[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rifles for Kids

Perchoutofwater

I'm thinking of getting my daughter (10) a rifle for Christmas. What is a good caliber for a kid to use? I killed my first deer at 7 with a .357 carbine, my next gun was a .30-30, but both have a little more kick that what I think she would be comfortable with. I was thinking about getting her a .243. A buddy of mine mentiong a 22-250, but I'm not sure if that is enough gun to put down a deer with a less than perfect shot. I'd love to have the 22-250, as I would love to use it on varmits when whe isn't using it on deer, but I really don't want to be tracking every deer she shoots all over kingdom come. If you were getting your 10 year old a rifle for whitetail, what would it be?

I'm thinking of getting my daughter (10) a rifle for Christmas. What is a good caliber for a kid to use? I killed my first deer at 7 with a .357 carbine, my next gun was a .30-30, but both have a little more kick that what I think she would be comfortable with. I was thinking about getting her a .243. A buddy of mine mentiong a 22-250, but I'm not sure if that is enough gun to put down a deer with a less than perfect shot. I'd love to have the 22-250, as I would love to use it on varmits when whe isn't using it on deer, but I really don't want to be tracking every deer she shoots all over kingdom come. If you were getting your 10 year old a rifle for whitetail, what would it be?

.243 is a good place to start. .22-250 is too small, IMO. .25-06 or .257 Roberts (if it's still made) are other good choices.

Remington now offers "reduced recoil" loads for popular loading s like .270 Winchester and .30-06. They are lower velocity loads with smaller bullets still capable of cleanly killing game.

More important than caliber, make sure the rifle will fit your daughter. Consider buying a popular model of rifle in your caliber of choice and cutting down the stock to fit her. You can always buy a full-size after market stock when she grows big enough.

I shot my first deer with a .22-250. I shot about 5 deer with it in fact. I didn't have to track one of them. It should be perfect for those little Texas deer.

I now shoot a .25-06 and it scares the hell out of me. My Remmington kicks like a mule. There is no way I would let anyone under 18 shoot my .25-06. After about five shots on the range, I put it away. I love the gun, hate the kick.

I now shoot a .25-06 and it scares the hell out of me. My Remmington kicks like a mule. There is no way I would let anyone under 18 shoot my .25-06. After about five shots on the range, I put it away. I love the gun, hate the kick.

:wacko:The .25-06 is one of the softest shooting rifles I've shot. Probably depends on the load, I guess. Perch, if you opt for this caliber - make sure you're shooting the 85 pr 90 gr bullets with a lighter powder charge.

:wacko:The .25-06 is one of the softest shooting rifles I've shot. Probably depends on the load, I guess. Perch, if you opt for this caliber - make sure you're shooting the 85 pr 90 gr bullets with a lighter powder charge.

I'll probably go with the .243. I always can borrow it out of season and throw some 55grs in it for varmits.

Polk Jr. shoots both my .308 and 7mm rm mag and he is 7. If noise isn't a concern you can go with a 7mm with a muzzle brake. Otherwise you might get one of thos esmall .243's i see from time to time. A .243 is like a death ray on whitetail.

.243 has very little recoil and should be sufficient for her needs. Some states wont allow you to use a .22-250 for deer hunting. Its a great gun for varmits as stated above, but if the shot is not spot on you may end up doing more tracking then you would like...

I concur...my 8 year old will be using a 30-30 this weekend with reduced coil loads.

Oh and FWIW, I'd have bought him a .243 if it we didn't have the spare 30-30 sitting around.

Edited by Hat Trick

My youngest son started with a Ruger Mini-14, 5.56. 60gr. Probably on the light side. If the shooter becomes afraid of the gun then accuracy will go completely out the window. The mini has minimal recoil and still delivers enough of an accurate punch to do the job.

Whatever happened to Barbie Dolls??

Daddy doesn't play with Barbie Dolls. It is something to do with the kids. I can get them outside, away from the TV, PS3, etc... and get some exercise in, while having fun, and teaching my daughters a skill that they can enjoy that will put meat on the table, teach them how to survive if necessary. We enjoy the time together. They actually get mad at me when I go hunting and don't take them along.

My wife is the youngest of 7 girls. Her dad used to take the older girls hunting with him all the time. When my wife got old enough to go, her parents were divorced and she didn't get to. She still resents the hell out of that. Just because they are girls doesn't mean that don't like to or want to hunt.

Polk Jr. shoots both my .308 and 7mm rm mag and he is 7. If noise isn't a concern you can go with a 7mm with a muzzle brake. Otherwise you might get one of thos esmall .243's i see from time to time. A .243 is like a death ray on whitetail.

