[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers fire defensive coordinator

Chief

Chargers fire Cotrell, name Rivera new defensive coordinator

San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers announced Tuesday that inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera has been named the team's new defensive coordinator following the termination of defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell.

Rivera is in his second season in San Diego after spending the previous three seasons (2004-06) as the defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears. In 2006, the Bears finished fifth in overall defense, third in scoring defense and led the NFL with 44 takeaways on their way to appearing in Super Bowl XLI.

Cottrell was on the Chargers’ staff in 2007-08.

The Chargers, who have dropped two games in a row, gave up 37 points in Sunday's loss to the Saints.

per NFL.com

Pretty predictable, but I thought they might wait until the end of the season.

Here's the official notice from the UT web site today:

Cottrell is sacked as defensive coordinator

Kevin Acee (Contact)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Chargers fired Ted Cottrell as defensive coordinator Tuesday and replaced him with inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera.

"There are areas we just have to play better," head coach Norv Turner said. "We have to improve over the next 10 days. Those are the areas we're going to address. Hopefully we'll show improvement not only right away but over the next eight games."

Just last week, General Manager A.J. Smith said there would be no coaching changes until after the season, and team president Dean Spanos said he was pleased with the coaching staff.

But another game in which the Chargers allowed more than 30 points evidently was too much to take.

"It was probably after the game -- you have a chance at the bye to look at things you need to do," Turner said. "I don't think it ever comes down to one game. ... We had the same things happen to us over and over.

"Somewhere along the way I have to make a decision of how we're going to get to where we need to get to."

The Chargers rank 28th in the league in yards allowed, 23rd in points allowed and last in passing yards allowed.

While the Chargers have some issues in the secondary and have had trouble tackling at time, Turner has pointed to and reiterated Tuesday, "We have to create more pressure on the quarterback."

While the Chargers' offense has scored the second-most points in the NFL, they are just 3-5 in large part because of defensive breakdowns.

Rivera was defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears from 2004-06, after which his contract was not renewed. He joined the Chargers' staff that February, on the same day Turner was hired as head coach. Players credited him with helping implement a more aggressive attitude toward turnovers last season.

Cottrell also came as part of the Turner changeover. Both were hired with Turner's approval, but at Smith's behest.

Cottrell had previously been the defensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills (1998-2000), New York Jets (2001-03) and Minnesota Vikings (2004-05).

"The timing of it is when you have a bye you have an opportunity to spend a little more time in situations, evaluate things you need to evaluate," Turner said. "If we're going to make a move this was the time to do it. We have a guy in place with Ron Rivera who has experience.

"Ultimately, I've got to make a decision on what's best for our football team. ... There are a lot of things that went into the decision."

Is it fair to fire a DC when his star player is hurt? And wasnt his replacement hurt? I understand he isnt the whole team, but Merriman alone was a player defenses had to gameplan against. Without him, they dont get nearly as much pressure.

Werent they one of the top defenses in the league just last year?

It was only a few years ago that Rivera was in the running for several HC vacancies. I think he's a good coach. I saw enough of Cotrell in NY, and frankly, even though he was another coach Herm Edwards threw under the bus, I didn't think he was a good DC.

:D:D:wacko::D:D

I was actually hoping that Rivera got the HC job last year. After it was announced Turner was the new hire, I was still hoping he'd be the DC. I still can't believe we got him at all. Expect alot of LB blitz packages from here on out. Hopefully his defensive scheme will shore up a DL that is a shell of its former self. In the past, you would SIT your rb against the SD D. Now we got rookies breaking NFL rushing records against them. Pathetic.

Good luck to you Rivera...this job should have been yours to begin with.

Best Chargers news of the year! At least this gives us hope. The defense couldn't have been any worse and Cottrell's passive, bend-but-don't break defense schemes were horrible. We need a much more aggressive, attacking-style defense and I think Rivera fits the bill. Yeah!!!!

This is very true. The general tone of the defense this year has been passive. Hopefully Rivera can instill some aggressiveness in this listless bunch of underachievers.

Paging McBoog.....where you been guy? I'm pretty sure you were asking for this for awhile now correct?

Wow! Nice to be missed ?!?! And YES!!! Finally! :wacko:

I've been lurking, but a job change has had me going crazy. My 15-minute commute is now 1 1/2 hours... EACH WAY. They wanted my "skill set" at an op we are standing up. Don't have the excuse to chat wit challs while imaging web sites like I used to. It kinda sucks to be me right now 'cause I miss The Huddle. Even lost Gates in the 32 Homarrrrrs plundar draft. :D

Yeah, you have an offense that can put up 30 a game on almost anyone if you just get them the ball. If there is a problem with the Charger O is that it moves the ball too quickly and scored too fast. That hurts time of possession almost as much as giving up long drives.

With LT and the O-line starting to jell, I think that will help the D stay fresher. This is the first season LT has had the type of IN season injury that has limited his production, but if you have him on your roster, time to ride that pony to some BIG games. Very solid Special Teams as well!

As for the D. I think last year they were a little lucky with all the picks. The scheme did not change that much from last year to this, but an extra season with Teddy C turned them into WIMPS and nobody wants to bring the wood. Already having problems wrapping up tackles, they have been playing soft and when you get man-handled by a finesse teams like the Saints, you gotta change something! We have always been sh!tty on third and long, even under Wade Phillips. I don't think the Chargers have been told for a few decades that the Tight End is an eligible receiver. Just look at what Gonzo has done to the Bolts throughout his career! I have been re-living the Coryelle days of 56 to 53 (exaggeration) football games. I still go back to the basic belief that offense sells tickets and defense wins championships (just look at the Bears and Ravens of recent history. I still can't believe TRENT DILFER won a ring as a starting QB).

I see Rivera bringing a tougher mentality to the D and maybe fill some of the void, emotionally, they lost with Merriman. He hinted in his presser that he had to respect his position as an assistant and not overstep his bounds, but that he does see some things he wants to do differently. If covering the tight end is part of it, I'm up wit dat! :D

Fortunately, they have the Chiefs to experiment with a few things coming off the bye (no offense). Four out of their last five were on the road with the only home game a very emotional one against the Pats. 5 home games over the last eight and a softer schedule gives me hope for a playoff berth, but only if they win the division. With KC twice, the Raiders and the Broncos week 17, they could go 5-1 (thanx to Hock-a-loogie) in division and a 9-7 record could be enough to get them in. If they do, they will have to win a few road games to advance to the SB, always tough.

They are finally (sans Merriman) healthy, that offense is pick-your-poison, scary good right now and hopefully this change will spark something positive. I think that this season is more likely to end up as another "shoulda been", and the window for this current squad is gonna close in the next few seasons if they don't finally win a championship. I think they can this year, but it will take an emotional toll to get there and they could be too wiped to win the conference or the SB if they get that far.

i believe in our secondary. they cannot be expected to cover all day while the opposing QB scans the field.

its only halfway through the year and i've seen enough. this move had to be made. the loss of Merriman hurt a lot, but a DC has to be more imaginative with some blitz packages. bring a little pressure and maybe we'll see some plays like Cromartie was making last year.