[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

M.Faulk rips S.Jackson

Big Ernie McCracken

If I"m Jackson and I know that I've only got about 5 years to make my $$, I hold out. I can't recall the name of the packer WR who came into camp without a contract and tore up his knee before the season started. Do you think he was compensated as well as he would have been if he had held out?

If I"m Jackson and I know that I've only got about 5 years to make my $$, I hold out. I can't recall the name of the packer WR who came into camp without a contract and tore up his knee before the season started. Do you think he was compensated as well as he would have been if he had held out?

Javon Walker

Remind me again, how much money do you make during your hold out?

When a player holds out, he does not get paid. I'm surprised you didn't know that. However, he also does not risk a career ending injury if he holds out.

The shelf life for football players is pretty limited. Owners are making millions upon millions. I cannot find fault with a player who is looking to capitalize on performing well.

During training camp, the money SJax is missing out on is the fines for holding out while under contract and a minimal training-camp stipend all players get in there. If the holdout extends into the regular season, then he loses 1/17 of the contract for each week missed.

You sign the contract, you fulfill the contract. Holdouts for new contracts are BS no matter how you have performed.

+1

He's worth a lot more than what he is being paid.

When we do more than we are paid for, eventually we will be paid more for what we do.

Let's supposed Jackson gets injured in camp and ends his career. Do you believe that St. Louis doesn't cut him and he lose out on his salary? But wait, the Rams signed a contract...of course teams never cut players whose careers are over even though they signed a contract.

Isn't this the "risk" in risk v. reward?

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to see athletes being "taken" by a savvy team owner and they should absolutely be compensated "fairly". Something just doesn't sit well with it being "ok" for someone to commit to an organization by signing a contract and before it comes to term saying I know I contractually obligated myself to do something but now I don't want to. Like its extortion or something. Either quit or fulfill your obligation regardless of how "unfair" you now feel the deal you negotiated is. How long before a team says to a player, "You didn't perform the way we would have liked so we're not going to pay, or play you again until you agree to take less money for your effort?"