[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What value is a safe deposit box?

rocknrobn26

Unless you have cash your hiding from the feds or a coin collection, stamp collection, or other valuables, why would one need one?

The wife wants one to put our Life insurance policies in one and some other docs, but i remember reading that the last thing you want to put in one ARE Insurance policies! We have 2 of those fireproof boexes now, in the house.

So the question is:

What should be in the safe deposit box and what should not?

I use one for birth certificates, car titles, passports and other documents that I don't frequently use and don't want in my house, even in a fire proof box. I have also stored some master dvd's of pictures and videos of the kids along with every financial account and passwords. Basically, my philosophy is if somebody came into my house, stole everything they could and then torched it, what would I need to recover the fastest.

Safe deposit boxes offer security and secrecy. They're great for things like original stock certificates, bearer bonds, investment grade jewels/precious metals, or homemade pron you shot with the girlfriend just *before* your wife; valuable stuff that there is simply no reason to keep around the house. IMO, they're not worth the effort just for original documents that can be replaced or easily verified. But originals wills, trust agreements, power of attorney, etc. can be worth stashing there, assuming you have an impressive net worth.

Safe deposit boxes offer security and secrecy. They're great for things like original stock certificates, bearer bonds, investment grade jewels/precious metals, or homemade pron you shot with the girlfriend just *before* your wife; valuable stuff that there is simply no reason to keep around the house. IMO, they're not worth the effort just for original documents that can be replaced or easily verified. But originals wills, trust agreements, power of attorney, etc. can be worth stashing there, assuming you have an impressive net worth.

No pron.................but there was this redhead I met in a bar in college....................Never mind. She was beautiful though................Stop that!!!!!

Never thought about wills and trusts.....power of attorney........that sounds worthy, but If I were to go toes up doesn't the bank lock those docs and make them inaccessible?

I use one for birth certificates, car titles, passports and other documents that I don't frequently use and don't want in my house, even in a fire proof box. I have also stored some master dvd's of pictures and videos of the kids along with every financial account and passwords. Basically, my philosophy is if somebody came into my house, stole everything they could and then torched it, what would I need to recover the fastest.

...helpful info...

No pron.................but there was this redhead I met in a bar in college....................Never mind. She was beautiful though................Stop that!!!!!

Never thought about wills and trusts.....power of attorney........that sounds worthy, but If I were to go toes up doesn't the bank lock those docs and make them inaccessible?

Your power of attorney for assets (as opposed to health care) *should* bestow your agent with the power to access your safety deposit box. While I always recommend that originals be kept in a safety deposit box or fire proof safe, copies are fine to have around the house, if you so choose. Some folks like to keep that stuff away from prying eyes, though. So you could also give copies to your executor/successor trustee so they don't have to go looking around for that stuff in the event of your demise.

:wacko:

I came very close to stocking up 3 or 4 of these things before they stop making them, just in case.

I think jewelers will be making wedding rings for a long time ... you shouldn't need to worry about them stopping any time soon.

Well we keep a small coin collection, foreign currency, passports, birth certificates, SS cards, MIL's life insurance policies, other various docs and a wad of cash. It's cheap and gives us peace of mind.

I really liked the idea of putting some picture CD's in there, so I will be mentioning that to the wife.

Okay...this thing went in the toidy after Hat's post. And actually some other's before. :wacko:

BUT......to those of you that posted REAL answers......:D and thanks. Gonna share it w/ Mrs. RR. Always get good advice here.