[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those of you that didnt draft a rb early

whomper

Well last year WRs caught more TDs than RBs ran.

And it just looks worse for RBs as the list goes further on.

Q: What does everyone think - Is this a one-year fluke or a changing of the culture of the NFL? In other words, should we expect similar pass-happy numbers from a lot of teams, or will things revert back to how they were pre-2007?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: What does everyone think - Is this a one-year fluke or a changing of the culture of the NFL? In other words, should we expect similar pass-happy numbers from a lot of teams, or will things revert back to how they were pre-2007?

With the illegal contact enforced last year, it seems WRs benefited. But with force outs not being in the NFL anymore, it could cut the numbers. I will just have to wait and see.

I have always been a RB/RB guy and decided to try the WR/WR path. Especially as the league starts 3 WR plus a WR/RB, PPR. I got the 10th spot in ten team league. I think it went really well, of course i am very slim at RB but I think the top 10 trio of WRs will more then make up for it.

1.10 R. Wayne

2.01 T. O

3.10 L. Fitzgerald (why he was still available, I have no idea)

4.01 R. Bush

5.12 K Winslow

6.01 J. Stewart

7.12 D. McNabb

8.01 J. Crotchery

9.12 J. Jones

10.01 Chicago

11.12 J. Kitna

12.01 D. Mason

13.12 S. Slaton

14.01 N. Kaeding

I

1) H.O.T.

picked ninth and went with Brady, Reggie Wayne and then Thomas Jones.

2) Faultline

picked tenth and went with Brady, Andre Johnson, Thomas Jones, and then Felix Jones.

Drafting QB's in the first round is new for me this year. :wacko:

This was a 16 team IDP draft, but in MSHB II I had the 12 and ended up with these RBs after going Wayne, Owens, Beason first three rounds :

4.05 (53) Thomas Jones

6.05 (85) Kevin Smith

20.05 (309) Tatum Bell

22.05 (341) Tim Hightower

31.12 (492) Chris Perry

Also ended up with Berrian, Chambers and Walter, so may go 4 Wide some weeks.

THIS is my exact strategy.. unless im top 4... or a top 4 rb (my own rankings) comes to me... Im picking WR WR.. then romo or brees in 3rd if available.

I drafted 3 times so far and it's worked like a charm... Usually what ends up happening.. is..

I pick WR WR QB WR.. or WR WR WR TE... it's usually MOSS, Andre johnson, Brees/ Colston

Now in round 3, 4, 5... the other guys that have their stud RB1 and RB2... will start going for WRs... but usually at this point there are only WR2's and sleepers to choose from... AND THEY WILL BE FIGHTING FOR THEM

which leaves me all alone to take the guys i believe in.. like mcfadden... Kevin smith.. and thomas jones... and chris perry... ricky williams... selvin young..

then there are the WHAT IFS

What if other people took those RBS?... Then I'll see if there are stud TE's and WR2's left and Snatch them instead... in Drafts it's all about value and I can easily trade that great value guy for a RB later.

What if other people were going WR WR just like me?... then better RBS will be available... Either way unless its one of those top 4 RBS.. I don't believe in RBs so much... this also depends on your league... My league starts 3 WRS and a TE/WR.. and only 2 RBs.. so WRS are already more important for me.... Don't tell too many people about this strategy... ^^

Great thread. I'm in a 10 team league and also did not take a RB in the first round, for the first time that I can remember in 10 years or so. I was particularly aggressive as I had the #6 pick but just couldn't get myself to use a first rounder on what was left (Barber, Lynch, Portis). I grabbed Moss, expecting some others behind me to also go WR or QB, but only Brady and TO went before my pick in the 2nd round.

At that point I had to take the best RB on the board, in J. Lewis (almost vomited). Andre Johnson fell to me in the 3rd and I had to take him and then grabbed Witten in the fourth. My next four picks were RB.

Not so sure about my strategy in retrospect. Probably should have taken Barber or Lynch at #6, but we'll see. At least I have two top 5 WRs and the best TE on the board (basically another #2WR IMO).

