[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those of you that didnt draft a rb early

whomper

I'll post my entire lineup to show what I got after not taking a RB until the 3rd...10 team, performance PPR, serpentine...

QB

Brees

Cutler

RB

Graham

Stewart

LenDale

C. Johnson

Felix

perry

Mendenhall

WR

R Moss

Marshall

Coles

Ginn jr

Rice

K Walter

TE

Winslow

Keller

K

Nugent

D/ST

Seattle

Carolina

I am 2 players over after my last trade and I am probably dropping Seattle and Walter....

Edited by Avernus

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go... i risked the WR strategy in my 300 dollar league... I think it worked out.. OKAY... I was banking on having a Forte... or Thomas Jones... or Michael Turner as RB.. but they got snatched.... and the only way that happened was because one guy was afk.. and the commish gave him 5 rbs...=/... all those RBS with upside...

0.5 points per reception, 0.1 points per rush attempt, 10 yards per point, 6 points per TD

QB, WR, WR, RB , RB, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF

1. (9) Randy Moss

2. (12) Terrell Owens

3. (29) Larry Fitzgerald ---> Trying to Trade for Andre Johnson

4. (32) Drew Brees

5. (49) Kellen Winslow

6. (52) Kevin Smith---> BIG UPSIDE

7. (69) Minnesota

8. (72) Fred Taylor----> Sigh he's my 2nd running back

9. (89) Chester Taylor ---> A.D. Insurance or Trade him to A.D owner

10. (92) Nate Burleson

11. (109) Chris Perry --> NIIIIIIICE RUDI WAS CUT

12. (112) Brett Favre

13. (129) Pittsburgh

14. (132) Jacksonville

15. (149) Kevin Walter

16. (152) Robbie Gould

I thought my Defenses were solid... as I was the first in the league to start picking them.. But on ESPN they are ranked really low....

Not knowing the defensive scoring policy in your league, I have questions...

If you liked the Vikings DST enough to take them before your second RB, why the need for two more after that? 3 Defenses?? As far as I can tell, you only start one DST and you could choose to start up to 3 RBs. Yet, you only ended up with 4 total RB?! Seems to me you should have looked to take more RBs with those picks you used on Ds. As it is, you're counting heavily on a rookie RB on a team that has NOT run the ball well the last few years, a part-timer that was just arrested, a part-time guy who figures to be lucky to get a third of the carries for his team, and a guy who has nearly as many DNPs as carries in the NFL who figures to be a part-timer on an offense in disarray.

You better hope none of those top wideouts you took are anything but spectacular or your $300 is gone like a fart in the wind IMO...

Edited by Delicious_bass

I drafted my first RB in round 4, here is what I ended up with in the end:;

Brandon Jacobs

Earnest Graham

Edgerrin James

Selvin Young

DeAngelo Williams

The rest of my team is as follows:

Drew Brees

Randy Moss

Braylon Edwards

Calvin Johnson

Kellen Winslow

Mason Crosby

Buffalo

Donald Driver

Derrick Mason

Vince Young

Edited by Mystykoekaki

Not going over every roster...but it would appear if you are willing to have E. Graham or T. Jones as one of your RB's, you're golden to grab a few top WR's. Those seem to be "the" RB's that most are getting that go this route.

exactly....Randy Moss seems to be one of the choices here as well because Brady's production could drop significantly and Moss would probably still be the #1 WR...

In my analysis of my Rudi Johnson mistake in the Ladder, I could have gone with any of the following instead of him as my #2.

L. White

J. Jones

M. Forte

S. Young

R. Williams

In taking Maroney as my #1, I did pass on Graham and Jones, but also Parker, Edge, Stewart, R. Brown, and K. Smith.

You're looking at a mix of any of these two, plus a few others....if you don't take one in the first 3 rounds.

The Ladder was the only draft that I went this route, and if Brady/Edwards/Gates have great years, I'll be OK.

In my only other true re-draft I've had so far, I went RB/RB, but then gambled on the WR's, going with Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe as my two starting WR's.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I drafted my first RB in round 4, here is what I ended up with in the end:;

Brandon Jacobs

Earnest Graham

Edgerrin James

Selvin Young

DeAngelo Williams

The rest of my team is as follows:

Drew Brees

Randy Moss

Braylon Edwards

Calvin Johnson

Kellen Winslow

Mason Crosby

Buffalo

Donald Driver

Derrick Mason

Vince Young

I like this team a lot. I do think you got a little lucky though. You must have gotten S. Young, E. James, or E. Graham in the 8th round. That's a big drop. I think you'd be lucky to get any of these guys after the fifth or sixth. I doubt most drafts will go this way, but, yours did, so good job.

