistance in the water? Spitz didn't have that. And, Spitz set 7 world records in 7 events, so what Phelps is doing, like someone mentioned, isn't exactly uncharted territory.

Also, how does pressure make Owens run slower? :D Dudes, the gun goes off, and you blow away the field with your unmatched speed at the time. :wacko:

And while Phelps' achievements are worthy of a ton of praise, all these "Olympic" and "World" records being beat like nobody's business is probably partially largely due to the technological advancements in swimwear. I jest not.

Fixed.

I wonder what the world records would be if Spitz or Ian Thorpe had those shark-skin Speedo suits.

*Edited to clarify which Thorpe.

Edited by wirehairman

Fixed.

I wonder what the world records would be if Spitz or Ian Thorpe had those shark-skin Speedo suits.

*Edited to clarify which Thorpe.

:wacko:

Those suits reduce drag in the water but the difference between Spitz's 200 freestyle and Phelps is 10 seconds!! Do the suits have littel motors that I don't know about?

Steve Redgrave won gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics, a feat matched by only four others - and he did it in the incredibly hard sport of rowing..

This guy won gold medals at fencing in 6 consecutive Olympics despite missing two Olympics that weren't held because of WW2 thus he spans from 1932 to 1960.

Birgit Fischer won six golds at kayaking at six separate Olympics.

He'd still lose... Phelps is Mr. Universe in comparison due to the training.

and not to mention his diet...I'm sure that would help in his beat down on Spitz

Breakfast: 3 fried egg sandwiches, 2 cups coffee, 5-egg omlette, bowl of grits, 3 pieces of french toast, 3 chocolate chip pancakes

Lunch: 1 pound pasta, 2 ham and cheese sandwiches, energy drink (1,000 calorie)

Dinner: 1 pound pasta, 1 large pizza, energy drink (1,000 calorie)

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Perhaps they were simply trying to generate hype but I've seen more than one expert explain that the field is way more competitive now than it was in 72 so even if he just matched Spitz's 7 golds, it would be a more impressive accomplishment.

He'd still lose.

Now, give him the suit and the same training regime and then see what would happen. Today's athletes have far better training programs then ever before. Just look at phelps and spitz side-by-side... phelps is Mr. Universe in comparison due to the training.

The biggest difference is Mark Spitz and Phelps swallows.

I'll be here all week.