[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gugierre

xMRogers

Although my interest in the NHL playoffs has waned a bit due to the Flyers punking out ONCE AGAIN!!!....this guy is incredible - if he takes them to the cup, this may go down as the greatest goalie run in the playoffs ever - anyone else agree?

Yeah, definite frontrunner for playoff MVP (he could arguably even get it if the Ducks make the finals and lose). What the hell is the name of that trophy anyway - is that the Calder or Art Ross?

Still, after the first few rounds, you've gotta think the Wild have the Ducks right where they want them - with a 3-1 advantage. wink

Clarke Hinkle*:

Yeah, definite frontrunner for playoff MVP (he could arguably even get it if the Ducks make the finals and lose). What the hell is the name of that trophy anyway - is that the Calder or Art Ross?

Still, after the first few rounds, you've gotta think the Wild have the Ducks right where they want them - with a 3-1 advantage.   wink  

Playoff MVP is the Conn Smythe. Calder is the ROY trophy, and Art Ross is the season's points leader.

And yes, "Jigger", as they're so amusingly calling him these days, has to be the current Conn Smythe favorite.

Peace

policy

• 2 weeks later...

What a bad call Babcock made last night by not pulling Giguere with a PP in the last minute. Bad coaching. How badly do they just need a goal, and when an empty-netter wouldn't really matter he should have yanked Giguere and tried to crack Broduer. The longer they don't score on him, the more it gets into there heads.

They're now the Peking Ducks because they are cooked and done.

Shoot high, rebound bounces off chest protecter or shoulder pads and BAMMM! GoalGoalGoalGoalGoalGoalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllGoal

It's for the ENTIRE playoffs, Blitz. Anaheim would've been bounced in the first round if not for JS. And 19 goals over 7 games works out to roughly a 2.71 GAA; not too bad.

I don't think you could have complained if either goalie got the Smythe, really.

Chavez:

It's for the ENTIRE playoffs, Blitz. Anaheim would've been bounced in the first round if not for JS. And 19 goals over 7 games works out to roughly a 2.71 GAA; not too bad.

I don't think you could have complained if either goalie got the Smythe, really.

Yup I understand ... but go look at Brodeur's numbers over the entire playoffs and they are VERY similiar with one exception ... Brodeur turned it up a notch when it counted.

Grits and Shins

Yup I understand ... but go look at Brodeur's numbers over the entire playoffs and they are VERY similiar with one exception ... Brodeur turned it up a notch when it counted.

Hm, if Brodeur turned it up a notch, and JS matched him for 6 of the 7 games, I'd say that doesn't give a huge edge to either of them.

code:
NAME            GP  W L T  GAA TGA  SV  SV% TSA SO 

J. Giguere, ANA 21 15 6 0 1.62 38 659 .945 697 5

M. Brodeur, NJD 24 16 8 0 1.65 41 581 .934 622 7

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

2003 POSTSEASON STATS

code:
VS.           GP MIN W L T GA  GAA SOG  SV   SV% ENG SO 

VS. DETROIT 4 289 4 0 0 6 1.25 171 165 .965 0 0

VS. DALLAS 6 422 4 2 0 13 1.85 202 189 .936 0 1

VS. MINNESOTA 4 268 4 0 0 1 0.22 123 122 .992 0 3

VS. NEW JERSEY 7 426 3 4 0 18 2.54 201 183 .910 0 1

Martin Brodeur

2003 POSTSEASON STATS

code:
VS.          GP MIN W L T GA  GAA SOG  SV   SV% ENG SO 

VS. BOSTON 5 283 4 1 0 8 1.70 134 126 .940 0 2

VS. TAMPA BAY 5 351 4 1 0 8 1.37 137 129 .942 0 1

VS. OTTAWA 7 438 4 3 0 13 1.78 191 178 .932 0 1

VS. ANAHEIM 7 416 4 3 0 12 1.73 160 148 .925 0 3

Looks to me like Giguere dominated Minnesota and that is the reason is overall numbers are slightly better ... but Brodeur was more consistent, had a better post season, posted an all time record 7 shut outs, AND won the cup.

Brodeur should have been the MVP.

I don't know that I'd necessarily buy that Brodeur was more consistent - if so, it was by an eyelash.

I wouldn't have complained if Brodeur had won the playoff MVP (can you believe that in the Devils 3 Cup wins, he has NEVER won the Smythe? eek! ), I just think Giguere was just as good of a choice.

Sure, Giggy dominated Minnesota the most but he was the main reason they beat the big boys of Detroit and Dallas. That counts for allot in my book. I think either guy was deserving but overall I think they gave the trophy to the right guy.