If jamal Lewis was the guy available I would have gone with a "better value" guy like another stud WR... Lewis has very tough schedule

I decided to mix it up in one of my leagues as well (picked #8/12, no ppr, massive bonuses for long TDs at all positions)

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

I figure that two of my RBs will pan out. If not, then I could try trading Moss for a top RB after Steve Smith returns. WR-WR-WR is something I've never done before, and probably won't do again, unless this works out.

I decided to mix it up in one of my leagues as well (picked #8/12, no ppr, massive bonuses for long TDs at all positions)

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

I figure that two of my RBs will pan out. If not, then I could try trading Moss for a top RB after Steve Smith returns. WR-WR-WR is something I've never done before, and probably won't do again, unless this works out.

i dont like palmer at 4... strategically i like to HOG all the best players of each category.... I woulda gone with another Stud WR like... brandon marshall... or who ever else was like.. maybe a torry holt/ plaxico burress... very high trade value when people realize they have weak WRS... or even straight into the JASON WITTEN/ KELLEN winslow

this is my ideal draft (1 qb, 2 wr, 2 rb, 1 w/r, 1 te/wr, 1 te)

Moss

Braylon/ Wayne/ Andre Johnson

Romo/ Brees

Jason Witten (if i get Romo) if I get brees I can wait 1-2 rounds later for Shockey and pick another WR... (brandon marshall etc)

Santonio Holmes/ Calvin Johnson/ greg jennings

Kevin Smith

Thomas Jones

de angelo williams

etc...

a QB this early is fine... like the top 4... brady manning romo brees.... but after those 4... all the qbs basically produce the same

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

WR's in 1 - 3 and none after? 7 RB's?

Drafting #10 in ten team league with a modified snake 1-10,10-1,10-1,1-10,...

Scoring is performance, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/K/D, can start a TE as a WR

Moss

Owens

Colston

R. Grant

E. Graham

W. McGahee

Hasselbeck

Berrian

Reggie Williams

Deuce

Rudi

Bulger

Devin Hester

Bryant Johnson

Kevin Jones

Jerry Porter

GB K

Hou D

Starters will be

Hasslecrack

Grant/Graham

Moss/TO/Colston

GB K

Hou D

I am pretty happy with it, and was very surprised at the quality of my RB's.

update for Faultline.

picking 1.11 in 12 team draft.

Went Wayne at 1.11 and Fitzgerald at 2.02

In 3rd round I went with Stewart as he was the last rb in my tier there and there was still 3 wr's I like for the 4th. 4.02 I picked Roy Williams. 5th round, my top te's were gone so went with Kevin Smith and my 6th round pick went with Maroney. Figured 6th round is real good value for him

Skipped RB in the first 2 rounds for the first time ever: (wouldn't consider in non-ppr leagues personally)

Picked 10 of 12 in PPR league (Banzai draft format):

(1) Moss

(2) Wayne

(3.03) Bush (outright steal at 27 overall in PPR)

(4) Marshall

(5) Selvin Young

(6) Ronnie Brown (was regretting this pick for awhile, knowing he wasn't technically the starter as of now)

(7) Jay Cutler

(8) Chris Johnson

(9) Ricky Williams (shocked I ended with him)

(10) Ted Ginn

(11) Todd Heap

(12) Pitt D

(13) Aaron Rodgers

(14) Andre Hall

(15) Pierre Thomas

Will have to consider this strategy on a year-2-year basis, but love it this year with the plentiful amount of talent at RB Rounds 5+

Edited by cory_n_az

Very Interesting Thread. I will say this, there is no way I don't pick up a RB1 in my first two picks. You're really taking a chance on getting shafted. I'm looking at some teams draft picks and thinking what were the other guys in your league thinking when they were making their picks? If you're in a league with a bunch of morons, yeah you could get away with not drafting a RB in the first two rounds. But assuming you're in a competitive league with guys that know what they are doing, you're going to be depending on questionable backs to hold down your team like Maroney, L. White, T. Jones, Jacobs, etc. who should be left over come the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. I definately wouldn't be comfortable rolling with those guys as RB1's.

And another thing, since last years QB's and WR's took off and hit historic fantasy numbers, guys have adjusted accordingly and are now picking QB's and WR's higher than ever. I personally think last year was a strange occurance and inflated fantasy stats will come back down to earth. There is no way Brady, Edwads and Big Ben (just to name a few) match their TD totals of last year. When that happens, the teams that picked QB's and WR's early and took chances on unproven RB's will wish they hadn't.