I too was going to suggest a .308, but I have an H&R ultra-rifle in .243. I hand load with 100-gr, long-ogive Noslers or Hornadys and that sucker shoots like it has eyes out to 300 yards. Of course, we have to go find a beanfield in S. GA or a power-line right-of-way to shoot that far down here. :wacko:

The .243 is just a .308 case necked down to accept 6mm (.243 inch) bullets, so a lightly-loaded .308 (again, like Jimmy said, lighter bullets usually produce less recoil). Are you stand hunting? If she's gonna have to carry the gun then you'll need a light gun and I'd go with the .243. But +1000 on cutting the stock down to fit her for whatever you buy. And if she really likes to shoot make her use iron sights if your shots aren't that long. One of the best things my Dad ever did for me was not let me put a scope on my rifles till I was out on my own.

Gotta agree with HolyRoll, for a 10 yo child's first gun any deer caliber seems to big to me.

We were started with bolt single shot .22s , primarily to learn the mechanics of a firearm , more importantly gun safety ; and to have some fun also.

.22s have almost no kick + the ammo is cheap.

.22s have almost no kick + the ammo is cheap.

Not nearly as cheap as it used to be! Federal and Remington bonus bricks (550 rnds) are nearly $15. That's still not a lot of money, but it's twice what they were just a few years ago.

I shoot mainly CCI Mini-mags and they are up to $6.99/100. I used to get them on sale for $2.

Don't get me started on .45 ACP and 5.56. :wacko:

Some people rant about gas prices - I biyatch about ammo. :D

Not nearly as cheap as it used to be! Federal and Remington bonus bricks (550 rnds) are nearly $15. That's still not a lot of money, but it's twice what they were just a few years ago.

I shoot mainly CCI Mini-mags and they are up to $6.99/100. I used to get them on sale for $2.

Don't get me started on .45 ACP and 5.56. :wacko:

Some people rant about gas prices - I biyatch about ammo. :D

A progressive press will pay for itself in less than 6 mos if you're a hi-vol shooter. Take a little more if you buy one of the bad-boys, but still well worth the money!

A progressive press will pay for itself in less than 6 mos if you're a hi-vol shooter. Take a little more if you buy one of the bad-boys, but still well worth the money!

I keep trying to tell myself this very thing, but have never pulled the trigger. When I was doing more competitive shooting, I passed on a killer deal on a Dillon 550 with tons of accessories. :D

I need to get the crap in my garage moved to a yet-to-be-constructed shed in the back yard - then I'd have room for a good reloading setup.

Maybe I'll write a note to Santa. :wacko:

I keep trying to tell myself this very thing, but have never pulled the trigger. When I was doing more competitive shooting, I passed on a killer deal on a Dillon 550 with tons of accessories. :D

I need to get the crap in my garage moved to a yet-to-be-constructed shed in the back yard - then I'd have room for a good reloading setup.

Maybe I'll write a note to Santa. :wacko:

If money is no object, you will never regret buying a Dillon. I have a Lee pro-1000 and even that POS cranks out a couple-hundred rounds of .45 ACP an hour. You only have to stop to re-load the components! I use the single stage for my accuracy stuff. You'd be surpised how well that $200 ultra-rifle shoots with anal-retentive brass weighed, neck-turned hanloads...

If money is no object, you will never regret buying a Dillon. I have a Lee pro-1000 and even that POS cranks out a couple-hundred rounds of .45 ACP an hour. You only have to stop to re-load the components! I use the single stage for my accuracy stuff. You'd be surpised how well that $200 ultra-rifle shoots with anal-retentive brass weighed, neck-turned hanloads...

I have not loaded a lot of handgun or rifle ammo, just a little of each. I did reload a lot of shot shells as a kid because my best friend had a press and I had quite a habit.

Are the progressive presses flexible enough to do pistol, rifle and shotty ammo? Rifle is my last need - I imagine it's still tough to reload .223/5.56 cheaper than you can buy it (when you can find it). The larger calibers I don't shoot enough to worry about reloading. Though you're right about working up pet loads for individual rifles - that has always appealed to me. I've shot exactly one 1-hole group in my life - with a friends heavy varmint .22-250. That was an awesome feeling. I'd love to be able to do that with an -06 or .300. That new winny rifle I tried last weekend shot about 2 MOA, but I had a less than ideal bench (folding camp chair and table with a sleeping bag on top :wacko: ).