Edited by elmanx

I like this team a lot. I do think you got a little lucky though. You must have gotten S. Young, E. James, or E. Graham in the 8th round. That's a big drop. I think you'd be lucky to get any of these guys after the fifth or sixth. I doubt most drafts will go this way, but, yours did, so good job.

yeah, I drafted in the 9th spot and getting that team would have been unfeasible...this is the 1st year where most of the owners in my league took players about where they belong...

In one of my money leagues($300) I had the 7 spot in 12 league. Standard scoring no rec point. I went WR-QB-WR first 3 picks, scared as hell when I did it. Here is how my team ended up. Start QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K and Def.

P Manning

M Schaub

E Graham

T Jones

K Smith

R Rice

R Wayne

M Colston

Reg Brown

Reg Williams

K Walter

D Hester

C Henry

O Daniels

N Kaeding

Az Cardinals

I apologize. The thread said For those of you that DIDNT draft a rb early. Not COULDNT. I agree that Westbrook was hard to pass up, but I don't want game time decisions each week, and I don't have faith enough in him that he will play all season without injury.

why did you post this?

Yeah, people in my league were taking def/te/k runs very soon ...I just sat back and grabbed the value which dropped to me.

Drafting from the 9th spot I was all prepared to go WR-WR ... but in the 2nd round I absolutely could not pass on Marshawn Lynch. By the time my 2nd round pick came around Romo, Brady and Manning were all off the board.

Local is a 12 team PPR performance redrafter. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF, 2 FLEX (only 1 can be RB).

I had the 1.09 spot ... draft started out normal enough

1.01 - LT

1.02 - AP

1.03 - SJax

1.04 - Westbrook

1.05 - Addai

1.06 - Randy Moss

The next two picks were questionable (especially 1.07)

1.07 - Tony Romo :wacko:

1.08 - Marion Barber - nice RB but not a 1st rounder

1.09 - Terrell Owens

I knew that we'd be into tier 2/3 RBs and I really wanted Randy Moss here, but our local WR ho-ho took him at 1.06. That left me considering TO, Wayne or AJ. Decided to give TO a try. So TO was the THIRD Cowboy in a row drafted in the 1st round and IMO the only true 1st rounder.

2,04 - Marshawn Lynch

I was all prepared to take another WR at this spot as I thought the last of the tier 2 RBs would be off the board. But both Tom Brady and Peyton Manningwere selected between my picks. I might have considered Reggie Wayne at this spot be he was already gone. I gave some consideration to AJohnson and Braylon Edwards but I decided I had to take the last tier 2 RB ... and the last RB not facing RBBC.

3.09 - Steve Smith

Okay he's dropped this far because of the 2 game suspension. Without the 2 game suspension he is one of the top 3 or 4 WRs taken. I can't pass him here even though I will have to wait out the first two weeks of the season.

4,04 - Santonio Holmes

I was hoping Roy Williams would fall to me at this spot but he was taken 3 picks earlier. I never really considered a RB like Reggie Bush, Earnest Graham or Selvin Young at this spot as I felt the WR was still the bigger bang for the buck. The guy that drafted directly in front of me was trying to decide between Holmes and FWP and made the wrong decision IMO.

5.09 - Brandon Jacobs

I was targeting Earnest Graham here but he fell 2 spots earlier. Had Roddy White fallen this far I might have taken him. I would also have taken Witten here but he fell about 8 picks earlier. So that left me considering Jacobs, Thomas Jones, LenDale White, Bowe, Maroney or Ricky Williams. Seemed like Jacobs was the clear cut choice.

6.04 - Donovan McNabb

Both McNabb and Garrard are the last of the tier 2 QBs. I would almost always wait on QB but decided I'd take McNabb here. I think McNabb will be a solid fantasy starter this year.

7.09 - Jonathan Stewart

I think he will supplant DeAngelo this year and I liked his value here.

8.04 - Anthony Gonzalez

At this point I only had 3 WRs with one of them being suspended the first 2 games. I need a 3rd WR but what is on the board isn't all that attractive. I rolled the dice here that Gonazalez will be more of a factor that Marvin in Indy.

