[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guns dont kill people?

DemonKnight

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter brainlessness was what killed this child. Brainlessness of everyone involved in allowing him to get his hands on this weapon and fire it.

No kidding! I'm all for teaching kids to shoot. I've taught both of my daughters (7 & 10) to shoot. I'm always present (like right behind them) when they shoot. They only shoot guns that I deem appropriate for them. I just bought a new (used) pistol that I won't let them near because it is way too much gun for them. I wouldn't let my girls shoot my 12 ga, but I'll let them shoot a 410 all day long. The gun didn't kill this kid it was the idiots that let him shoot the gun that killed the kid.

No kidding! I'm all for teaching kids to shoot. I've taught both of my daughters (7 & 10) to shoot. I'm always present (like right behind them) when they shoot. They only shoot guns that I deem appropriate for them. I just bought a new (used) pistol that I won't let them near because it is way too much gun for them. I wouldn't let my girls shoot my 12 ga, but I'll let them shoot a 410 all day long. The gun didn't kill this kid it was the idiots that let him shoot the gun that killed the kid.

It's disagreements like the one we are about to have that are the reasons laws get put on the books.

I have a 7 year old niece. She's all gangly, doesn't write her letters perfectly yet but has definitely gotten past the "coloring in the lines" challenge. She can almost reliably tie her shoes, and only falls sometimes when she tries to kick the soccerball.

JMO, but 7 is too young to be handling a loaded firearm of any kind. The physical capability is not yet reliable enough. I would add that a child is not old enough until they are mature enough to understand the ramifications and consequences of making a mistake. 7 isn't there yet.

10, I don't have a big issue with. Obviously not quite at uzi age yet. .22s are there for a reason.

This law evidently needs tightening up a bit e.g. defining "supervision" and maybe putting in a minimum age but in general we really don't need more laws - we need better application of existing laws.

This applies to a much wider field than firearms.

It's disagreements like the one we are about to have that are the reasons laws get put on the books.

I have a 7 year old niece. She's all gangly, doesn't write her letters perfectly yet but has definitely gotten past the "coloring in the lines" challenge. She can almost reliably tie her shoes, and only falls sometimes when she tries to kick the soccerball.

JMO, but 7 is too young to be handling a loaded firearm of any kind. The physical capability is not yet reliable enough. I would add that a child is not old enough until they are mature enough to understand the ramifications and consequences of making a mistake. 7 isn't there yet.

10, I don't have a big issue with. Obviously not quite at uzi age yet. .22s are there for a reason.

Everyone is different. My 7 year old is a lot more coordinated than my 10 year old. She is also a lot better shot. As a result, she got to learn to shoot with real guns two years earlier than her older sister. As long as me, one of her grandfaters or uncles are right behind them when they are shooting I think it is good for them. If they are shooting an appropriate gun with appropriate supervision that is constantly reinforcing gun safety and there to prevent any unsafe use or practices, then I think it is good.

Unfortunately, you'll get the response, "well, my kid is capable of doing it and I don't want anyone telling me otherwise."

To those people... we have all kinds of laws that are created with a broadbrush. What's wrong with that? You can't drive until 16yo, vote or serve in the military until 18yo...

Why can't their be laws stating minimum ages to handle various weapons?

Which is again why I said that these disagreements are the reasons paws get made...

Everyone is different. My 7 year old is a lot more coordinated than my 10 year old. She is also a lot better shot. As a result, she got to learn to shoot with real guns two years earlier than her older sister. As long as me, one of her grandfaters or uncles are right behind them when they are shooting I think it is good for them. If they are shooting an appropriate gun with appropriate supervision that is constantly reinforcing gun safety and there to prevent any unsafe use or practices, then I think it is good.

I am certainly not going to argue with you about your judgement with respect to what you expose your children to. I don't agree with your choices, but I am not face to face with the situation.

What this event in Massachusetts shows is that people are not necessarily capable of making good judgements when it comes to exposing a child to a firearm. Laws will be put in place here to prevent it.

The argument could be made that one idiot father will be responsible for this, but that is not the case. There is the Range owner. There is the range officer. There is the person that rented the firearm for use by an 8 year old. There is the mother that allowed her 8 year old to go someplace where machine guns are being shot. There are all the adults that were in view of this happening. They all had a chance to stop it, and they just didn't. And now gun rights for all may suffer from it.

I am certainly not going to argue with you about your judgement with respect to what you expose your children to. I don't agree with your choices, but I am not face to face with the situation.

