[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Death Magnetic

The Vatican Hitsquad

I have to start off with I signed this band off as soon as I heard teh Black album. I knew at that point, thanks to Bob Rock, that the band was gone. You could hear traces of a great album on that cd, but the simplistic lameness of Enter Sandman and Nothign Else Matters really just pushed that band over to the MTV TRL crowd. Load and Reload were even lamer releases, CDs I never bought but friends of mine played to no end. By St Anger they were a lame joke.

I remember hearing the news that Rick Rubin was producing their new album.. .Reign In Hell Rick Rubin... I still could give 2 cruds about them, but this knowledge was enough to keep me from hitting the button on my sirius radio when i saw a new song from them pop up (Sirius has been playing a lot of it, about 4 tracks). Those 4 songs had kicked my ass, i was in disbelief every time i heard ANOTHER track form the album that was awesome. I bought it off itunes this morning, it's insanely heavy and old school.

Now, the cynic in me is still saying this is just a bunch of old guys pulling a double-sellout by "covering" their own old sound, hell, by this point they have played longer the lame way than they had the awesome way. But even though I keep thinking that, I can't help digging this album. Are they still sell out, lame farks? Hell yeah, they still recorded that 90's crap. Have they released their best album since Justice? Easily, the album harkens back to everything that made them great: long songs, mot coming in around 8 minutes or so; blistering fast solos, rapid fire drums; multiple tempo changes mid song and a barking Hetfield (the crooner is absent for the most part). Sellouts or not, this album kicks a$$.

Listened to the first single a few days ago. First 6 minutes is the same old dreck they've been doing for 15 long sell out years. The last 2 minutes is OK at best.

It'll take more than that to win me back. Give me Battery and Blackened. Everything since is garbage.

Listened to the first single a few days ago. First 6 minutes is the same old dreck they've been doing for 15 long sell out years. The last 2 minutes is OK at best.

It'll take more than that to win me back. Give me Battery and Blackened. Everything since is garbage.

I can't even argue to, I agree with your thougths for the most part... except this new album sounds like nothing like they have done in the past 15 years, it's sounds like Lightning, Puppets and Justice.

I was shocked to be digging any new music from them. Have they earned me back as a "fan" really? Doubt it, but this album is really good.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Metallica went back to the song structure they used before Bob Rock tried his best to kill them back during the black album. This album is no were near "sell out" years, which is as stupid of a label as can be said about music but that something else all together.

This is the first time since Cliff Burton died in 86 that they've had true low end with Trujillo, who is an absolute monster on the bass. Yes, the album is great. Yes, Lars fixed the drum sound. Yes, Hetfeild and Hammet remembered how to actually play the guitars, and yes, Robert Trujillo continues his streak of being on great albums.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Metallica went back to the song structure they used before Bob Rock tried his best to kill them back during the black album. This album is no were near "sell out" years, which is as stupid of a label as can be said about music but that something else all together.

This is the first time since Cliff Burton died in 86 that they've had true low end with Trujillo, who is an absolute monster on the bass. Yes, the album is great. Yes, Lars fixed the drum sound. Yes, Hetfeild and Hammet remembered how to actually play the guitars, and yes, Robert Trujillo continues his streak of being on great albums.

This album is really really good. I wouldn't call them sellouts by going back to something that really really was good. I like this album a WHOLE LOT!!!!!! Rick Rubin demonstrates that regardless of style, he can bring out the best in any performer.

I just wish we can go from Justice to Magnetic and forget about ALL the crap that Bob Rock forced on the band. He RUINS music!!!!!!!

I was all ready to say "Yeah right...". Decided to listen to a bit on Youtube.

Wow. It's amazing what a good producer can do for your sound. The recording has that same garage feel that made their pre-black albums so good. Too bad its about 15 years too late as I dont really dig this kind of music anymore.

Everything I have heard off of the new album sounds really good to me. My son bought it and is bringing it with him when he moves here this weekend, I can hardly wait to add it to the Ipod. We are going to see them here in DC January 15th as well.

Everything I have heard off of the new album sounds really good to me. My son bought it and is bringing it with him when he moves here this weekend, I can hardly wait to add it to the Ipod. We are going to see them here in DC January 15th as well.

You got a link to the lineup? I'd be down to hit that show with ya.

You got a link to the lineup? I'd be down to hit that show with ya.

Not really sure about the lineup, I will ask my son though since he would know :wacko: That would be awesome, in addition to a Skins-Boys game :D

ETA: He thinks it is just Metallica by themselves

Edited by T_bone65

Not really sure about the lineup, I will ask my son though since he would know :wacko: That would be awesome, in addition to a Skins-Boys game :D

Metallica is playing with Down here in the Lou in November. I would imagine they will stay with them for a while. Now THAT'S a HEAVY band!!! WOW! Prepare yourself :D

I'm definitely down for the Skins - Cowboys game. $150/ticket for 400 level seats. Let me know if you got a better source.

So I finally sat down and listened to this, and I think I've figured it out.

Metallica is no longer the crappy alt-rock band they were in the mid 90s with Load and Reload.

They're a bad Metallica cover band now. They sound like they really want to be Metallica circa 1984 again, but just can't pull it off. The music isn't awful here, and just saying that is a huge step up from the last 15 years or so - there's definitely some wicked solos. But the lyrics are laughably, painfully horrible.

Didn't anyone here see "Some Kind of Monster"? Can you possbly take this "band" seriously after seeing it?

Nothing says rock n' roll like having a 40K/month psychiatrist. :wacko:

As far as the new song goes, I happen to dig it quite a bit, but that might just because they have set the bar so low since the Black Album.