1:10 in a 12 team league. Took Moss at 10 and Peyton at 15.

Ended up with RB's of Jonathan Stewart, Thomas Jones, Fred Taylor and Lamont Jordan.

Long time since I went this way first two picks, but at 8 or beyond I believe you take the BPA and hope for the best.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

i dont like palmer at 4... strategically i like to HOG all the best players of each category.... I woulda gone with another Stud WR like... brandon marshall... or who ever else was like.. maybe a torry holt/ plaxico burress... very high trade value when people realize they have weak WRS... or even straight into the JASON WITTEN/ KELLEN winslow

a QB this early is fine... like the top 4... brady manning romo brees.... but after those 4... all the qbs basically produce the same

I agree with the last part. The difference here is my projections. My projection of Carson Palmer is higher than mainstream (my top QB tier has 5), and I was confident that he was not going to last until my next pick. Also, for what it's worth, DD had him as by far my best choice at #4. However, going back over it, I think that Palmer was probably my worst pick.

I actually could have taken B. Marshall at #4, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on WR-WR-WR-WR. Another problem is my leauge is not filled with the most active traders.

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

WR's in 1 - 3 and none after? 7 RB's?

Yes! In my mind this is the only way to effectively pull off WR-WR. You have to bank on your studs, sacrifice WR depth, and get a lot of RBs with upside in the hope that two pan out. Here's my gameplan if I try this again. I would only try it if I pick late (9-12 in a serpentine draft)

Round 1 WR

Round 2 top tier QB (brady, manning, romo, brees)

Round 3 WR

Round 4 top tier TE (witten, gates, gonzo, winslow) or WR

Round 5-11 (6 RBS and one WR/TE[depends on what happened in round 4], focus on RB's with a lot of upside, e.g. C. Taylor, avoid merely solid guys like F. Taylor, W. Dunn, J. Fargas, etc.)

Round 12 backup QB

Fill out roster with rest of picks.

Not saying this is the best plan, but it's what I was thinking. We'll see how it works. The basic idea is that if I pick enough RBs with upside, I'll get lucky with two.

Edited by elmanx

I ended up in this position in a few leagues this year. for instance, in one league I started with wayne, fitzgerald and mcgahee :wacko: as keepers and then the 12th pick of 12. went thomas jones and matt forte at my first turn (willie parker and kevin smith were also available and made me think hard), and then chris johnson at the next turn. kevin jones late. I dunno. can't feel great about that group, but I don't feel terrible either.

Here's my draft in order

1.08 R. Moss

2.05 R. Wayne

3.08 S. Smith

4.05 C. Palmer

5.08 S. Young

6.05 J. Stewart

7.08 K. Smith

8.05 M. Morris

9.08 R. Rice

10.05 V. Young

11.08 J. Norwood

12.05 C. Bears

13.08 L. Washington

14.05 R. McMichael

15.08 A. Bradshaw

16.05 J. Scobee

I like this team. If you hit with Morris, yer money.

Very Interesting Thread. I will say this, there is no way I don't pick up a RB1 in my first two picks. You're really taking a chance on getting shafted.

Try it sometime. Going RB/RB and having one of them go down pretty much assures you may be good enough to just miss the playoffs. What's fun about this is the way it swings the draft. When they're fat at RB and the 4th round comes along, it hits pretty hard that all the good WR's are gone. They panic, and as the so-so WR's fly off the board it make the panic worse. I went WR/WR/WR last year and just barely made the playoffs. It was fun having three monster WR's on your side every week. There's a lot of teams that tried the WR/WR route this year, and when two people do at the same time, it really makes them panic. It'll be interesting to analyze this strategy once the show starts.

Edited by Thews40

I drafted 12th in a 12 team redraft standard scoring. I have a few risky picks, but there is a lot of upside at RB. I also went wr/wr from the 15 spot (drafted R. Wayne 1st, but traded for A. Johnson and 3rd rd keeper rights) in my keeper league(that team in sig).