9.09 - Zach Miller

Okay so I waited a loooooooong time to get a TE and this is what I get. I could have drafted Miller, McMichael, LJ Smith, or Watson. I decided I liked Miller's upside the best.

10.04 - Fred Taylor

I'm not sure why he is still on the board in the 10th round. Even with MJD Fred gets his carries. Heck MJD seems to help Fred as he has tended to stay healthier when he doesn't have to carry the entire load. I was happy to land Fred here.

11.09 - Felix Jones

:D Felix is likely to get some work this year and could surprise, especially if MB III gets hurt.

12.04 - Eli Manning

:D I can't believe I took another QB before drafting my defense. But there it is ... I did. I strongly considered Schaub and Kitna here but finally decided to go with Eli because I perceived that Eli has a softer passing schedule.

13.09 - Philadelphia

Okay I waited a loooooong time to take a defense and the top ones are off the board. I'm hoping that the special teams play can make this a workable pick.

14.04 - Indianapolis Colts

I thought about a lot of other defenses here ... TEN and JAX top of the list. I want two defenses so I can play matchups as I'm worried about the strength of this position on my team.

15.09 -Rob Bironas

I need a kicker

16.04 - LaMont Jordan

Last round flyer. Maybe Maroney gets hurt and Jordan gets the rock.

Final result

DMcnabb

EManning

MLynch

BJacobs

FTaylor

JStewart

FJones

LJordan

TOwens

SSmith

SHolmes

AGonzalez

ZMiller

RBironas

PHI

IND

All in all I am pleased with my team.

Not knowing the defensive scoring policy in your league, I have questions...

If you liked the Vikings DST enough to take them before your second RB, why the need for two more after that? 3 Defenses?? As far as I can tell, you only start one DST and you could choose to start up to 3 RBs. Yet, you only ended up with 4 total RB?! Seems to me you should have looked to take more RBs with those picks you used on Ds. As it is, you're counting heavily on a rookie RB on a team that has NOT run the ball well the last few years, a part-timer that was just arrested, a part-time guy who figures to be lucky to get a third of the carries for his team, and a guy who has nearly as many DNPs as carries in the NFL who figures to be a part-timer on an offense in disarray.

You better hope none of those top wideouts you took are anything but spectacular or your $300 is gone like a fart in the wind IMO...

I was pick 9/10.. so my consecutive picks may be a little out of order depending on what i felt the ONE guy after me was gonna do.. ie. Taking Minn. Before my RB2...At that point the RBS available were Chris Johnson, Lendale White, Fred Taylor, Ronnie Brown, De angelo Williams, ricky williams, Julius jones... I didn't like any of them with my 7 and 8th pick. I couldnt decide on an RB2 from the ones available anyways so I figured even if he did pick 1-2 of the ones left.. it would make my decision easier... he ended up taking chris johnson... didn't help much so I took fred taylor. and HOPED they would be un taken next time around.. However all the owners picked up 5th Rbs... and took em all.. did not think they'd take so many rbs...

It was a mistake to take a defense at that point looking in hindsight... However it's IMPOSSIBLE to foresee what other owners will do.. I gambled that they would be a little noobish.. At that point since I had started with WRS... most other owners had 4 Rbs.. a qb 1-2 Wrs.... I Expected them to start on their Tight Ends, WR2-3s, quarterbacks And defenses... So i decided to jump on MINN.

Turns out I had planned for a 2 rb 3 Wr 1 flex draft... they changed it to 2 , 2 and 1 flex... so WR wasn't AS important.. and In my practice drafts.. some of the expected tendancies were off... which owned me.... but I still have trade potential with my 3 top 6 wrs ^^

As far as being able to potentially start 3 rbs... it's a ppr league so I had always wanted to get stud WR or a receiving RB if i could...

Getting 3 defenses was for trading purposes.

Also being a late pick.. my philosophy is this.. i can still pull out a good team... if I am first to make all the runs... After all the top rbs are gone.. I go first to snatch WRS... T.O and Moss... surprised that fitz dropped to me 3rd... And brees 4th... to start the Qb runs... i got a few bites on that one... then I went for kellen winslow.. got a few bites on that one.. then I made a move for Minn 7th.. as far as Im concerned it was just an unlucky draft...

I ended up with top Qb (brees) + favre... 3 of the top 6 WRS, IMO the top TE, IMO the top DEF,,,, cant have everything.... so with RBs... I had the gambles that Could explode... gotta do this to win leagues..

but in the end.. im getting Michael turner for chester taylor from the A.D. owner... him having drafted 5 rbs.. gives him space to give turner for A.D. backup.

