[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those of you that didnt draft a rb early

whomper

Who did you end up with and where did you get him ? I had my big money main local draft last night. I had the 8th pick of 12. I had a loose gameplan because there are some very unconventional drafters in this league and sometimes you strategy gets blown to bits early. I have always been a staunch RB/RB guy . Occasionally I would go RB/WR but I cant remember a draft in a long time when I didnt take a rb in the first 2 rds.

I decided to take Brady at 1.08. On the way back I took Braylon Edwards. I pretty much though 3rd rd I would definetly go RB and this decision is debateable but in the 3rd Steve Smith was still there so I grabbed him. I dont think in my life I ever went 3 rds without a rb. In the 4th I grabbed Earnest Graham. 6th Fred taylor . 7th Ray Rice. Later in the draft grabbed Ahman and Maurice Morris.

My question is this. To those that waited who did you end up with and was it your plan going in or did you just see value when it got to you at a different position and decided to make due later and let the chips fall where they may at RB ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 1.10 and went Brady/Edwards as well. This was in the Ladder.

Then, I made some bad decisions in my opinion: Maroney in the 3rd, Rudi Johnson in the 5th, and Selvin Young in the 6th. The problem is, I didn't get any gems in the other rounds. My 4th round pick was Gates.

I have to say...let the chips fall, and these chips were ugly.

Who did you end up with and where did you get him ? I had my big money main local draft last night. I had the 8th pick of 12. I had a loose gameplan because there are some very unconventional drafters in this league and sometimes you strategy gets blown to bits early. I have always been a staunch RB/RB guy . Occasionally I would go RB/WR but I cant remember a draft in a long time when I didnt take a rb in the first 2 rds.

I decided to take Brady at 1.08. On the way back I took Braylon Edwards. I pretty much though 3rd rd I would definetly go RB and this decision is debateable but in the 3rd Steve Smith was still there so I grabbed him. I dont think in my life I ever went 3 rds without a rb. In the 4th I grabbed Earnest Graham. 6th Fred taylor . 7th Ray Rice. Later in the draft grabbed Ahman and Maurice Morris.

My question is this. To those that waited who did you end up with and was it your plan going in or did you just see value when it got to you at a different position and decided to make due later and let the chips fall where they may at RB ?

Well, that strat is a bit too risky for me (besides I couldn't pass up Sjax when he fell to me at 1.11) but I think Graham could be money this season. Snagging him in the 4th seems like decent value. I don't really like Ahman or Mo, but with an injury or two and some WW luck...you could end up with a solid #2RB. GL

A few weeks ago, I drafted Terrell Owens at 1.10 and then Reggie Wayne on the way back at 2.03 in a 12 team redraft with PPR. It was the first time I didn't take at least one RB in the first two rounds as well. I took Willie Parker at 3.10, Carson Palmer at 4.03, and Selvin Young at 5.10.

That was my plan going into the draft if LT, ADP, Westbrook, SJax, Addai, Gore, Portis, and Lynch were all off the board and they were. In retrospect, I probably should have included Barber in that group, but I didn't for various reasons of my own. My though process was that I wanted to walk out of the first two rounds with a pair of bona fide studs rather than build a balanced team of solid, but unspectacular players which is what usually ends up happening when you pick near the end of the first round.

I had Parker and Young targeted from the very beginning. I believed (and still do) that they had the talent and supporting casts to produce like RB1s. Obviously, a lot of that will depend on the number of touches they get, whether they're pulked at the goalline, their ability to stay healthy, and how well their rebuilding offensive lines perform, but when it comes down to talent vs. situation, I'll roll with talent every time which is why I passed up projected workhorses like Thomas Jones, Kevin Smith, and Matt Forte.

We'll find out soon enough how well (or how poorly) my strategy works in practice.

If I was sitting at the end of a draft I was thinking of going WR/WR then WR/RB. The problem with this draft strategy is that you have to wait on a QB and you will have to hope you get high risk high reward RBs. I would target T. Jones, Young, K.Smith, Forte, Maroney, R.Williams, Stewart & D.Williams and C.Perry. You would have to get at least 4 of these guys if not 5. You will also have to draft them a round earlier then they normally are going. You should be able to do this because you will be set at WRs with 2 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 15 or 20.

Then, I made some bad decisions in my opinion: Maroney in the 3rd, Rudi Johnson in the 5th, and Selvin Young in the 6th. The problem is, I didn't get any gems in the other rounds. My 4th round pick was Gates.

You're gonna like that Maroney pick - brilliant pick if you ask me. You just got a top 10 RB in the 3rd round, that my friend is VALUE.

I did the same thing with the 8th pick. Brady/Edwards/Maroney/Gates. You can't have it all, but IMO it's worth going after a top 5 TE in a mandatory TE league.

