[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

buying a URL

muck

I know we've discussed this a couple of times before ...

Here's the business proposition.

My business ownes a URL -- "www.___________partners.com"

I've contacted the guy that ownes "www.____________.com" about selling it to me, allowing me to drop about 40% of the length of the URL; easier for emails, etc. FWIW, the url I'm interested in buying is 10 characters long; the one I use now is 17 characters long.

I don't have a lot of traffic, etc., so I have no interest in paying the guy the $10k he asked for ... but, I would maybe pay a grand or so. Am I expecting too low of a price? Am I nuts for wanting to spend any money at all on something like this for the business? :wacko:

In case I wasn't clear when I said I already owned "www.____________partners.com" that I do own "something else". Also, I was the one that originally reached out to him about selling it a year or so ago; he dug up the old traffic and asked me today if I was still interested ... hence my post here ...

In case I wasn't clear when I said I already owned "www.____________partners.com" that I do own "something else". Also, I was the one that originally reached out to him about selling it a year or so ago; he dug up the old traffic and asked me today if I was still interested ... hence my post here ...

I don't know how this extra info would change my opinion in anyway.

You can buy a URL for $10.

If you want to buy a 'special' one for $1000, go for it rich guy.

Sounds like he is strapped for cash and wants to make a quick sale if he is digging up old stuff and questioning interest. You could probably get it for a lot lower than his original quote. A LOT lower.

As for the something else.... you complained that the one you have is too long. So something else would be a lot shorter and easier to manage and you could ditch the something else you already have.

The guy has it up now with all sorts of links to companies websites that are related to what _____________ is.

...to put a finer point on it, imagine that _______________ = www.chairmaker.com ... and that my firm name was Chairmaker Partners ... and that he has a website that is up and has links to all sorts of furniture makers / retailers that he presumably gets some money for having set up ...

So, if he sold the URL to me, he would be giving up whatever income he's getting (regardless of how modest it is) and would be looking to me to pay him enough so that it is in his interest to no longer receive the advertising annuity he's currently getting.

...make sense?

I've contacted the guy that ownes "www.____________.com" about selling it to me, allowing me to drop about 40% of the length of the URL; easier for emails, etc. FWIW, the url I'm interested in buying is 10 characters long; the one I use now is 17 characters long.

I don't have a lot of traffic, etc., so I have no interest in paying the guy the $10k he asked for ... but, I would maybe pay a grand or so. Am I expecting too low of a price? Am I nuts for wanting to spend any money at all on something like this for the business? :D

hmmmmmmmm......"www.

homosexual

partners.com"

:wacko:

I don't have a lot of traffic, etc., so I have no interest in paying the guy the $10k he asked for ... but, I would maybe pay a grand or so. Am I expecting too low of a price? Am I nuts for wanting to spend any money at all on something like this for the business? :wacko:

If your intentions for this new URL is for reducing your typing by seven characters on email addresses, then I would save the cash and just stick with what you have. But if you plan on using the new URL (and its resulting traffic, search engine rankings, etc.) for advertising purposes, then I guess you'd have to do some kind of cost/benefit analysis of the URL and how much business you think it'll produce for you.

He's contacting you because he wants to sell. Offer him somewhere between a number he wouldn't care about and what you'd actually pay.

Also, the page he has now that shows search results is a parked domain. He is a "domain squatter", which isn't illegal... only unethical in internet hippie land.

But if you have your business name as a registered trademark, you could probably get him evicted from the domain with some expense on your part. Weigh that against what you are offering him.

Seriously, tell him to get bent. I'm sure that you can come up with a URL that isn't in use and/or someone isn't trying to cornhole you over.

The guy has it up now with all sorts of links to companies websites that are related to what _____________ is.

...to put a finer point on it, imagine that _______________ = www.chairmaker.com ... and that my firm name was Chairmaker Partners ... and that he has a website that is up and has links to all sorts of furniture makers / retailers that he presumably gets some money for having set up ...

So, if he sold the URL to me, he would be giving up whatever income he's getting (regardless of how modest it is) and would be looking to me to pay him enough so that it is in his interest to no longer receive the advertising annuity he's currently getting.

...make sense?

you might try www.AAAAAAAAAchairmaker.com

that way it will get listed first on the internets

Edited by wiegie