Trading TO + taylor fred + kevin smith for Westbrook + calvin

so the end result is

Brees/ Favre

Moss/ Fitz/ calvin/ burleson/ walter

Westbrook/ turner/ slaton/ perry

winslow

minn jax

Edited by michaelman

If you draft with a bunch of morans, stuff like that will happen and you'll look smarter than you actually are.

Drafting with morans can throw off the whole draft too. It makes it hard to plan as the draft goes on too. I like a little predictability.

I've kind of found myself in this situation, but in a different way, I took Jackson early with the 7th pick, but then I went WRs and QBs for a long time after that, and I've found myself starting just the one RB, with Chris Johnson and Deuce Mccalister as my only RB depth, but with insane amounts of WR depth, starting 3 of them. I'm just hoping I can make a trade before the season starts or deuce or johnson can break out.

I've kind of found myself in this situation, but in a different way, I took Jackson early with the 7th pick, but then I went WRs and QBs for a long time after that, and I've found myself starting just the one RB, with Chris Johnson and Deuce Mccalister as my only RB depth, but with insane amounts of WR depth, starting 3 of them. I'm just hoping I can make a trade before the season starts or deuce or johnson can break out.

Steven Jackson at 1.07? :wacko: I've never seen him there in any draft.

Nice thread, seeing some similarity to my draft. Had 12th pick in 14 team PPR. Some of the owners had picks that made me scratch my head, like taking DST half-way through the draft. Anywho...here's what I ended up with:

01.012 WR Reggie Wayne

02.017 WR Andre Johnson

03.040 RB Earnest Graham

04.045 WR Santonio Holmes

05.068 TE Kellen Winslow

06.073 WR Calvin Johnson

07.096 QB Jake Delhomme

08.101 RB Chris Johnson

09.124 RB Ray Rice

10.129 TE Owen Daniels

11.152 DST Baltimore Ravens

12.157 K Mason Crosby

High-tiered WR/TE were there almost every time, so I passed on some RBs, hoping that I could trade a few off for a RB to back up Earnest Graham. If Ray Rice or Chris Johnson pull through though, I think I'm sitting in a good spot. However, I'm still jittery about not having a more solid RB core by pre-season projections.

Anyone think Earnest Graham is a tier 2 quality back, instead of a tier 3? If so, that'd calm me down a bit.

*thud*

Edited by thud

Nice thread, seeing some similarity to my draft. Had 12th pick in 14 team PPR. Some of the owners had picks that made me scratch my head, like taking DST half-way through the draft. Anywho...here's what I ended up with:

01.012 WR Reggie Wayne

02.017 WR Andre Johnson

03.040 RB Earnest Graham

04.045 WR Santonio Holmes

05.068 TE Kellen Winslow

06.073 WR Calvin Johnson

07.096 QB Jake Delhomme

08.101 RB Chris Johnson

09.124 RB Ray Rice

10.129 TE Owen Daniels

11.152 DST Baltimore Ravens

12.157 K Mason Crosby

High-tiered WR/TE were there almost every time, so I passed on some RBs, hoping that I could trade a few off for a RB to back up Earnest Graham. If Ray Rice or Chris Johnson pull through though, I think I'm sitting in a good spot. However, I'm still jittery about not having a more solid RB core by pre-season projections.

Anyone think Earnest Graham is a tier 2 quality back, instead of a tier 3? If so, that'd calm me down a bit.

*thud*

I think for a 14 team league, that roster is nails. I mean, what are you supposed to do? Take mediocre RBs over stud WRs just so you can say you've got one?

I think for a 14 team league, that roster is nails. I mean, what are you supposed to do? Take mediocre RBs over stud WRs just so you can say you've got one?

Thanks for the thumbs-up. I'm definitely sweating this first week though. First time I attempted the WR WR RB picking. Hopefully it pays off, but WRs can have some nasty hot/cold streaks.

3rd, pick, the advantage was RB first (Purple Jesus) and then 2nd colston, 3rd s. holmes, 4th was usually a TE for me, but he top 3 were gone and I saw T. jones there, 5th I got Reggie Bush (I am in a PPR, wierd to see him that late) and 6th got R. White, 7th Julies Jones (my only draft mistake, other than Hassleback in the 9th maybe)