[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gus Frerotte will start Sunday

MikesVikes

It's not the QB, it's the HC, OC and play calling. Gus will be slightly better than TJax, because he has a bit more experience, but he's destined to fail in this disaster of a system. The good news about that is that Childress will be exposed and hopefully fired before too long. Bill Cowher in Minnesota would make mah pants very tight.

Considering Childress says Gus will start the rest of the season, I'm thinking it doesn't help...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jH9Y144...LRhGVQD938L5OG3

So should I play Leinart over TJax?

Sorry. I was being sarcastic in the first post. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across very well in a forum. :wacko:

Gus might end up being the better QB this season, but he's still going to have to play within the confines of the frustrating Childress offense. So maybe now we will complete a couple more 3 yard passes before we punt. Good thing we didn't compromise with Houston to trade for Rosenfels. I think they were asking for a 2nd round draft pick, but we simply could NOT be bothered to go any higher than a 3rd rounder. Well played!

Does that mean you don't want to trade for him in AOTAOP? :wacko:

I thought he was pretty good a few years back but Mike is right, it is still the same Childress offense

Childress is a Mary had a Little Lamb, he just said yesterday that T-Jax was his starter. Now he does a 180. I don't mind that Gus is starting but that is bad leadership. Players will and should not respect that kind of coach. Either stick behind your words or don't say them! This is strickly a cover you hinder move by Childress, but I guess if Gus stinks too he will no linger have a place to hide!

If it were all Chilly's call, then I am in agreement with you. Mixed message not befitting of a good leader. I have a feeling the directive came from above, though, as Cheez points out below.

Smells like a Zygi move to me. :wacko:

Agreed. I think ZW is looking for a little more ROI and feels it starts with better QB play that he's hoping he can get out of Gus.

It's not the QB, it's the HC, OC and play calling. Gus will be slightly better than TJax, because he has a bit more experience, but he's destined to fail in this disaster of a system. The good news about that is that Childress will be exposed and hopefully fired before too long. Bill Cowher in Minnesota would make mah pants very tight.

+1

While I am pleased I will no longer have to watch TJack fail to learn the QB position before my eyes on a weekly basis, my expectations for the team with Frerrotte at the helm are not much greater. He is more experienced and accurate but less mobile. Should make more plays and keep more drives alive but its not like we just turned the reigns over to a guy who is likely to put up monster stats and turn the passing game into a league leader. He is shackled by the playcalling and personnel same as Jackson was and I agree he will do only slightly better. Shanko can drop a Frerrotte pass as easily as one from Jackson...

What I am curious to know (moreso than how GF will do this weekend) is what the plan is now? I mean, you dont go this long touting a guy as your future at QB and then chitcan him without thinking about a Plan B, do you? I am very curious to see what they have in mind because they could very well end up in the same spot again very soon. Assuming Gus finishes out the season with decent but not good results, where do they go from there? Is Booty picking up the offense and improving to the point they'd feel ok with him? Do they go QB in the draft again? Do they go FA and give up on trying to "grow their own" QB for a while and try to take advantage of what appears to be a window of opportunity to make a run? I would love to have been a fly on the wall at Winter Park or eavesdropped on the conf call.

And as far as Cowher, I think it would be a good fit if he has interest in coaching here. We've seen what he can do with a defense and good rushing game and I like his style. Looking back, I think it was important for the Vikes to get a coach with some credibility after the Dennis Green and Mike Tice eras. They didnt, and I think it shows. Maybe Cowher would be the kind of guy to start getting max effort and results out of some of these guys? I wouldnt mind finding out...

Tarvaris Jackson's mother: Vikings didn't give him fair shake

Tarvaris Jackson's mother had been scheduled to fly from Alabama to Minnesota to watch her son quarterback the Vikings against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Sanque Jackson received a telephone call Wednesday from her son saying he had lost his starting job to Gus Frerotte. She will be coming to Minnesota anyway, she said. She plans to arrive today. "I'm not canceling my trip; he's still on the team regardless," she said from Montgomery, Ala. "It's still his team whether he's starting or not, so I'm supporting him. I'll be there." Mrs. Jackson said Tarvaris expressed disappointment when he called with the news. "Because he didn't expect it to happen," she said. "But it's not like he blew his mind, either. He's handling it pretty well. "You know we're not going to like it, but that's the way it is. You have to do whatever it takes to win the game. "But I don't think they really gave him a fair shake because, if you're running the ball more than you're throwing the ball, then how is he going to be comfortable with his position? How's he going to be comfortable passing to his receivers if he's not been able to throw it enough?" Sanque said she has confidence that her son will regain the starting job. "I strongly believe that," she said. -- Pioneer Press

Tarvaris Jackson's mother: Vikings didn't give him fair shake

Tarvaris Jackson's mother had been scheduled to fly from Alabama to Minnesota to watch her son quarterback the Vikings against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Sanque Jackson received a telephone call Wednesday from her son saying he had lost his starting job to Gus Frerotte. She will be coming to Minnesota anyway, she said. She plans to arrive today. "I'm not canceling my trip; he's still on the team regardless," she said from Montgomery, Ala. "It's still his team whether he's starting or not, so I'm supporting him. I'll be there." Mrs. Jackson said Tarvaris expressed disappointment when he called with the news. "Because he didn't expect it to happen," she said. "But it's not like he blew his mind, either. He's handling it pretty well. "You know we're not going to like it, but that's the way it is. You have to do whatever it takes to win the game. "But I don't think they really gave him a fair shake because, if you're running the ball more than you're throwing the ball, then how is he going to be comfortable with his position? How's he going to be comfortable passing to his receivers if he's not been able to throw it enough?" Sanque said she has confidence that her son will regain the starting job. "I strongly believe that," she said. -- Pioneer Press

Part of me says this sounds like a parent who is disappointed as she no doubt wants the best for her son and I cant really blame her for that. Part of me says this sounds like just another parent who believes their child can do no wrong/has no faults and its the world that has the problem...

Having never met the woman, I will give her the benefit of the doubt.