[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some Ike victims may not be allowed to rebuild

polksalet

That is insane ... I love our country but we have way too many stupid , unfair laws

nope, that is totally fair and the owners are informed at time of purchase and it is spelled out in their title policies. FWIW every state I know of has a law like this.

I don't have a problem with them rebuilding if they sign some kind of waiver that states they will not receive any state or federal monies for future storm related damages. What I find crazy is that we as a country and tax payers continue to offer emegency assistance and help in rebuilding in ares that are prone to this kind of destruction.

I don't have a problem with them rebuilding if they sign some kind of waiver that states they will not receive any state or federal monies for future storm related damages. What I find crazy is that we as a country and tax payers continue to offer emegency assistance and help in rebuilding in ares that are prone to this kind of destruction.

the point is that as the state;s property boundary moves so does everyone else's. Ocean boundaries are ambulatory, it is a fact of life.

the point is that as the state;s property boundary moves so does everyone else's. Ocean boundaries are ambulatory, it is a fact of life.

Yep. My father lives on a lake. He doesn not own the property he lives on. He has a 99 year lease from nearby city that owns the lake, that renews every year. He has built a house on the property, built a boat house on the property and a number of other improvements. He can sale his lease at any time. If he were to sale it right now, he could get quite a bit of money for it. However, if the city ever decides it is not going to renew the leases, His property value would plummet. It is a risk he is willing to take.

Then everyone needs to move out of Tornado Alley right now...

Polk, with your surveyors knowledge, would you ever allow a city like New Orleans to built today?

I'm no Polk, but the location of New Orleans at the intersection of the Gulf and the Mississippi is critical to the shipping trade. I do not think there is any way around having a city there.

I'm no Polk, but the location of New Orleans at the intersection of the Gulf and the Mississippi is critical to the shipping trade. I do not think there is any way around having a city there.

I am have been in the shipping business for many years ...there are ways to move cargo efficiently in that region and not having to rely on New Orleans..this is not to say that New Orleans does not have a value in the trade but its not a complete necessity

Edited by isleseeya

Polk, with your surveyors knowledge, would you ever allow a city like New Orleans to built today?

just so that I am clear on your question are you asking if we should build a ity of 500,000 people on top of a drained marsh where the land itself was formed by billions of years of hurricanes and erosion and stil continues to get flooded and blown away all the time while the land is sinking (subsidence new orleans, google it) faster than nearly any other place on the planet and there are 400k people in ghettos with only around 100k of thepopulation involved in any way in shipping?

Yeah, I think it is a great idea to develop places like that.

"I'm no Polk, but the location of New Orleans at the intersection of the Gulf and the Mississippi is critical to the shipping trade. I do not think there is any way around having a city there."

Why do we need a giant city of filth to service a shipping port? We could build some housing 20 miles inland for the workers to live.

Why do we need a giant city of filth to service a shipping port? We could build some housing 20 miles inland for the workers to live.

Have you been to Slidell?

New Orleans and Galveston are the finest examples of debauchery associated with shipping ports that this country has left. I think they are worth salvaging.

As much as it sucks and I feel for those people, you can't say they were not warned that this could very well happen one day.

"Every one of them was warned of that in their earnest money contract, in the deed they received, in the title policy they bought," he said. "And whether you like it or not, neither the Constitution of the United States nor the state of Texas nor any law permits you to have a structure on state-owned property that's subject to the flow of the tide."

Yep. My father lives on a lake. He doesn not own the property he lives on. He has a 99 year lease from nearby city that owns the lake, that renews every year. He has built a house on the property, built a boat house on the property and a number of other improvements. He can sale his lease at any time. If he were to sale it right now, he could get quite a bit of money for it. However, if the city ever decides it is not going to renew the leases, His property value would plummet. It is a risk he is willing to take.

He doesn't live on Lake Cherokee does he? I am pretty sure thats the way they do it there too.