My team:

1. Moss

2. Owens

3. T. Jones

4. Roy Williams

5. J. Stewart

6. R. Rice

7. C Perry (risky)

8. Ricky Williams

9. D. Mcnabb

10. Reggie Brown

11. M Shaub

12. Eddie Royal (reach)

13. R. McMichael

14. S. Slaton

15. Reggie Williams (another R. Williams, lol)

16. Seattle

17. M. Prater

Edited by Purple Hippos

I agree with the last part. The difference here is my projections. My projection of Carson Palmer is higher than mainstream (my top QB tier has 5), and I was confident that he was not going to last until my next pick. Also, for what it's worth, DD had him as by far my best choice at #4. However, going back over it, I think that Palmer was probably my worst pick.

Same here. As I mentioned above, I took Palmer at 4.03 after starting with Owens, Wayne, and Parker. I really wish I had taken either Marshall or Holmes there and then waited until a few rounds later to pick up a pair of QBs like Shaub, Delhomme, Gerrard, Rodgers, etc. This draft took place the second preseason game when things started going downhill fast for Palmer and the Bengals, and I made a big mistake ranking him so far above the rest of the pack after last year's debacle.

Here we go... i risked the WR strategy in my 300 dollar league... I think it worked out.. OKAY... I was banking on having a Forte... or Thomas Jones... or Michael Turner as RB.. but they got snatched.... and the only way that happened was because one guy was afk.. and the commish gave him 5 rbs...=/... all those RBS with upside...

0.5 points per reception, 0.1 points per rush attempt, 10 yards per point, 6 points per TD

QB, WR, WR, RB , RB, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF

1. (9) Randy Moss

2. (12) Terrell Owens

3. (29) Larry Fitzgerald ---> Trying to Trade for Andre Johnson

4. (32) Drew Brees

5. (49) Kellen Winslow

6. (52) Kevin Smith---> BIG UPSIDE

7. (69) Minnesota

8. (72) Fred Taylor----> Sigh he's my 2nd running back

9. (89) Chester Taylor ---> A.D. Insurance or Trade him to A.D owner

10. (92) Nate Burleson

11. (109) Chris Perry --> NIIIIIIICE RUDI WAS CUT

12. (112) Brett Favre

13. (129) Pittsburgh

14. (132) Jacksonville

15. (149) Kevin Walter

16. (152) Robbie Gould

I thought my Defenses were solid... as I was the first in the league to start picking them.. But on ESPN they are ranked really low....

Finally some similar minded drafters. I drafted Moss & Owens, then ended up with RBs of J Lewis, T Jones, Chris Johnson, R Rice, D McAllister, T Hightower and J Forsett. 4 rookies RBs total. Someone has to work out by midseason to backup or replace J Lewis & T Jones.

I have been keeping up with this thread for a while. I also decided my best bet was to do things a little different this year. Each of the last three years I have been burned by a first round RB that got injured or just didn't give me the points that I thuoght he should. This certain league I am playing in this year is 14 teams, PPR, roster is WR heavy: QB, WR, WR, RB, TE, WR/RB (Flex), K, DEF. I know this will probably have many of you knowing without a doubt that I will lose my league, but I had to try it.

I had third pick, and I just couldn't worry about Westbrook all year. I have my doubts with Jackson and Addai. So....I took Moss. I think his upside is just better than the rest. Here is what I ended up with, and I am pretty happy. Sure, RB is not solid, but there will be injuries and we can only carry four bench spots, so no one can hoarde them. If anything, it will make this year interesting.

Kitna

Moss

Fitz

T. Jones

V. Davis

Calvin Johnson

Akers

San Diego

Bench

Forte, Burleson, D. Mason, Rivers

first of all.. in ppr.. u take Westbrook #2...............

and your QBS might be the two worst QBs that get play time.

This WR strat was intended for a draft position where u could not get a solid guy.

And that was in a normal league.. if you're in a PPR league... everything changes....

I apologize. The thread said For those of you that DIDNT draft a rb early. Not COULDNT. I agree that Westbrook was hard to pass up, but I don't want game time decisions each week, and I don't have faith enough in him that he will play all season without injury.

first of all.. in ppr.. u take Westbrook #2...............

and your QBS might be the two worst QBs that get play time.

This WR strat was intended for a draft position where u could not get a solid guy.

And that was in a normal league.. if you're in a PPR league... everything changes....