What this event in Massachusetts shows is that people are not necessarily capable of making good judgements when it comes to exposing a child to a firearm. Laws will be put in place here to prevent it.

The argument could be made that one idiot father will be responsible for this, but that is not the case. There is the Range owner. There is the range officer. There is the person that rented the firearm for use by an 8 year old. There is the mother that allowed her 8 year old to go someplace where machine guns are being shot. There are all the adults that were in view of this happening. They all had a chance to stop it, and they just didn't. And now gun rights for all may suffer from it.

I agree that a number of people are at fault. I have no problem with restrictions of gun use for children if they aren't over reaching. One restriction that I have is my kids only get to shoot bolt action rifles and broken barrell shotguns. They don't get to shot pistols at all. Those are personal restrictions I place on them. If I am behind them, I can grab the rifle if need be, and buy shooting what amounts to single guns you avoid just the type of thing that happened to the kid in the original post. I don't allow my kids to shoot pistols, as it too had for me to see what they are aiming at, and would be much harder to grab should they start to point it in the wrong direction. I'd have absolutely no problem with a law that required kids to be 16 to fire pistols, or semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

I agree that a number of people are at fault. I have no problem with restrictions of gun use for children if they aren't over reaching. One restriction that I have is my kids only get to shoot bolt action rifles and broken barrell shotguns. They don't get to shot pistols at all. Those are personal restrictions I place on them. If I am behind them, I can grab the rifle if need be, and buy shooting what amounts to single guns you avoid just the type of thing that happened to the kid in the original post. I don't allow my kids to shoot pistols, as it too had for me to see what they are aiming at, and would be much harder to grab should they start to point it in the wrong direction. I'd have absolutely no problem with a law that required kids to be 16 to fire pistols, or semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

Fair enough. As I said, I might not agree with your choices but I am not i your shoes and it's not my family. It's a matter of a couple years of growth for me. I am sure you act responsibly with your kids and am not trying to take away from that.

As far as the requirements/restrictions you speak of, I agree. Machine guns should be an 18+ endeavor IMO. After all, at 18 they can shoot them in the military.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I think parents should be held responsible and that's about it. Well, the dumb ass range master in this case should also be flogged and thrown in prison.

I do let my kids shoot pistols - let me explain why. I had each of my kids shoot my .45 (a good sized pistol with a lot of recoil and a lot of noise) at about the age of 4. I did it in a very controlled environment, me holding their hands on the gun, 1 round in the pipe and let them pull the trigger. As planned, it scared the freakin' bejeebers out of each of them. That experience for each of them was followed by a calm discussion about how dangerous guns can be and that they should never touch a gun if they find one and to tell an adult. None of my kids had the urge to shoot any pistol for years after that experience. That worked for me.

Now that I've got a couple of older kids, I let them plink with a .22 pistol all they want - with me right behind them to coach. I'm more comfortable with them handling a pistol than many of the whackos I see at commercial ranges - as witnessed buy the bullet holes in the benches, chairs and partitions between lanes. :wacko:

Should Children be handling automatic weapons? probably not.... do they have the right?...of course they do, under supervision of their parents......Even when a tragedy like this happens it doesnt mean anything.

This law evidently needs tightening up a bit e.g. defining "supervision" and maybe putting in a minimum age but in general we really don't need more laws - we need better application of existing laws.

This applies to a much wider field than firearms.

I just look at this a another form of natural selection.... too bad he didn't get his daddy also....

:wacko:

Let me first say that I don't have kids and I will probably be ripped for this but....

Why would you teach a 7 year old to shoot guns?

Hate to bring it up again but the topic of having pit bulls around children is the same issue. At 7 years old kids are not mentally capable of making all good decisions. Plus what do you get out of teaching a young kid to shoot guns? Is it enjoyment for them? At 7 she can have just as much fun fun playing with a webkins and there is no danger. You might be supervising and taking every precaution you think is necessary but there is still inherent danger teaching a young kid to shoot a deadly weapon.

I just don't get it????

I thought gun owners were thoughtful and responsible?

And apparently kick-ass athletes too.

As a group,legal gun owners are among the most law abiding and responsible subsections of citizen that can be classified.

That does not make the group immune to having people that do not fit this criteria infiltrate it, it just makes those people statistically irrelevant.

I am severely outraged at this event on several levels. Something like this should never have occurred. I can't even imagine how an adult person of any IQ would put an automatic weapon in the hands of an 8 year old, regardless of how impeccable the supervision was.

That does not mean that the care taken by the majority of gun owners is lessened by this one accident.