To answer your question Whomper, when you bring two scary monsters to the table every week, it works a lot of the time. Edwards/S.Smith can net you 4 TD's on more than a few weeks. IMO if you have strong RB's, then you have weak WR#2 and WR#3. I'd rather have so-so RB's and strong WR's... especially this year.

I think he bounces back big this year and possibly ends up pretty close to that.

I just don't see top 10 :wacko: LT, AP, Westy, Addai, Jackson, Gore, Barber, Portis, Lynch, MJD, LJ, and I'd even tack on J.Lewis, E.Graham, Bush, Turner and McGahee as guys likely to finish ahead of him. While I definitely think the Patriots will run a lot more, I think RBBC is very likely and i'd rather get the value in Jordan or Morris. To be a top 10 RB the player needs touches, Maroney has not shown an ability or desire to be a workhorse/feature back in the NFL and split time in college with MBIII. OF Gilthorp's 3 RB choices he posted, S.Young would be the only one who might crack the top 10 IMO :D

In AOTAOP I took Michael Turner at 3.12 and then backed him up with Norwood. Later on I took the rookie Kevin Smith with the 5th rookie pick.

That league doesn't require you start a RB and WR's score well. There I traded the 1.01 pick and took took S Smith/B Marshall/Brees before the suspensions. I did get Jamal Lewis at 5.01 and Ricky in the 9th.

Well, you can't win a championship having the same projections as everyone else. One thing is for certain - from the top 10 last year, only half will repeat. I think Maroney is way undervalued this season.

I just think it's a stretch to expect top 10 from a guy in a RBBC. And if he struggles BB will gladly turn to Morris. I'm just saying it's tough to be top 10 RB when you're not a feature back, unless you get the goal line work or are used frequently as a receiver. Maroney just isn't a guy who's going to touch the football 300 times and IMO that makes it hard to be a top 10 back.

I drafted 1.9 and took Randy Moss and took Brees with the Wraparound with the intention of going Thomas Jones and another RB with my next 2 picks...

Thomas Jones ended up going 3.8, one pick away and I ended up with earnest Graham......my local isjn't usually RB heavy, but this draft it was a bit heavier than usual and I ended up platooning a bunch of young, upside backs after a trade....

Graham, LenDale, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Perry and Mendenhall....after trading FWP for Coles, Stewart and Chris Johnson ...

my team is a little bumpy, but I still have 2 stud WR's, a stud TE and a stud QB with several upside RB's that should allow me to strike gold at least with one of them...

I hate to be the one that has to rain here but those teams look terrible. You guys are in trouble. Chalk it up to learning I suppose, but teams with those guys as your only RB's do not make the playoffs, unless Brady breaks last year's record.

Maroney is overrated by those that still take him decently high. He looks like Stephen Jackson but runs like Rudi. He simply isn't as talented as most of us thought he was.

Maroney is overrated by those that still take him decently high. He looks like Stephen Jackson but runs like Rudi. He simply isn't as talented as most of us thought he was.

Maroney was sorely overrated last year and has become a favorite consolation RB for those who wait. I personally think he will disappoint.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

This was a 16 team IDP draft, but in MSHB II I had the 12 and ended up with these RBs after going Wayne, Owens, Beason first three rounds :

4.05 (53) Thomas Jones

6.05 (85) Kevin Smith

20.05 (309) Tatum Bell

22.05 (341) Tim Hightower

31.12 (492) Chris Perry

Also ended up with Berrian, Chambers and Walter, so may go 4 Wide some weeks.

I hate to be the one that has to rain here but those teams look terrible. You guys are in trouble. Chalk it up to learning I suppose, but teams with those guys as your only RB's do not make the playoffs, unless Brady breaks last year's record.

That depends. The AOTAOP league referenced above of the top 30 players 4 were RB's and 10 were WR's. There you can start 5 WR's and 0 RB's. It depends on several factors such as scoring rookies.

I'm still shaking my head......I can't believe some of you guys are getting Selvin Young in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. :wacko: I think he's easily top 10 RB consideration, especially with their rookie going down for the season. And I realize it's Michael Turner's first year starting.....but have you seen him run? And how much running do you think he's going to be doing with a rookie QB at the helm?? A ton. Another possible top 10 RB.

Big Ern had a good list going there......but out of those 15....you have to figure at least 5 of them won't play all 16 games for whatever reason.....right? And that is a crapshoot. So even a "lower rated RB1" teamed up with the likes of Brady and Moss or Edwards in your lineup more than makes up for not having a top 5 draft pick.....IMO.

**Edited to add: I realize drafts with IDP can push some of these RBs down the list.....I was mostly referring to redraft standard performance leagues. :D

Edited by SteelBunz